British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   What if you bring more than AUD 10,000 ?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/what-if-you-bring-more-than-aud-10-000-a-771436/)

muditha Sep 12th 2012 9:47 pm

What if you bring more than AUD 10,000 ??

Hi,

Can anybody guide me the process to follow when you bring more than AUD 10,000 ? I knw that we need to declare it at the airport. What is the next step happen when you declare it ? Do we need to pay any tax if it is more than 10,000 ? Do we have to pay it at the airport itself or we have to do it later ?

Will anybody advice me ?

Thanx.

Muditha.

Tramps_mate Sep 12th 2012 9:58 pm

Re: What if you bring more than AUD 10,000 ??

In cash? Can you transfer it instead?

Bermudashorts Sep 12th 2012 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by muditha (Post 10277906)
Hi,

Can anybody guide me the process to follow when you bring more than AUD 10,000 ? I knw that we need to declare it at the airport. What is the next step happen when you declare it ? Do we need to pay any tax if it is more than 10,000 ? Do we have to pay it at the airport itself or we have to do it later ?

Will anybody advice me ?

Thanx.

Muditha.

Never come across anyone daft enough to do that. ;)

Beoz Sep 13th 2012 12:58 am

Hi,

Will anybody advice me ?

Thanx.

Muditha.

Pay tax on what? I suspect you've already paid tax on it somewhere.

It's a money laundering issue - not a tax issue.

Not exactly sure travel insurance will want to cover that should it fall out your wallet.

commonwealth Sep 13th 2012 3:02 am

if u bring more than 10k just declare and explain why you have so
much on u.

Pollyana Sep 13th 2012 4:10 am

Hi,

Will anybody advice me ?

Thanx.

Muditha.

There is no tax on it, its just that they want to prevent money laundering. Bringing in that amount in cash is risky but if you really want to do it,you just declare it on the arrival card, they may where the money came from. If they think it is the result of dodgy deals the info might be passed to the ATO.

Seriously, you must have bank accounts here now, a transfer would be safer and easier.

muditha Sep 13th 2012 8:09 am

Thanks. I thought we have to pay some tax if we bring money more than 10k and somebody told me that bank will anyway inform ATO when we deposit money excess of 10k at one transaction. May be i got a wrong information.

Thanks anyway.

Regards,

Muditha

Tramps_mate Sep 13th 2012 8:18 am

Do two smaller transfers may be?

Pollyana Sep 13th 2012 8:21 am

Originally Posted by muditha (Post 10278571)
Thanks. I thought we have to pay some tax if we bring money more than 10k and somebody told me that bank will anyway inform ATO when we deposit money excess of 10k at one transaction. May be i got a wrong information.

Thanks anyway.

Regards,

Muditha

I think they have to report large transactions, but if its not the proceeds of crime why worry about it?

billymacker Sep 13th 2012 5:23 pm

Hi,

Will anybody advice me ?

Thanx.

Muditha.

if the cash is from a bank declare and just show them the withdraw slip/statement this is what i do never had a problem.

commonwealth Sep 13th 2012 7:03 pm

and the most simple acceptable explanation to customs is, you are migrating!

muditha Sep 13th 2012 9:10 pm

Thanx.

lapin_windstar Sep 14th 2012 11:26 am

There is no more tax payable just because you bring in large amounts of cash - in fact, we quite like it if you do so you can spend it here!

Carrying that much cash is not so unusual in plenty of places. Lots of tourists bring that much in cash.