Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What phone did you get your Year 7 kid?

What phone did you get your Year 7 kid?

Old Feb 7th 2015, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What phone did you get your Year 7 kid?

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I think a fair few of you must be a lot younger than me. I honestly don't remember 'labels' being a thing and certainly don't remember anyone being bullied for what they were wearing. Neither of my daughters have ever been into labels and haven't been bullied for it either.

My brother put a tracking thing on his daughter's phone when she was 13/14 because she kept skipping school and lying about where she went. She found out after my brother tracked her down one day. It took years before their relationship recovered and he's regretted doing that ever since.
I'm not sure I'm much younger than you.Where I came from "Adidas" was a designer label.
Old Feb 7th 2015, 8:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irishbloo
I'm not sure I'm much younger than you.Where I came from "Adidas" was a designer label.
I guess but kids being bullied because they were wearing Woolies plimpsolls? Nah, didn't happen.
Old Feb 7th 2015, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

I guess but kids being bullied because they were wearing Woolies plimpsolls? Nah, didn't happen.
Me neither.Oh did.I found that hard to believe for back then.Mind you he is slightly younger than me,as he likes to constantly remind me and add another year difference every now and then.
Old Feb 7th 2015, 8:09 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

I thankfully never had any of the above.
Yeah but if you grew up in Limerick you probably thought a knife was the must-have accessory .

On balance I was from rural Clare so thought school was cutting turf and an accessory was a turf spade.
Old Feb 7th 2015, 8:39 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

I think a fair few of you must be a lot younger than me. I honestly don't remember 'labels' being a thing and certainly don't remember anyone being bullied for what they were wearing. Neither of my daughters have ever been into labels and haven't been bullied for it either.
I'm a lot younger than you (bwahahhahah) and never had labels as a thing either.

Just as well as we were as poor as owt.

Never noticed any interest for labels for the boys either and they didn't get mobiles until they were going off to uni/college and then it was a basic phone. I did go mad with their latest updates and let them have smart phones (whatever smart phone came 'free' with their payment plan) so they could have a train timetable app.

I'm obviously a terrible mother
Old Feb 7th 2015, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

My grade 7 daughter has an ancient (hand-me-down) lg mobile (not even a smart phone). I asked her if she wanted a nicer mobile (Nexus 5 like the one her older sister has) and her exact response was "I don't care for any of those new fangled phones". She just doesn't care!! She also had a very ancient laptop (Lenovo) that weighed a ton and was a pain to carry around especially when we were travelling. She refused our offer to replace it but I did it anyway (and she is very happy with her new laptop).

My oldest (now 19) also had a similar phone UNTIL she finished year 12. She just didn't care/ask us for a new, fancier mobile. Anyway, I gifted her a Nexus 5 and a Macbook Air after she graduated and started Uni.

Anyway, to answer your question, both my children neither had nor even asked us for mobiles/laptops/other gizmos to "compete"/keep up with their peers (they just didn't care) even though they knew that we would have no problem buying it for them.
Old Feb 7th 2015, 10:14 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Me neither.Oh did.I found that hard to believe for back then.Mind you he is slightly younger than me,as he likes to constantly remind me and add another year difference every now and then.
When Amy was at the local comp in the U.K she was desperate for a pair of Reebok classics in pink or pale blue. All the kids were wearing them & she wanted to be one of the sheep. She did the usual strop & sulk before Grandma relented & bought her some for her birthday [so she could fit in]
The next week Reeboks were out & Rockport shoes were in so she wanted some of those, with the obligatory Grolsch bottle caps for decoration. That didn't happen & I told her if she ruined her Reeboks to get a new pair they would be plastic jelly shoes.
Lucky for her we came out here soon after avoiding the Kappa, Fila etc. crazes. She looks just like your average ocker now
Old Feb 7th 2015, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Yeah but if you grew up in Limerick you probably thought a knife was the must-have accessory .

On balance I was from rural Clare so thought school was cutting turf and an accessory was a turf spade.
Where I went to school,the teacher would stand at the gate to ask if we had a knife.If we didn't he had a spare one for us.
Old Feb 7th 2015, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by IndieG
My grade 7 daughter has an ancient (hand-me-down) lg mobile (not even a smart phone). I asked her if she wanted a nicer mobile (Nexus 5 like the one her older sister has) and her exact response was "I don't care for any of those new fangled phones". She just doesn't care!! She also had a very ancient laptop (Lenovo) that weighed a ton and was a pain to carry around especially when we were travelling. She refused our offer to replace it but I did it anyway (and she is very happy with her new laptop).

My oldest (now 19) also had a similar phone UNTIL she finished year 12. She just didn't care/ask us for a new, fancier mobile. Anyway, I gifted her a Nexus 5 and a Macbook Air after she graduated and started Uni.

Anyway, to answer your question, both my children neither had nor even asked us for mobiles/laptops/other gizmos to "compete"/keep up with their peers (they just didn't care) even though they knew that we would have no problem buying it for them.
Your two sound like my two.They have never asked for the latest for fancy stuff but as they got older we did buy them some of the latest gadgets for birthdays and Christmas.My youngest does like all of that stuff but would never ask.My oldest,17 couldn't give a rats.Got her the Fit bit charge for Christmas.She loves running but has used it once.I think i will have it off her for me.If you ask her what she would like for her birthday she normally comes out with things like a punnet of raspberries,drawing pencils or baby bell cheese.
Old Feb 7th 2015, 11:14 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: What phone did you get your Year 7 kid?

Where I went to school,the teacher would stand at the gate to ask if we had a knife.If we didn't he had a spare one for us.
Southhill then?

Is Limerick still like that? Not been back since the late 90's.
Old Feb 7th 2015, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

If you ask her what she would like for her birthday she normally comes out with things like a punnet of raspberries,drawing pencils or baby bell cheese.
My kid wants a tub of Baskin Robbins Cotton Candy ice-cream for her 12th which is just around the corner
Old Feb 8th 2015, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

obiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to behold

thanks for the replies guys, i like the idea of a cheap android smartphone (seen them on ebay for $180) being able to track her for days she has to take the bus...fortunately the bus ride has at least 20 other girls from the same school..

also, is there more pressure to "fit in" if you are in an all-girls high school?
Old Feb 8th 2015, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Southhill then?

Is Limerick still like that? Not been back since the late 90's.
No,not Southhill.Limerick like most other city's has it rough spots.It has seen great improvement over the last ten years or so.We love going back there but haven't been back since 2011.
Old Feb 8th 2015, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by obiwan
thanks for the replies guys, i like the idea of a cheap android smartphone (seen them on ebay for $180) being able to track her for days she has to take the bus...fortunately the bus ride has at least 20 other girls from the same school..

also, is there more pressure to "fit in" if you are in an all-girls high school?
I don't know if there is more pressure to fit in at an all girls school.In our experience the boys can be just as bad as the girls.Having said that my daughter seemed to get on better with the boys than the girls.And not because they are cute boys.If you are worried about your daughter try to keep an open relationship.Let her know that she can come to you at anytime and that nothing will shock you.It can be hard starting big school and I'm sure she will be fine.She is lucky to have such a concerned parent.Keep talking.
Old Feb 8th 2015, 12:00 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

My Yr 7 son is using my still good 2011 Galaxy Note as a music player. I'll get him a sim for it later on this year

Some of the kids in his year have hand me down iphones and Samsungs. Others have no phones. I don't know any of that have an ip6 or S5

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.