Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What makes you grumpy?

What makes you grumpy?

Old Jul 24th 2016, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What makes you grumpy?

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Unfairness

Snobs

'Celebrities' who think that because they're actors/elite sportspeople/TV cooks, their opinions on anything and everything are profound and valuable

Greed

'Reality' TV

People who try to ram their own opinions down my throat, while simultaneously refusing to even consider mine

People who deliberately hurt others simply because it gives them some sort of pleasure

Kicking my toe

Scammers

Keyboard warriors (aka gutless wonders)

People who don't say please and thank you

Some days, just about everything
Yup, me too. Can I add gutter press and bloody pokemon go players to that list please?
Old Jul 24th 2016, 7:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
People who drive 15kph below the posted speed limit on a clear sunny day
People who drive slow in the fast lane
What pisses me off is people who think that the speed limit is a lower limit, or target to be exceeded. Yes, driving slowly in the outside lane is a no-no, but if you are doing 95 in a 110 kph limit you are not doing anything wrong. If it is 25 in a 40 kph limit then I might agree. I don't like people who drive over the speed limit and tailgate you when you are driving at or near the limit. I have a 50 kph limit in my area and I stick to it. There are a lot of kids and elderly about and the roads are hilly and have sharp corners. It is amazing the number of hoons who overtake on a blind bend/hill.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 9:29 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
What pisses me off is people who think that the speed limit is a lower limit, or target to be exceeded. Yes, driving slowly in the outside lane is a no-no, but if you are doing 95 in a 110 kph limit you are not doing anything wrong. If it is 25 in a 40 kph limit then I might agree. I don't like people who drive over the speed limit and tailgate you when you are driving at or near the limit. I have a 50 kph limit in my area and I stick to it. There are a lot of kids and elderly about and the roads are hilly and have sharp corners. It is amazing the number of hoons who overtake on a blind bend/hill.
Why is it ok to do 95 in a 110 but not 25 in a 40? If pushed I'd prefer the latter being as you'd be going through a school zone so you're expecting to go slow around kids. 95 in a 110 is just dangerous because you automatically irritate everyone behind you and they want to get passed you.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
This time of year: being stuck in this sporting limbo between Wimbledon+Euro Champs/World Cup and the start of the EPL. Can't wait till August 13th...
Well, that's bad luck, Astera. Here, I have a choice between cricket (WI v India) and Rugby League from England and Australia. Thanks to Sky Sports and Fox. Nice!
Old Jul 24th 2016, 8:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Why is it ok to do 95 in a 110 but not 25 in a 40? If pushed I'd prefer the latter being as you'd be going through a school zone so you're expecting to go slow around kids. 95 in a 110 is just dangerous because you automatically irritate everyone behind you and they want to get passed you.
It's not OK to do either. Here school zones are set at a lower speed limit (40kph) than anywhere else so there is no need to go any slower.

Going slower than 100 in a 100 zone is very dangerous... I have been in the slow lane (because our pickup truck can't handle going 130 around this bend and I knew i'd have people up my arse if I was in the fast lane) behind someone going 60kph on the motorway

Passing her was very dangerous as the traffic in the lane beside me was at 125 kph, so I had to get a very generous gap and accelerate very quickly to get around the moron.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

It is expected that people move at the speed limit except where necessary (kids crossing street, inclement weather, construction, etc). Just cruising along at 35kph in a 50kph zone is an inconvenience to everyone else on the road and is dangerous as it causes road rage and disrupts the flow of traffic. If you can't feel comfortable driving at least the speed limit on a clear sunny day then you should not be driving at all.

Likewise, if you want to go over the speed limit, thats fine, but you shouldn't get angry at anyone who is going the limit. If it bothers you, overtake when legal and safe. There is nothing wrong with sticking to the limit
Old Jul 25th 2016, 12:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Doing 25 in a 40 zone holds up a lot of traffic and is nearly 50% lower than the speed limit. All drivers need to be aware of hazards and drive accordingly. At 95 in a 110 zone in the inside lane you are doing more than 80% of the speed limit in a usually faster free flowing multi laned road. Gozit's blanket statement that if you can't drive at the speed limit, (and, Gozit, it isn't fine or even legal to drive above that limit,) you should not even be on the road is ridiculous.

I am severely jetlagged, so hope that what I have written makes sense- too tired to work out exact percentages. Going back to bed now.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

If you can't feel comfortable driving at least the speed limit on a clear sunny day then you should not be driving at all.
Well, the "speed limit" is intended to be the maximum speed, not the minimum, you know.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 2:19 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Well, the "speed limit" is intended to be the maximum speed, not the minimum, you know.
He's a teenager. He knows everything!
Old Jul 25th 2016, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

It is expected that people move at the speed limit except where necessary (kids crossing street, inclement weather, construction, etc). Just cruising along at 35kph in a 50kph zone is an inconvenience to everyone else on the road and is dangerous as it causes road rage and disrupts the flow of traffic. If you can't feel comfortable driving at least the speed limit on a clear sunny day then you should not be driving at all.

Likewise, if you want to go over the speed limit, thats fine, but you shouldn't get angry at anyone who is going the limit. If it bothers you, overtake when legal and safe. There is nothing wrong with sticking to the limit
Why is it fine to go over the speed limit.? That,I didn't know.

Last edited by irishbloo; Jul 25th 2016 at 8:30 am. Reason: spelling
Old Jul 25th 2016, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by irishbloo
Why is it fine to go over the speed limit.? That,I didn't know.
Its not. I said if you feel like going over the limit don't ride up the arse of people who are going the limit and following the law.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Yes but thats in terms of (usually) not being able to be at fault of the law by going below it. Not about what is safe or in line with keeping the flow of traffic. In fact in Ontario you can be charged with "Unnecessary slow driving" which carries a fine of 2 points and $110. Driving slowly under normal conditions impedes the flow of traffic and is dangerous.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Doing 25 in a 40 zone holds up a lot of traffic and is nearly 50% lower than the speed limit. All drivers need to be aware of hazards and drive accordingly. At 95 in a 110 zone in the inside lane you are doing more than 80% of the speed limit in a usually faster free flowing multi laned road. Gozit's blanket statement that if you can't drive at the speed limit, (and, Gozit, it isn't fine or even legal to drive above that limit,) you should not even be on the road is ridiculous.

I am severely jetlagged, so hope that what I have written makes sense- too tired to work out exact percentages. Going back to bed now.
Yes, exactly. But so is driving 95 in a 110. You are going a full 15 kph below the speed limit. When i'm out driving in the country and i'm behind some nut doing 60 in an 80 that impedes the flow of traffic and is dangerous because me and all the cars behind me have to slow down unexpectedly and could cause an accident.

If you drive 15 kph below the speed limit on your road test I will guarantee that you fail. I was taught to remain within +/- 2 kph of the speed limit in order not to get an infraction on my test.
Old Jul 26th 2016, 4:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, exactly. But so is driving 95 in a 110. You are going a full 15 kph below the speed limit. When i'm out driving in the country and i'm behind some nut doing 60 in an 80 that impedes the flow of traffic and is dangerous because me and all the cars behind me have to slow down unexpectedly and could cause an accident.

If you drive 15 kph below the speed limit on your road test I will guarantee that you fail. I was taught to remain within +/- 2 kph of the speed limit in order not to get an infraction on my test.

There are quite a few vehicles on the road that are not capable of 110 Ks per hour. (Garbage trucks/heavy lorrys/Tractors/vintage cars/Motorhomes/Buses even elderly drivers) on a multi lane highway this is not or should not be an issue. It's only a real issue on a multi lane highway when either the slow vehicle is out of the slow lane, or the road is very busy. If it's on a single lane road then it's the road that is more of a problem than anything else....You have to go with the lowest common denominator as that's the safest way to use that road in those conditions.

I fully agree though with people hogging the fast lane at the speed limit. It's up to the police to enforce the speed limit not other road users and those in the fast lane at the speed limit should move over if they are able to do so and just as much of a road hazard as those going above the speed limit.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jul 26th 2016 at 4:12 am.
Old Jul 26th 2016, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes indeed; we've all played with the rules in our time! When driving home drunk, as irresponsible young men, my friends and I all made a point of keeping two or three m.p.h. above the speed limit when we drove carefully home late at night, on the premise that the cops were more likely to be suspicious of cars being driven below the limit.

As cunning as a fox who has just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.