Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What? No public holiday?!!!! OUTRAGE!!!!

What? No public holiday?!!!! OUTRAGE!!!!

Old Jan 5th 2009, 2:10 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of
Default What? No public holiday?!!!! OUTRAGE!!!!

The following are the usual public holidays in Qld(Brisbane):

New Years Day: 1st January (or monday thereafter if its a weekend)
Australia Day: 26th January (or monday therefter if its a weekend)
Good Friday: ???? (Determined by some complex algorithm)
Easter Monday: ?????
Anzac Day: 25th April
Labour Day: 1st Monday in May
Queens Birthday:1st Monday in June
Show Day: 2nd Wednesday in August
Christmas Day: 25th December (or monday therefter if its a weekend)
Boxing Day: 26th December (or monday or tuesday thereafter if a weekend)

All well and good and reasonably well understood, 10 days off a year, not as many as we'd all like no doubt - but thats the deal....

but THIS year we only get 9!!! 25th April is a Saturday and for some bizarre reason the holiday isnt transposed to monday the 27th...

I am shocked and apalled and predict a HUGE wave of sickness across the land!
Old Jan 5th 2009, 2:18 am
DMH
Forum Regular

DMH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What? No public holiday?!!!! OUTRAGE!!!!

Originally Posted by DadAgain

All well and good and reasonably well understood, 10 days off a year, not as many as we'd all like no doubt - but thats the deal....

but THIS year we only get 9!!! 25th April is a Saturday and for some bizarre reason the holiday isnt transposed to monday the 27th...

I read something in the paper on the weekend about that. In WA we are having the holiday on the Monday but some are complaining that with the economy the way it is, we should be forfeiting it like every other state.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 2:55 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah but at least we get the Queens B'day - never got that in the UK.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 5:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Well, if you will live in Queensland (or SA or Vic) what do you expect? The rest of the country gets the Monday after Anzac off.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 5:55 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Well, if you will live in Queensland (or SA or Vic) what do you expect? The rest of the country gets the Monday after Anzac off.
Hmmm. Doesn't look like NSW is either...

NSW Public Holidays

S
Old Jan 5th 2009, 6:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Ah well, come to glorious Canberra then, we have one scheduled. Mind you, I dont recall having a replacement holiday for Anzac day in the past when it has fallen on the weekend. Not that I pay much attention to the "extra day", I only married my Aussie DH so I would get a holiday every year on my birthday (Anzac Day)

This mob http://www.travelmate.com.au/Interna..._holidays.html must have it wrong then
Old Jan 5th 2009, 10:10 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain

Didn't take you long to get into the Australian swing of things.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MarkMC
I did!!!!! Cos I worked for the Government!
Old Jan 5th 2009, 10:36 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

And in unison, the self-employed of the world pout and make 'what a shame' faces.

Old Jan 5th 2009, 10:41 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

The New Zealanders do the same thing with Waitangi day, if it falls on a Weekend then you dont get a free pass on Monday. It sucks but not much you can do about it.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MarkMC
We wont get that holiday when we are a republic.

WW
Old Jan 5th 2009, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

NigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Hmmm. Doesn't look like NSW is either...

NSW Public Holidays

S
We, in NSW, get the Monday off under another act that was pushed through by a Labor Government when they were in opposition, now that they are in power they cannot really change it. Beware though, many years ago the ACTU fought for and won 17.5% loading on holiday pay, the tax on holiday pay was only 5% then. At the time the boss of the ACTU was Bob Hawke, later he became Prime Minister, one of the first acts of his government was to increase the tax on holiday pay to the full amount, they also tried to do away with the 17.5% loading which he had fought so hard for but he couldn't get away with that one. They also crucified the airline pilots union.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 8:56 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Ah well, come to glorious Canberra then, we have one scheduled. Mind you, I dont recall having a replacement holiday for Anzac day in the past when it has fallen on the weekend. Not that I pay much attention to the "extra day", I only married my Aussie DH so I would get a holiday every year on my birthday (Anzac Day)

This mob http://www.travelmate.com.au/Interna..._holidays.html must have it wrong then

I'm more than willing to be proved wrong on this count! I was only going by what was described on the page I quoted, which is the page they use here at work!

Originally Posted by NigelWaring
We, in NSW, get the Monday off under another act that was pushed through by a Labor Government when they were in opposition, now that they are in power they cannot really change it. Beware though, many years ago the ACTU fought for and won 17.5% loading on holiday pay, the tax on holiday pay was only 5% then. At the time the boss of the ACTU was Bob Hawke, later he became Prime Minister, one of the first acts of his government was to increase the tax on holiday pay to the full amount, they also tried to do away with the 17.5% loading which he had fought so hard for but he couldn't get away with that one. They also crucified the airline pilots union.

Nothing about that surprises me, and I concede that the information I posted was only relating to the NSW Banks and Bank Holidays Act 1912. It would be nice to know what the alternate act is, as most people here at work are grumbling because they think they will lose a days holiday.

S
Old Jan 5th 2009, 9:46 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Didn't take you long to get into the Australian swing of things.
In ten years of being here I'
ve never been short-changed a public holiday before! I usually work the public holidays and take TOIL later in the year to complement the hugely inadequate 20 days AL a year. So I'm just disappointed that this year I get less holiday.

I fail to see how this can be described as 'Australian'-style moaning. How do you think the UK would react if the government suddenly declared that this year August bank holiday was being cancelled?
Old Jan 5th 2009, 10:05 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NigelWaring
looks like they might have done away with it as all googled sources say NSW gets the saturday and not the monday

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.