What do you want?

Old Aug 25th 2009, 4:26 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you want?

Originally Posted by Burbage
Disagree. Pay off your mortgage then look at investments. Your next invbestment may be another mortgage, but that will be then.

Look at it this way. If you don't own a property you can either pay rent or you can buy a home. Right. So let's say that either way it will cost you $1000 a month either in rent to a landlord or interest in a mortgage. Right.

So if you earn 5000 dollars a month, your actula income is $4000 right?

If you rent you can never change this.

If you buy a property you are able to eventually pay if off without incurring any extra cost. Interest goes down with time and rents go up.

At an interest rate of 5% you can pay off 100,000 dollars worth of your mortgage and you increase your income by about $414 a month. Tax free, since you've already paid tax on it.

Plus you've lowered a cost that you must pay.

And, believe it or not, you own more of your property, so if the worst comes and you have to sell then you'd be unlucky not to realise a profit on your home, which will net you even more money. And in Austlia you don't pay tax on capital gains from your own home, so that is safe too.

There is no other investment that can gain you so much.

Until you own your own home that is.
By the way. A financial advisor, unless they are a close personal friend, will try to talk you out of paying off your mortgage. That's because there is nothing in it for them. Never forget that your financial advisor has a vested interest in getting you to buy into financial "products".

Do the sums. Look at every single way you can invest your money. Get your calculator out and do the sums.

Don't forget tax and inflation.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

I'd probably save most of it but blow some of it on a once in a lifetime trip or cruise.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 5:15 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

By the way. A financial advisor, unless they are a close personal friend, will try to talk you out of paying off your mortgage. That's because there is nothing in it for them. Never forget that your financial advisor has a vested interest in getting you to buy into financial "products".

Do the sums. Look at every single way you can invest your money. Get your calculator out and do the sums.

Don't forget tax and inflation.
I don't agree about the close personal friend thing! I got some excellent advice recently regarding that very thing from someone whom I'd never met before in my life!
I have been doing the sums, doing a lot of reading too. And not forgetting tax and inflation, there ARE ways of making your money work better for you than blowing it all in a mortgage. Just my personal opinion of course.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 6:07 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
I don't agree about the close personal friend thing! I got some excellent advice recently regarding that very thing from someone whom I'd never met before in my life!
I have been doing the sums, doing a lot of reading too. And not forgetting tax and inflation, there ARE ways of making your money work better for you than blowing it all in a mortgage. Just my personal opinion of course.
So you're quite happy to pay interest to a bank all your life?

Edited to add: Of course, you can probably make five times more money, but at a hundred times the risk.

Last edited by Burbage; Aug 25th 2009 at 6:14 am.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 6:04 am

So you're quite happy to pay interest to a bank all your life?

Edited to add: Of course, you can probably make five times more money, but at a hundred times the risk.
There's absolutely different elements of risk when it comes to investments, as I'm sure a lot of US folks now know.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 6:09 am
Demi-God

There's absolutely different elements of risk when it comes to investments, as I'm sure a lot of US folks now know.
This is true.

So you have found an investment that returns 15% per annum compounding and is a safer investment than a house?
Old Aug 31st 2009, 4:18 am

This is true.

So you have found an investment that returns 15% per annum compounding and is a safer investment than a house?
Yes.

Would you like to know more?

I'm running a seminar next month in Sydney.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 4:23 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

This is true.

I have a nice safe pyramid scheme you are welcome to join.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 5:24 am
Demi-God

Yes.

Would you like to know more?

I'm running a seminar next month in Sydney.
Ah. A pyramid scheme.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 8:52 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Can you get a mortgage on a pyramid?
Old Aug 31st 2009, 9:32 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

a thinly veiled "I got a 100k cash and have everything I want" thread
Old Aug 31st 2009, 9:32 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seang
a thinly veiled "I got a 100k cash and have everything I want" thread
kidding
Old Aug 31st 2009, 9:41 am
can't lose the tie

mecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to all

You're saying you have everything you need so why not invest. I hear this guy in the US called Madoff is a genius in getting you a high rate of return.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by Seasider
Can you get a mortgage on a pyramid?
I don't see why not.

Are you selling one? I might be interested.