British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   What Languages do they teach at school? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/what-languages-do-they-teach-school-625899/)

dodge26 Aug 16th 2009 10:47 am

What Languages do they teach at school?

What languages do they get taught at school at is there a variation from school to school? Do they get to pick what languages they want to do?

Also can anyone answer my son's birthday is 24th January, I see term time begins in Febuary. How old will he be when he goes to year 1 at school?

Broad Shoulders Aug 16th 2009 10:48 am

Re: What Languages do they teach at school?

Originally Posted by dodge26 (Post 7847582)
What languages do they get taught at school at is there a variation from school to school? Do they get to pick what languages they want to do?

Also can anyone answer my son's birthday is 24th January, I see term time begins in Febuary. How old will he be when he goes to year 1 at school?

which state to do you intend to live in?

dodge26 Aug 16th 2009 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders (Post 7847584)
which state to do you intend to live in?

Western Australia.

copa Aug 16th 2009 10:54 am

Depends on the school and state/territory..

Korean, japanese, Indonesian, Mandarin, French, german, italian, even some indigenous languages in some places ..

Some primary schools only offer one langauge .. so you get what you're given ... highschools may offer a few and the language depends on what teachers they can get at the school..

In canberra there is even a french language government school in Canberra.. which is rather unique in Australia.

Broad Shoulders Aug 16th 2009 11:01 am

Originally Posted by copa (Post 7847599)
Depends on the school and state/territory..

Korean, japanese, Indonesian, Mandarin, French, german, italian, even some indigenous languages in some places ..

Some primary schools only offer one langauge .. so you get what you're given ... highschools may offer a few and the language depends on what teachers they can get at the school..

In canberra there is even a french language government school in Canberra.. which is rather unique in Australia.

If you intend to stay in this country then learning French is a little useless. In the 7 years I have lived here I can count on one hand how many times I have had the opportunity to speak it. Japanese and the Chinese languages will likely serve your children better in the future

northernbird Aug 16th 2009 11:03 am

When he starts year 1 in February he will have just turned 7. Everyone in his year will either be 7 already or turn 7 before June 30 of that year. As for languages it varies from school to school. Ours teaches Japanese. Previous school taught German. Language teaching in our school starts in year 3.

Kim67 Aug 16th 2009 11:06 am

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 7847630)
When he starts year 1 in February he will have just turned 7. Everyone in his year will either be 7 already or turn 7 before June 30 of that year. As for languages it varies from school to school. Ours teaches Japanese. Previous school taught German. Language teaching in our school starts in year 3.

I thought he would have just turned 6 because his 6th birthday is before 30 June for grade one. So kids in grade one are either turning six in the first half of the year or seven in the second half of the year.

copa Aug 16th 2009 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders (Post 7847623)
If you intend to stay in this country then learning French is a little useless. In the 7 years I have lived here I can count on one hand how many times I have had the opportunity to speak it. Japanese and the Chinese languages will likely serve your children better in the future

canberra has a large diplomatic and international community and a community of people who may have to work for extended periods overseas for the Oz government .. I guess they feel the french language school is very useful..

livinginreality Aug 16th 2009 2:11 pm

My kids did Vietnamese in SA.

northernbird Aug 16th 2009 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 7847636)
I thought he would have just turned 6 because his 6th birthday is before 30 June for grade one. So kids in grade one are either turning six in the first half of the year or seven in the second half of the year.

My daughter is in Year 1 and she turned 7 last July 6th. Quite a few kids are 7 already with the remainder turning 7 before the end of June.

Kim67 Aug 16th 2009 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 7848054)
My daughter is in Year 1 and she turned 7 last July 6th. Quite a few kids are 7 already with the remainder turning 7 before the end of June.

Yep, July 6 would make her 7 in grade 1. The concrete rules are that they must turn 6 before 30 June - the kids that turned 7 before end of June must be for some other reason - they're not so strict on the rules if the kids are older than they should be, just younger.

iamthecreaturefromuranus Aug 16th 2009 7:46 pm

Based on my two teenage sons, Strine seems to be about the only language taught in school.

YFitz Aug 17th 2009 7:11 am

He will have his 6th birthday on Jan 24 and start Year 1 about a week later

the4ofus Aug 17th 2009 10:35 am

That's my birthday too :p

Lynn xx

northernbird Aug 17th 2009 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 7848372)
Yep, July 6 would make her 7 in grade 1. The concrete rules are that they must turn 6 before 30 June - the kids that turned 7 before end of June must be for some other reason - they're not so strict on the rules if the kids are older than they should be, just younger.

My apologies, you are completely correct. She turned 7 after June 30th of that year. This cut off lark confuses me, at the moment it doesn't take much!!!!