Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What happens to UK child Benefit?

What happens to UK child Benefit?

Old Mar 6th 2009, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

Penny72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What happens to UK child Benefit?

We (family of 5) are moving to Melbourne in July (from the UK) and I am wondering what happens to my UK Child Benefit? Are we still entitled to it?
I am leaving my UK bank account open so it would still be paid into that......or should I tell the benefits office so they cancel it? Not sure what I am supposed to do! And exactly who you are supposed to tell that you have emigrated?! Many thanks for any advice!
Old Mar 6th 2009, 4:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What happens to UK child Benefit?

You are not entitled to it if you are not resident and should tell benefits office.

It would be an idea to tell tax office that you are emmigrating, you will need to to get a refund as no doubt will have overpaid if leaving in July.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Mar 6th 2009 at 4:17 pm. Reason: Posted too soon!
Old Mar 6th 2009, 8:19 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Penny72
We (family of 5) are moving to Melbourne in July (from the UK) and I am wondering what happens to my UK Child Benefit? Are we still entitled to it?
I am leaving my UK bank account open so it would still be paid into that......or should I tell the benefits office so they cancel it? Not sure what I am supposed to do! And exactly who you are supposed to tell that you have emigrated?! Many thanks for any advice!
You will need to notify the DSS and return any payment books if you have them other wise you will be obtaining payment under false pretences.

As your title indicates it is UK not Australian child benefit therefore you will not be entitled to it once you leave the country. You will be paid your entitlement up until the date which you leave the country otherwise they will claim it all back.

Don't forget to notify the Tax Office though with your P45 details enabling you to get your tax refund. This applies to anyone who pays Income Tax.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

I would also tell them as early as possible when you have a definite date for leaving as they take a while to sort out !
Old Mar 7th 2009, 12:13 am
ABCDiamond

Some of the rules for notification are that you must advise the department if you or your partner leave the UK permanently or you leave the UK temporarily for more than eight weeks
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/childbenefit/need-to-report.htm

Some people who have been caught still claiming, have had penalties imposed.

Old Mar 7th 2009, 3:12 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Get cancelling it now. They are incompetent morons and it will take them months to sort it out which will include many letters asking you stupid questions and the standard letters asking about your current circumstances. If you can get it sorted before you leave the country it will save you a great deal of stress once here. Doing without a few months payment is preferable to dealing with their incompetence for years to come.

Not having a go at you in particular but people in general who ask about the benefit - if you wouldn't expect to continue paying tax, or paying the electricity bill on your old house etc when you leave a country, why would you expect to continue receiving benefits?
Old Mar 7th 2009, 11:58 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Not having a go at you in particular but people in general who ask about the benefit - if you wouldn't expect to continue paying tax, or paying the electricity bill on your old house etc when you leave a country, why would you expect to continue receiving benefits?

Just what i was thinking
Old Mar 7th 2009, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

BigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud of

why would you be entitled to it if u leave the country
Old Mar 7th 2009, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

I stopped our child benefit after being here for 12 weeks, didn't cancel it just in case we went back in that time. Wasn't asked to pay back anything when I called them and said we had left the UK either.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

BigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TMRE
I stopped our child benefit after being here for 12 weeks, didn't cancel it just in case we went back in that time. Wasn't asked to pay back anything when I called them and said we had left the UK either.
only allowed 8 weeks once u leave the uk
Old Mar 7th 2009, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BigH68
only allowed 8 weeks once u leave the uk
Wasn't asked to pay anything back after 12 weeks though, 4 week holiday and 8 weeks out of the UK permanently
Old Mar 7th 2009, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TMRE
Wasn't asked to pay anything back after 12 weeks though
ssshhhhhhhhhhhh keep quiet...they still can u know
Old Mar 7th 2009, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

smvh is just really nicesmvh is just really nicesmvh is just really nicesmvh is just really nicesmvh is just really nicesmvh is just really nicesmvh is just really nicesmvh is just really nice

if you leave your country and you are not entitled to claim anything in oz for 2 years then why would you say anything at all, how would they know where you were if you didnt tell them!
Old Mar 7th 2009, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

durhamlad is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by smvh
if you leave your country and you are not entitled to claim anything in oz for 2 years then why would you say anything at all, how would they know where you were if you didnt tell them!
But you can claim Family Tax Benefit in Oz straight away, there is not a two year wait for this benefit.
You also receive a dental treatment voucher for your children towards treatment costs and the $1,000 payment for each child which was paid out just before Christmas to try and kick start the economy.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durhamlad
But you can claim Family Tax Benefit in Oz straight away, there is not a two year wait for this benefit.
You also receive a dental treatment voucher for your children towards treatment costs and the $1,000 payment for each child which was paid out just before Christmas to try and kick start the economy.
What you can claim depends on the type of visa you are on.
Also, you must have submitted a tax return for 2007/2008 to be eligible for the one-off payment, the amount of which varies depending on your income.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.