British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   What happens if UK quits the EU? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/what-happens-if-uk-quits-eu-811299/)

brissybee Oct 6th 2013 1:02 am

What happens if UK quits the EU?

My apologies if this has been done before... but I would love a simple explanation of what actually it will mean if the UK leaves the EU?

On a day to day basis, how would this affect UK citizens?

I'm interested to read in today's press there is a push to bring the referendum foward to next October.

Also, is it true that a British Citizen loses the right to vote in the UK if they've been away more than 15 years? Is this a permenent loss of voting right?

I'm not sure if this is a relevant forum but I'm hoping there are BE's online who understand more about what's going on in the UK.

BASHO Oct 6th 2013 2:37 am

Re: What happens if UK quits the EU?

I would imagine an awful lot of people will breathe a huge sigh of relief :rofl:

Don't know about the voting though I've been out of the UK since 74 and still a British Citizen , born and bred , if I did decide to return I can't see why my right to vote should be abrogated .

brissybee Oct 6th 2013 2:56 am

Originally Posted by BASHO (Post 10932211)
I would imagine an awful lot of people will breathe a huge sigh of relief :rofl:

Don't know about the voting though I've been out of the UK since 74 and still a British Citizen , born and bred , if I did decide to return I can't see why my right to vote should be abrogated .

Yes... I'm hearing this... but why? What would it mean to people?

Sally Redux Oct 6th 2013 2:57 am

Originally Posted by brissybee (Post 10932228)
Yes... I'm hearing this... but why? What would it mean to people?

They could buy bananas by the pound :rolleyes:

GarryP Oct 6th 2013 3:42 am

In short, the french would be troublesome about imports from the UK, the germans possibly also. However the UK could play similar games and in the end both sides are likely to reach an agreement.

In theory the UK would have less influence - but given the EU seems to ignore UK desires much of the time - that's probably more theoretical than real.

Oh, and Brits couldn't easily go and work in Europe, but also visa versa.

A common market is in the UK's interest, but 'ever closer union' probably isn't (not with the euro).

eddie007 Oct 6th 2013 4:06 am

The world would stop spinning on it's axis....

Tiz common knowledge that this would happen if the UK pulled out....

commonwealth Oct 6th 2013 4:12 am

no more gypsies begging in the street of london

BASHO Oct 6th 2013 5:28 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 10932229)
They could buy bananas by the pound :rolleyes:

As long as it's not buying pounds by the banana-----

-----as was indicated as the fate of the Australian currency some years ago by proclamation of the then treasurer ass clown prime Paul Keating that Australia had become/was becoming or in danger of becoming a 'Banana republic'.

He also dubbed the AUS$ the 'Pacific Peso' at one stage of the game and billed himself as 'the worlds greatest treasurer'.

aaaahhh--I so miss the eightys.:rofl:

Bermudashorts Oct 6th 2013 6:11 am

Originally Posted by GarryP (Post 10932256)
In short, the french would be troublesome about imports from the UK, the germans possibly also. However the UK could play similar games and in the end both sides are likely to reach an agreement.

In theory the UK would have less influence - but given the EU seems to ignore UK desires much of the time - that's probably more theoretical than real.

A common market is in the UK's interest, but 'ever closer union' probably isn't (not with the euro).

That all sounds very sensible. I expect there are a lot more Europeans coming to UK to work than the other way around because we are not so good at languages. I believe that Switzerland negotiated some deal to allow free movement of labour without being in the EU though, perhaps that would come in.

mikelincs Oct 6th 2013 6:25 am

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 10932355)
That all sounds very sensible. I expect there are a lot more Europeans coming to UK to work than the other way around because we are not so good at languages. I believe that Switzerland negotiated some deal to allow free movement of labour without being in the EU though, perhaps that would come in.

I think that as we would still be in the EEA, then not a lot will change apart from farmers not getting the support money they currently get, EU money would be stopped both ways, we would stop getting it, and stop paying. There would be some inport/export issues, as the EU is our biggest customer, so many businesses may well lose some of a lucrative market. British expats living in the EU would, almost certainly, lose their rights to having DLA and WFA paid.

Bermudashorts Oct 6th 2013 6:47 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 10932359)
I think that as we would still be in the EEA, then not a lot will change apart from farmers not getting the support money they currently get, EU money would be stopped both ways, we would stop getting it, and stop paying. There would be some inport/export issues, as the EU is our biggest customer, so many businesses may well lose some of a lucrative market. British expats living in the EU would, almost certainly, lose their rights to having DLA and WFA paid.

Well as we pay more than we receive that is a tick. I don't believe trade will stop just because we are not in EU and it is a two way street anyway so I am sure balance will be restored. Your TLAs are lost on me though.
:)

BadgeIsBack Oct 6th 2013 7:21 am

Originally Posted by GarryP (Post 10932256)

A shame - I had some of the best years in Europe and I expect my children to be able to do so!

OzTennis Oct 6th 2013 7:53 am

There's actually 2 questions because of the Scottish Independence Referendum in 2014:

1 What happens if the UK quits the EU?

2 What happens if England, Wales and Northern Ireland (the not quite so United Kingdom) quits the EU?

Given the current state of the polls question 1 looks the more relevant. ;)

mikelincs Oct 6th 2013 8:00 am

Originally Posted by OzTennis (Post 10932421)
There's actually 2 questions because of the Scottish Independence Referendum in 2014:

1 What happens if the UK quits the EU?

2 What happens if England, Wales and Northern Ireland (the not quite so United Kingdom) quits the EU?

Given the current state of the polls question 1 looks the more relevant. ;)

There is no possibility of a referendum before the next general election, and I suspect it will be 2016 or 2027 IF there is one. A lot will change between now and then, Cameron may well not be in power, lot's of other possibilities. The matter has raised it's head agiaan because ONE Tory MP has said there should be a referendum this Parliament, which won't happen as the request has already been voted down by Parliament.

chris955 Oct 6th 2013 9:34 am

I doubt much would change at all to be honest, less foreign workers coming into the UK and it might take 5 minutes more to get through passport control when going into Europe. Trade will continue as people will still want to buy and sell the same products.