British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   What are the nice suburbs in Sydney (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/what-nice-suburbs-sydney-466600/)

mattyearle Jul 16th 2007 3:47 pm

What are the nice suburbs in Sydney

Hey - I am moving to Sydney at some stage next year (depending on work!) and my missus loves looking on estate agents websites for possible houses we *might* be able to afford. The problem is that we have no idea what are nice suburbs - so her dream house could be in the equivalent of Moss Side.

Can anyone tell me which suburbs in Sydney are desirable, realistic (i.e. not TOO posh), best for transport links?

:cool:

JoolsB Jul 16th 2007 4:01 pm

Re: What are the nice suburbs in Sydney

manly, newport, bilgola, balmain all nice:)

NickyC Jul 17th 2007 1:00 am

The best suburbs are those near water, near the city. Mainly in this order:

1. Harbour fronted suburbs (east of bridge, south side) - like Darling Point, Point Piper, Vaucluse etc.

2. Harbour fronted suburbs (east of bridge, north side) - Mosman, Neutral Bay etc

3. Harbour fronted suburbs (west of bridge, north side) - Lavender Bay, McMahons Point etc

4. Parramatta/Lane Cove River suburbs (north side) - Hunters Hill, Longueville etc.

5. Eastern beach suburbs - Bronte, Bondi etc

6. North Shore suburbs - from North Sydney up the Pacific Highway to Wahroonga

7. Manly and Northern beaches

8. Parramatta River suburbs (south side) - Birchgrove, Balmain, Drummoyne etc

9. Other watery areas like Pittwater, Cronulla, Georges River suburbs.

All suburbs near water of any description cost a fortune. Good suburbs to checkout are those 2-3 back from the top-of-the-range versions. Then you get access to their facilities at a lower price.

Jockstar Jul 17th 2007 2:08 am

5. Eastern beach suburbs - Bronte, Bondi etc

You also have Randwick, Clovelly, Coogee.etc. I live in Randwick, 5 mins from Bronte and 5 minutes from Bondi Junction.

gillysm Jul 17th 2007 3:20 am

Originally Posted by mattyearle (Post 5062323)
Hey - I am moving to Sydney at some stage next year (depending on work!) and my missus loves looking on estate agents websites for possible houses we *might* be able to afford. The problem is that we have no idea what are nice suburbs - so her dream house could be in the equivalent of Moss Side.

Can anyone tell me which suburbs in Sydney are desirable, realistic (i.e. not TOO posh), best for transport links?

:cool:

We lived in on the norths shore at Killarney Heights which is near Forestville - both very family oriented suburbs - nie views of bits of middle harbour, close to bush, 15 mins from beaches. I know there are quite a few expats in Frenchs forest too which is nearby. I'd move back there tomorrow if I could afford it!
gilly

mattyearle Jul 17th 2007 7:35 am

What sort of prices for housing should we expect to pay? We'd like a house (have lived in a flat for too long now!) but am not sure what is a realistic price in a nicer suburb?
:zzz:

yanH Jul 17th 2007 7:48 am

Originally Posted by mattyearle (Post 5065843)
What sort of prices for housing should we expect to pay? We'd like a house (have lived in a flat for too long now!) but am not sure what is a realistic price in a nicer suburb?
:zzz:

On the North Shore I think that you'd be looking at $700,000+ for any sort of house. If you want a larger house with a reasonable garden probably a lot more than this. Check out the prices on www.domain.com.au