Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What language differences are there?

What language differences are there?

Old Apr 4th 2017, 9:24 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What language differences are there?

You seriously need to get this.

https://www.amazon.com/Strine-Stalk-.../dp/0725406011
Old Apr 4th 2017, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Aus to English
bingle is a prang
Spunk is a hunky/gorgeous person
rego is car road fund tax
doona is duvet
Old Apr 4th 2017, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

extrobe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pomster
Aus to English
bingle is a prang
Spunk is a hunky/gorgeous person
rego is car road fund tax
doona is duvet
oh my - I can deal with wearing thongs, not sure how I feel about 'being spunk'
Old Apr 4th 2017, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Just don't go asking for a rooter for your broadband.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 11:43 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
As it is in NSW - well 568 ml I think, but what's a couple of ml between friends?
Some pubs - usually trendy, gastropubs - have been trying to replace the 568ml with a 480ml and still advertise it as a pint, with a pint price. There's been a bit of a backlash against this and some of these places have reverted to serving genuine pints

Beer comes in pints or bottles or litres and half-litres (in Germany). End of. Half-pints or anything else around that size are bullshit
Old Apr 5th 2017, 1:20 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Some pubs - usually trendy, gastropubs - have been trying to replace the 568ml with a 480ml and still advertise it as a pint, with a pint price. There's been a bit of a backlash against this and some of these places have reverted to serving genuine pints

Beer comes in pints or bottles or litres and half-litres (in Germany). End of. Half-pints or anything else around that size are bullshit

I've not seen this, but will keep my eye out.

It's actually quite hard work to make a complaint about weights and measures as we found out when we tried to complain about a pub that was insisting on adding huge scoops of ice to pints of cider. State fair trade referred us to Federal weights & measures, and they did the opposite.

We just stopped drinking there.

S
Old Apr 5th 2017, 2:14 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

It's actually quite hard work to make a complaint about weights and measures as we found out when we tried to complain about a pub that was insisting on adding huge scoops of ice to pints of cider. State fair trade referred us to Federal weights & measures, and they did the opposite.

S
A while ago I spoke to a barman in Perth about the ice in cider thing and he told me that they can only add ice to a full pint. I guess they've been pulled up on it in the past and consumer affairs in WA are quite switched on
Old Apr 5th 2017, 3:05 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
A while ago I spoke to a barman in Perth about the ice in cider thing and he told me that they can only add ice to a full pint. I guess they've been pulled up on it in the past and consumer affairs in WA are quite switched on

This place in Glebe was adding huge scoops of ice like MacDonalds - but they wouldn't have it that they were watering the beer down.

S
Old Apr 5th 2017, 4:11 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

S
I always order cider and specify "no ice". If they put ice in it I refuse to accept it and make them poyr me another one. If I'm paying $10-12 for a pint, it's for cider and not water!
Old Apr 5th 2017, 4:14 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I always order cider and specify "no ice". If they put ice in it I refuse to accept it and make them poyr me another one. If I'm paying $10-12 for a pint, it's for cider and not water!

Yeah, we tried that - they insisted it was house policy to always add a scoop of ice to cider and that they wouldn't serve it without ice. They then got smart and then started pouring short measures saying that it would have been made up by the ice.

Hence why we decided to try and escalate it to the powers that be...

S
Old Apr 5th 2017, 4:16 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, we tried that - they insisted it was house policy to always add a scoop of ice to cider and that they wouldn't serve it without ice. They then got smart and then started pouring short measures saying that it would have been made up by the ice.

Hence why we decided to try and escalate it to the powers that be...

S
Definitely time to drink elsewhere.
Old Apr 6th 2017, 11:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

If you ask for a schooner in VIC, you tend to get blank looks.
Even if you ask for 10 oz or the 425ml then they might not have the glass.

In NSW a Schooner was so common.
Old Apr 6th 2017, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Wow - some really iffy booze-practices to watch out for then!
Old Apr 6th 2017, 12:11 pm
Still alive

Originally Posted by extrobe
Wow - some really iffy booze-practices to watch out for then!
Drink at home; it's easier. Just put and esky, your music and some chairs in the garage and sit with the door open and you'll fit right in.
Old Apr 6th 2017, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Drink at home; it's easier. Just put and esky, your music and some chairs in the garage and sit with the door open and you'll fit right in.
Well to be fair, I have young children, so we're not exactly drinking out all that often (as in, never really!), so the above is far more likely

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.