Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What Nationality finds it hardest to settle here?

What Nationality finds it hardest to settle here?

Old Feb 26th 2009, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute
Default What Nationality finds it hardest to settle here?

I have just been reading a thread on another part of the forum about a family from Scotland who are moving back home. A lot of the replys seemed to come from fellow Countrymen who appeared not to have settled too well.

Does anybody think the not being able to settle has anything about where you come from?

I am not too sure, I am from the south of England and most people from my area seem to be quite happy here.

What do you think.

John
Old Feb 26th 2009, 7:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Nationality finds it hardest to settle here?

Originally Posted by jond
I have just been reading a thread on another part of the forum about a family from Scotland who are moving back home. A lot of the replys seemed to come from fellow Countrymen who appeared not to have settled too well.

Does anybody think the not being able to settle has anything about where you come from?

I am not too sure, I am from the south of England and most people from my area seem to be quite happy here.

What do you think.

John

Thats a damn good question. I cannot think of a single grouping that has a major problem though. Some groups seem to deliberately resist assimilating. Although even they seem to manage after 3 generations.

Off the top of my head, I would say certain areas of the Middle east.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 7:30 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

The Manx ...

What do you think.

John
Old Feb 26th 2009, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Three Legs
The Manx ...

I think it has something to do with the lack of a tail, you must feel like the odd one out.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 7:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

The Manx ...
But records show that four out of five 3legs have settled very well
Old Feb 26th 2009, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Who cares? Im not in England, I dont have to be diplomatic anymore!
Old Feb 26th 2009, 9:42 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

... *doffs cap* ...

Originally Posted by moneypen20
But records show that four out of five 3legs have settled very well
Old Feb 26th 2009, 9:44 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

... *doffs cap* ...
...here you go
Old Feb 26th 2009, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

What do you think.

John
The Welsh.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Generali is a jewel in the roughGenerali is a jewel in the roughGenerali is a jewel in the roughGenerali is a jewel in the rough

So chippy Celts have a problem over here as well as in England.

There's probably a solution.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold

Probably the Australians.....place is full of bloody immigrants!
Old Feb 26th 2009, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

ozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really nice

I live in a small community in Ireland wher
Old Feb 26th 2009, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

ozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really nice

to be continued...

...where families go back decades/ centuries even. Its foreign to me - that sense of belonging to a place and people, being more of a nomad myself.But anyone with such a background and family ties will find it hard..I think...no matter where they are from, but I suppose that includes a lot of Irish and Scottish ! ( generally speaking of course )

??correct me if I'm wrong !

Mrs Ozbaz
Old Feb 26th 2009, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

Having been away from Australia for a long time, I can tell you that settling back to sleepy Brisbane after the bright lights of London takes some getting used to.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

MonandMike will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by James516
Having been away from Australia for a long time, I can tell you that settling back to sleepy Brisbane after the bright lights of London takes some getting used to.
Definately with you James. Been back just over a year after 10 years away and planning to go back at the end of this one! Oz just isn't for me at this stage of my life (shame I didn't think about it a bit more before I left the UK).

I think that it all depends on your previous lifestyle where-ever you come from. If you have a job you like that is well paid and allows you to do the things you enjoy and have a great social network - I think those people really need to think seriously about why they want to leave and what is important in there lives.

A bit of beach and the sun may not be enough!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.