Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What have you done to change your life?

Wikiposts

What have you done to change your life?

Old Feb 10th 2011, 7:04 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What have you done to change your life?

You should definitely try and change your career although it is daunting. I 'retired' from my job as a commodities broker in London before we sailed over to Oz. I don't regret leaving as it was stressful both in the day as the pressure to win deals never ends and also in the evening when you are expected to be smoozing clients (I like to remove the 'e' and the 'n' from that word). I wish I was left with a half decent skill I could use in regional Queensland though (like pigshooter or Japanese speaking reef guide) as it is jading being virtually unemployed in Cairns just on a boredom level whole we sit out our 475 temp visa
Old Feb 10th 2011, 7:17 pm
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm well, I started off in as a shop assistant in a news agents, worked in an office on my own at 17 sending out tv repair men to jobs, joined the army for 6.5 years doing communication stuff.

Then I had a couple of children - went back to work as a pa/confidential typist for the co of the mil hosp in hong kong for a few years.

Back to uk i was an office manager for a guy who ran a chiropody/beauty therapy instrument business.

Then after another move i worked in a school organising development courses for teaching assistants

I then trained part time to become a massage therapist, reflexologist, aromatherapist and a beauty therapist.

Did half a hair dressing course - didnt like it.

Then we came here and I am now an office manager for a physio practice - starting to get bored out of my head so i am doing a cert iv in financial services so i can try and do bookkeeping from home.

I also make (and sell some) jewellery in my spare time.

Shirley

Last edited by ub40fan; Feb 10th 2011 at 8:08 pm. Reason: cos it didnt make sense in one bit LOL
Old Feb 10th 2011, 7:44 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Private Investigator to remedial sports therapist, personal trainer and scuba instructor in a rapid nearing mid 30's life crisis a few years back.

Radical enough ? Anything is possible. I will never again do a job I hate and don't want to get up for.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Had a reasonable but boring job in the UK as a recruitment consultant and in a bit of a fit decided to go to college full time to do a science access course and then to Uni full time to study geology. Didnt have the faintest idea where that would lead and didnt know what careers were available when i started. But it led us to being in Australia. Never had even contemplated leaving the UK previously.

It ment 4 years of the wife working all sorts of hours in order to pay the mortgage and we were pretty hard up for a while, but worth it in the end. Oh, and she no longer works at all - her choice is to concentrate on her art which may one day lead to a buisness.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 8:17 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I am talking career wise.

I am having a mid life crisis and although I am scared to leave my job I am even more scared of staying, I feel sort of numb and going through the motions to earn money to pay the mortgage.

I am due to start college soon part time which is a start but I was wondering what have you done to change your life aside from emigrating, have you re-trained, 'seen the light' so to speak and changed career direction entirely?

Do you feel trapped in your job and unable to get out or are you in the process of making changes for a different career?

I have been desperate to be a midwife for the last 15 years. The time has never felt right, I wonder if it ever will. Maybe when the kids are older I will do it, perhaps it will be too late then. I admire what you are doing Sam, you go girl
Old Feb 10th 2011, 8:19 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Decided never to wear a suit again and, as a return to work type, went to work for a charity. Work just as hard as I did in the real world, for jack all money, but sleep well at night

(Actually, at the moment I don't sleep very well at night but that's nothing to do with the job.)
Old Feb 10th 2011, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I have been desperate to be a midwife for the last 15 years. The time has never felt right, I wonder if it ever will. Maybe when the kids are older I will do it, perhaps it will be too late then. I admire what you are doing Sam, you go girl
Very true. When i was at Uni, there were plenty of students 40+ changing careers. I even know a guy who started a Phd aged over 60 and never expected to work again but now does the odd days consulting that earns him more a day than he ever did a month and loves it.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 8:40 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Do it externally C. It's what I'm doing. UniSA do a midwifery degree done externally - you only have to go over to Adelaide a couple of times for a few days at a time then do your practicals where they send you in years 2, 4 & 6. Lots of time they try to find pracs for you in your own area if they can.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 8:58 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to uni next feb (2012) once my daughter is in school, to do my bachelor of nursing.

So excited.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 9:04 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
I'm going to uni next feb (2012) once my daughter is in school, to do my bachelor of nursing.

So excited.
Good girl. I'm so looking forward to havign initials after my name that are actually recognised worldwide. Oh, that and being able to help people. Yeah, that's it...To help people.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 9:13 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Good girl. I'm so looking forward to havign initials after my name that are actually recognised worldwide. Oh, that and being able to help people. Yeah, that's it...To help people.

I was born to nurse, and should have done it before the kids/hubby came along, but that period of my life was one big party and was so the last thing on my mind. I have wanted to go to uni for years but decided I wanted children more.

I'm more than ready for the challenge.

Good luck Dorothy.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 9:22 pm
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon midwifery has to be the best of the nursing options - mostly happy results. I know things go wrong (been there) but it must be the best feeling delivering a healthy baby.

You only live once - go for it!
Old Feb 10th 2011, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

Left school/college with very little. Had dull boring office admin work and then call centre work. It was a massive rut I was stuck in till I met a girl and she encouraged me that I could go to uni. Quit the job and went as a 24yr old to do an IT degree. Had a great few years doing it and landed a job as a programmer when I left. Now working as a Business Analyst and I love it for the most part.

In truth I'd rather be working outdoors as a lumberjack but I'm so glad I actually get up in the morning and at worst don't mind going in and sometimes actually look forward to it

Decent pay which helps as well.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

Changed complete direction aged 38, 4 school aged children so needed to keep a part time job. No quals so went to college and then to Uni to study nursing. Wanted to be a midwife and ended up as a trauma ICU nurse, now in nurse education. Skys the limit
Old Feb 10th 2011, 9:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
Very true. When i was at Uni, there were plenty of students 40+ changing careers. I even know a guy who started a Phd aged over 60 and never expected to work again but now does the odd days consulting that earns him more a day than he ever did a month and loves it.
You do know that northernbird is 24 dont you?? Not 40+

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.