Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What exercise do you do - and has it changed since you emigrated?

What exercise do you do - and has it changed since you emigrated?

Old Sep 14th 2008, 1:10 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Cool What exercise do you do - and has it changed since you emigrated?

People make a lot of noise about changing their lives when they emigrate and losing weight/getting fitter seems to be a popular strand of that argument. So, have you got fitter since you emigrated or are you the same lardy, unfit, armchair expert you always were? What form of exercise, above and beyond putting the bins out once a week, do you favour?
Old Sep 14th 2008, 1:17 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What exercise do you do - and has it changed since you emigrated?

Well as peeps know i used to be pretty fit - then got broken...overall ive gained about 20k in weight which is horrific but considering i was wheelchair bound etc not too bad...
im now defying drs and going on bike rides a couple of times a week, i try to go on walks a few times a week on top of the school run.

I went along to curves - lady only gym centre - id love to be able to join but cant justify the expense when i cant even use some of the equipment.

Im aiming on being as fit here if not fitter...will just take me a while to achieve it.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 1:38 pm
a bit nearer

darendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nice

i'm hoping to get fit when we finally arrive, should have a bit more time to achieve it!
god i'm so unfit now,i couldn't run out of a burning house.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Cycle to work two or three times a week. - 15 kms each way.

Couldn't do this in the UK, I'd have been wiped out before the first bend.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

margy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to all

Good thread

Hi All,

I'm hoping that when we emigrate in 6 weeks time the whole family walk more, swim more basically do more exercise together than we currently do.

I've not long been made redundant so at the moment I spend sometime at the gym but my OH doesn't really do any exercise. My daughter who is almost 13 only has 1 hour PE at school per week - this is terrible, Gordon Brown wants fitter children but failed to schedule it into the school curriculum.

Any way I thought we could do something as a family, I'll let you know how that pans out.

Thanks all.

M
Old Sep 14th 2008, 2:13 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hutch
People make a lot of noise about changing their lives when they emigrate and losing weight/getting fitter seems to be a popular strand of that argument. So, have you got fitter since you emigrated or are you the same lardy, unfit, armchair expert you always were? What form of exercise, above and beyond putting the bins out once a week, do you favour?
Done more walking and otdoors, but not continued UK gym work, hence i'm aching /creaking again.

Must rectify soon
Old Sep 14th 2008, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Cycle to work two or three times a week. - 15 kms each way.

Couldn't do this in the UK, I'd have been wiped out before the first bend.

A couple of people on my course cycle in and have nearly been hit several times in the last 6 months. I watched a car the other day pull right out infront of a bike who JUST managed to stop. Hubbie and I keep joking that this is the reason cycle helmets have to be worn here, because the drivers are so bad.

Personally I don't do any more excersise here, just walk the dog. I have managed to put on about 5kg since getting here, but junk food is so much easier to get, and simular in price to buying all the bits (which in the UK was cheaper). I do have a physical job though.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

helena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by katsmajic
Well as peeps know i used to be pretty fit - then got broken...overall ive gained about 20k in weight which is horrific but considering i was wheelchair bound etc not too bad...
im now defying drs and going on bike rides a couple of times a week, i try to go on walks a few times a week on top of the school run.

I went along to curves - lady only gym centre - id love to be able to join but cant justify the expense when i cant even use some of the equipment.

Im aiming on being as fit here if not fitter...will just take me a while to achieve it.
Hi,

Is that curves in UK or OZ? I spent over EUR1000 in curves here in Ireland and was the same size when I finished as when I started (one year later). I lost 5 stone with System10 and have kept it off with running/walking 6 days a week. The first thing we will be buying in Oz when we get there is a treadmill. I don't plan to put all that weight back on.

Helena
Old Sep 14th 2008, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really nice

Not there yet (Nov) but hoping/determined to strip back a lot of the sh*t that gets in the way of having a 'life'- that will enable me to do much more cycling and swimming than I have time for now, and get back into surfing and skateboarding.
I intend getting involved in the local surf (life-saving) club.
I am also intending going back to a more active job, after the last 8 years in an office.
All that should sort the fitness and weight out
Old Sep 14th 2008, 9:55 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I cycle a lot more (although I used to cycle a fair bit in the UK). I generally find the cycling easier here than in the UK although there are some exceptions (the lower congestion on some roads increases the danger). I wore a helmet in the UK as well, so the helmet laws are not a problem to me. I've had less trouble with badly driven cars here than in the UK.

I don't walk as much as we used to. I swim more, especially in summer.

I'm about 10kgs lighter but would like to lose another 10.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Here: have a treadmill at home which I walk/run on, walk in suburbs, use a WiiFit - try and work out at least every other day for 30 minutes.

UK: used to do step classes, exercise videos at home and walk a fair bit with the buggy.

Probably about the same all up, however I feel healthier here, I make much more effort to eat properly - I think the weather definitely helps in this regard.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 10:24 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a hardened CrossFitter now. High intensity, short duration workouts, drawn from gymnastics, olympic lifiting, natural body movements. Will never step foot in another commerical gym, ever. And thats saying something coming from an ex-competitive body builder/gym rat.

www.crossfit.com & www.crossfitsoutheastqueensland.com
Old Sep 14th 2008, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

emigratingherberts will become famous soon enoughemigratingherberts will become famous soon enough

I started playing tennis again in March. Haven't played for 20+ years since school. Thinking of playing ladies comp next term but a bit nervous about it. Couldn't have played so much in England because of the weather.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 10:39 pm
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

Got a dog here - so have to go for walks everyday which is great - lots of places for stunning walks and great off-leash areas too next to parks so the kids get exercise too!
Old Sep 14th 2008, 11:53 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I've just started going to the gym again after a three year hiatus. I'm not interested in bulking up, or even losing weight, just getting fitter. For that reason I do cardio - three spin classes a week. With proficiency approaching for the surf lifesaving season I'm also getting back in the pool twice a week to do some laps. I was a competitive swimmer when I was younger so I get back in the groove fairly easily. Having quit smoking six months ago I'm finding getting back in shape a lot faster this time round ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.