Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What? No public holiday?!!!! OUTRAGE!!!!

What? No public holiday?!!!! OUTRAGE!!!!

Old Jan 6th 2009, 12:44 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What? No public holiday?!!!! OUTRAGE!!!!

Originally Posted by asher
looks like they might have done away with it as all googled sources say NSW gets the saturday and not the monday
Yep, state parliament could still do something about it but I doubt that they will.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 3:16 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Nothing about that surprises me, and I concede that the information I posted was only relating to the NSW Banks and Bank Holidays Act 1912. It would be nice to know what the alternate act is, as most people here at work are grumbling because they think they will lose a days holiday.

S
What about Boxing day as that falls on a Saturday this year - that link you provided for NSW moves the public hol to the Monday for next year but not this year
Old Jan 6th 2009, 3:25 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walaj
What about Boxing day as that falls on a Saturday this year - that link you provided for NSW moves the public hol to the Monday for next year but not this year
Probably some formula that says that if both the 25th and 26th fall on a weekend, then at least one day must be granted a public holiday.

So this year it looks like we lose out on Anzac day AND Boxing day...

Maybe there will be another Apec summit

S
Old Jan 6th 2009, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like that site I found was well out of date - only WA and ACT making it a long weekend.

I dont recall it ever being made a long weekend before when Anzac Day fell on the weekend. I was pretty sure it was the only holiday not to be gazetted on another day - meant that a couple of years every now and again we were one public holiday down.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 8:07 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Probably some formula that says that if both the 25th and 26th fall on a weekend, then at least one day must be granted a public holiday.

So this year it looks like we lose out on Anzac day AND Boxing day...

Maybe there will be another Apec summit

S
we should have another Apec hols, just without inviting the pollies.

Don't know what the OP is complaining about? they still get Boxing day hol and they get a 'Show Day'. Even Vic has an extra day for Melbourne Cup.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 8:50 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by walaj
we should have another Apec hols, just without inviting the pollies.

Don't know what the OP is complaining about? they still get Boxing day hol and they get a 'Show Day'. Even Vic has an extra day for Melbourne Cup.
..Sydney gets "Bank Holiday" on 3rd August as far as I can tell (when us Brisbanites get our 'show day' in mid-August, and Melbournians get 'cup day' in November) - so wherever you are in the country you seem to get 1 'local' holiday per year.

I'll admit that NSW losing Boxing day because of the weekend seems a bit harsh though! I'd be really unimpressed if that happened here! 20% reduction in public holidays in the year simply because of an accident of the calendar? Simply not acceptable.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 9:09 am
ABCDiamond

It was exactly the same in 1998.

When Anzac Day fell on a Saturday, in 1998, there was no alternate public holiday on that following Monday either.

It is just the way it is, nothing special, nothing different.

Except:
4. In accordance with clause 29.7 of GECA, Saturday 25 April 1998 in Western Australia will be an ordinary Saturday for the purposes of payments to employees required to perform duty on that day.

5. In all other States and Territories, with the exception of Christmas Island and Cocos (Keeling) Islands, the Anzac Day holiday will be Saturday 25 April 1998.
Holidays in QLD 2009
Christmas Day - Friday, 25 December
Boxing Day - Monday, 28 December
http://www.wageline.qld.gov.au/holidayslist/index.html

Old Jan 6th 2009, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
..Sydney gets "Bank Holiday" on 3rd August as far as I can tell (when us Brisbanites get our 'show day' in mid-August, and Melbournians get 'cup day' in November) - so wherever you are in the country you seem to get 1 'local' holiday per year.
Unfortunately for us in NSW the 'bank' holiday is only a holiday if you work for a bank. They're all closed for the day and all bank employees have a happy day off. It's the bank's version of the butchers or hairdressers picnic day (do they still have those?) - an industry-specific holiday.