Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What makes you grumpy?

What makes you grumpy?

Old Apr 21st 2016, 4:08 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What makes you grumpy?

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I know this is completely irrational but people who indicate to drive around bends in the road that aren't junctions and thus don't need indicating.

It infuriates me for some reason.

S
This used to infuriate me. After being nearly hit 3 times at the same bend that has a t junction coming on to it, I, too, now indicate that I'm going to continue on my way rather than leave the road.

10 yards from this bend/junction scenario is a roundabout. What makes me grumpy is that apparently some drivers have no understanding that if you are indicating right, IT MEANS YOU ARE GOING PAST THEIR FLIPPING ENTRY POINT AND THUS THEY CAN'T ENTER THE FLIPPING ROUNDABOUT UNTIL I'VE FLIPPING GONE PAST.

Oh, and taxi drivers and ute drivers who insist on doing a u-turn outside the railway station, rather than negotiate the bend/junction and roundabout above.

In fact, if we could just remove that 30 yard stretch of road, my life would be far less grumpy.

(all distances are completely made up, I have no idea how far 10 or 30 yards are, but they're all really close to each other)
Old Apr 21st 2016, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

benhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of light

People who use "like" 3 times in every sentence.
Sticky labels (on newly bought electrical goods) which can't be peeled-off.
Australian/American/Israeli politics.
Sharp carousel microwaves that tend to die the minute the warranty expires.
Old Apr 21st 2016, 4:52 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Commuting during school holidays makes me grumpy.
Parents who let their feral little brats treat public transit like a playground. Surely they don't encourage them to be loud and run rampant at home.
People who have no spatial awareness and congregate at the bottom or top of escalators making it impossible for others to get on or off.
Old Apr 21st 2016, 5:37 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benhila
People who use "like" 3 times in every sentence.
Sticky labels (on newly bought electrical goods) which can't be peeled-off.
Australian/American/Israeli politics.
Sharp carousel microwaves that tend to die the minute the warranty expires.
I know, right?

Plus people who say "I know, right?"
Old Apr 21st 2016, 7:00 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

And, closer to home:

Windows Ten

Passwords! Especially totally innocuous websites that ask for a password, then tell you again and again that it doesn't meet their format(but won't say what that is) or present a Captcha but won't accept your - correct - interpretation of it.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Old Apr 21st 2016, 7:06 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
And, closer to home:

Windows Ten

Passwords! Especially totally innocuous websites that ask for a password, then tell you again and again that it doesn't meet their format(but won't say what that is) or present a Captcha but won't accept your - correct - interpretation of it.

I'll extend this by adding in websites that insist on a username and password for rudimentary stuff like getting an insurance or forex quote...

S
Old Apr 21st 2016, 7:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
And, closer to home:

Windows Ten

I like Windows 10 and I will not be going back, except I have one complaint, I still can't get Cortana to work. Its suppose to work in Oz but nothing. The Indian boys can't get it to work either. The Microsoft forums can't get it to work. I think I've been technically defeated.
Old Apr 21st 2016, 8:31 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Lefty Loonies and Fluffy Bunnies.
Old Apr 21st 2016, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
With contactless systems you put the card on the pad to 'touch' on or off.

If you have multiple zones then you need to 'touch on' and 'touch off' so that it can work out the journey and no over charge you.

Melbourne trams are all in zone 1 though - so it ought to be impossible for them to overcharge you. Hence Mr Grumpy.

However, there can actually be problems, in that if you use a tram to get somewhere, get off without touching off, then go back on the same route, you can actually catch the same tram - meaning your second 'touch on' can be registered as a 'touch off' and so in theory you are riding without paying.

Let's just say there are bigger issues with Myki than touching off ...
Thanks for taking the trouble to inform me, Garry. Now I know, right? [That's for renth] And now that I do know, I don't feel grumpy any more. Super!
Old Apr 21st 2016, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

People who write "Super!"
Old Apr 21st 2016, 3:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I know this is completely irrational but people who indicate to drive around bends in the road that aren't junctions and thus don't need indicating.

It infuriates me for some reason. ....
On an isolated bend (no junction), agreed, but there are a small number of quirky junctions where the "straight through" road is not the "main road", and so under very limited circmstances, indicating a turn can help other roadusers understand your intentions.

I do this myself occasionally as I habitually drive faster through turns than most other drivers - I drive only manual cars, which are RWD or with "sporty" suspension, and so I feel safer indicating a turn in case others interpret my speed as an indication that I am going straight forward.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 21st 2016 at 5:14 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2016, 4:50 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
People who write "Super!"
Wow, super...
Old Apr 21st 2016, 10:25 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

If people who helped shape my younger years could stop dying I'd be less grumpy.
Old Apr 21st 2016, 11:15 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I do this myself occasionally as I habitually drive faster through turns than most other drivers - I drive only manual cars, which are RWD or with "sporty" suspension, and so I feel safer indicating a turn in case others interpret my speed as an indication that I am going straight forward.

Oooh - You've touched on another one there - People who say/claim "I can only drive automatic cars"

S
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 12:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Oooh - You've touched on another one there - People who say/claim "I can only drive automatic cars"

S
Why does that make you grumpy? If they've only learnt in an auto then they're correct. Unless you think everyone should learn in a manual,in which case I agree!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.