Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

what do you miss at this time of year from the uk

what do you miss at this time of year from the uk

Old Dec 17th 2011, 9:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what do you miss at this time of year from the uk

Originally Posted by chris955
There really is nothing that compares to it. It is hard to fathom how someone could prefer the stinking hot Aussie Christmas.
Actually... Being stinking hot and not wanting to be bothered because it doesnt "feel right" is a BONUS...

None of this "months of preparation...." the compulsion to hit the shops and spend beyond your means... The oressure of visiting ALL your family and fit in ALL your friends... This is a blessed relief....

Sorts the wheat from the chaff as far as card lists and gift exchanging goes...

Like a new broom ....

I Can reflect on the true meaning of christmas without the hype and shite for the first time in many years....
Old Dec 17th 2011, 9:46 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

But the spend beyond your means, the visiting, the cards etc etc are all the same here it's just their is no proper atmosphere.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 9:47 am

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by eddie007
Actually... Being stinking hot and not wanting to be bothered because it doesnt "feel right" is a BONUS...

None of this "months of preparation...." the compulsion to hit the shops and spend beyond your means... The oressure of visiting ALL your family and fit in ALL your friends... This is a blessed relief....

Sorts the wheat from the chaff as far as card lists and gift exchanging goes...

Like a new broom ....

I Can reflect on the true meaning of christmas without the hype and shite for the first time in many years....
And of course this downer on Christmas has nothing to do with the impending arrival of MIL?
Old Dec 17th 2011, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sheene
And of course this downer on Christmas has nothing to do with the impending arrival of MIL?
Who Moi???? I'm not down on Christmas... i'm having the best run up to it ever... No stress, no shopping, no excessive preparation...

Just quiet reflection on the birth of Christ...

Peace on earth and goodwill to all men....

dont tell HIM, but HIS Mother coming over ... I'm enjoying it.... I can smell singeing martyre as we speak.... KNOWING how I feel makes HIM uber sensitive to my "needs".... And he is uber considerate.. Even more than usual
Old Dec 17th 2011, 9:56 am

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

Who Moi???? I'm not down on Christmas... i'm having the best run up to it ever... No stress, no shopping, no excessive preparation...

Just quiet reflection on the birth of Christ...

Peace on earth and goodwill to all men....

dont tell HIM, but HIS Mother coming over ... I'm enjoying it.... I can smell singeing martyre as we speak.... KNOWING how I feel makes HIM uber sensitive to my "needs".... And he is uber considerate.. Even more than usual
All men?
Old Dec 17th 2011, 9:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sheene
All men?
With a few significant exceptions... Yes...
Old Dec 17th 2011, 9:59 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit I am not a huge Christmas fan but have a renewed enthusiasm since having kids. I'm not religious so I'm not bothered by all that side of things but the kids love it. Also our friends in England make a real event of Christmas Day, we really do miss that.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 10:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I must admit I am not a huge Christmas fan but have a renewed enthusiasm since having kids. I'm not religious so I'm not bothered by all that side of things but the kids love it. Also our friends in England make a real event of Christmas Day, we really do miss that.
I have 4 kids.... I am religious... We make a real event of christmas day...

But since coming here its been less commercial, less excessive.... Less stressful..... And for us, more meaningful.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 10:14 am
Banned

Less commercial, bloody hell I don't know where you are but here it's crazy. We are over run with junk mail all telling how we have to buy Dad a 50 in plasma
Old Dec 17th 2011, 10:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Less commercial, bloody hell I don't know where you are but here it's crazy. We are over run with junk mail all telling how we have to buy Dad a 50 in plasma
What do expect, I'm in WA.... But where ever you are you can get sucked in to the commercial stuff if you want to, we've been able to use this move to "tone that down" successfully...
Old Dec 17th 2011, 10:31 am
Banned

We dont get sucked in at all, we have never gone crazy at Christmas time but it is amazingly commercial here in Brisbane.

What do expect, I'm in WA.... But where ever you are you can get sucked in to the commercial stuff if you want to, we've been able to use this move to "tone that down" successfully...
Old Dec 17th 2011, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

kellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud of
Cool Re: what do you miss at this time of year from the uk

I am really missing a lot of things....
The cold
Wrapping up in my new scarf and gloves
wandering along the high street
The relief of entering a warm shop
Argos
Being able to relax with the heater on, a hot cocoa and Corrie
My Dad, my Mum, my brothers and sisters and my best friend. This year is so much harder than last year, no idea why.

On the bright side, I have a chance of winning a big promo at work. BNT will send me to Paris if I win and from there I can nip home to Exeter for some much needed hugs from my Daddy.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 11:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kellz
I am really missing a lot of things....
The cold
Wrapping up in my new scarf and gloves
wandering along the high street
The relief of entering a warm shop
Argos
Being able to relax with the heater on, a hot cocoa and Corrie
My Dad, my Mum, my brothers and sisters and my best friend. This year is so much harder than last year, no idea why.

On the bright side, I have a chance of winning a big promo at work. BNT will send me to Paris if I win and from there I can nip home to Exeter for some much needed hugs from my Daddy.
for you.... And the promo...
Old Dec 17th 2011, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

going out for the works christmas dinner, getting pissed and dancing to all the silly christmas songs - only thing i miss all year year round
Old Dec 17th 2011, 8:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

My dad.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.