Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What do you miss most about Pommy Land?

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: What (if anything) do you miss re your homeland (UK)?
Hommous
1.54%
Chips @ the Chip shop, when you ask for chips, not an hour wait
16.92%
Cadders Chockie
6.15%
sainsbo's etc
24.62%
mates (aka mateship)
32.31%
family
33.85%
cutesyness of towns, villages, lanes, countryside
32.31%
BBC TV
32.31%
decent radio
21.54%
decent pubs
44.62%
decent beer
18.46%
seasons
21.54%
lack of flies
20.00%
British humour
47.69%
NUFFINK!
12.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

What do you miss most about Pommy Land?

Old Mar 8th 2011, 5:21 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What do you miss most about Pommy Land?

Originally Posted by papilon
I have tried and yeah its good with some chips. But i would not want it if i was having Fish and chips, then tartare sauce, vinegar, salt is all thats required

Can you generally get good fish and chips in your neck of the woods? here in Melbourne they are generally very average which suprised me as i have had good ones before in other parts of Oz.
Fish, chips and curry is the one to go for then. That strange curry that only chippy's sell.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 5:34 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I used to get chips, cheese n gravy regularly at about 3am in London from a place on the corner of Tottenham Cr Rd and Oxford St...it burnt down unfortunately.
Chips and cheese, definitely but I'll pass on the gravy!
Old Mar 8th 2011, 6:33 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
You should've seen the state of me in those days hen...come to think of it, I'm not much better now!
Old Mar 9th 2011, 6:46 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

I'm late I know.... and I have no excuse.

I miss coloured ponies. The ones here are either shite, fat necked paint bred or slanty backside warmbloods. Yuck!

I'm going home!
Old Mar 9th 2011, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

margaretmwilson will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: What do you miss most about Pommy Land?

Proper butcher's sausage! I am going back to the UK in May and have requested my first meal be butcher's sausage with good old home made chips, can't wait.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProudVIC
...and here I am, 60km from Melbourne, on an acre planted with mostly Northern Hemisphere deciduous plants and surrounded by hundreds of spectacular European style gardens with rare plants from all over the world. The soil is deep loam and on the mountain it's red volcanic soil. We have rhododendrons, camellias galore, almost every species of tree you can think of and all mixed in and surrounded by magnificent native forest.

In the forest the native bluebells (Whalenbergia) are just finishing flowering and we have species of mint, lobelias, violets, geraniums, pelargoniums, clematis, ferns and tree ferns, elderberry, daisies and daisy bushes (some that grow up to 8m tall), etc. etc. all native to the area, i.e. Australian plants. Yes, there are native Australian species of these plants, they are not just found in Europe and North America. Add to that all the fantastic species of Eucalyptus and Acacia we have in our forests and the ancient Gondwanan relic flora we have in SE Aus that's related to species in South America.

There's even a native species of forget me not that grows up here.

At the moment we are awaiting Autumn when all the deciduous trees planted in gardens, parkland and lining the streets put on a spectacular display of colour, not just here, but over large parts of Victoria. We put in some Dahlias here in Spring and they have been flowering for several weeks now and are only about a third out with heaps of buds yet to open. They won't be at their best until early April.

In winter, we may even get a couple of days with snow falling here and more further up the mountain.

But of course, Australia doesn't have seasons, Australia doesn't have nice gardens or plants. Australia is a desert wasteland, not just some of it but all of it apparently.

BTW, Eastern Australia has far more spectacular forests than anything in England. Denser, greener and taller, with a dinosaur age sort of feel to it with the towering tree ferns etc.. We have the world's tallest flowering plant (and one of the tallest plants in the world full stop) in Victoria with some stands growing just a few km away from me and large forests full of it as close as 40km from Melbourne CBD (in the Dandenongs).
hmm...good post - educational, too.

Have to admit, I've always been a fan of "local knowledge"..it often puts some of the expat chat in perspective in some ways.

Depends on want you mean by a garden and some things aren't the same. Around here there are plenty of open gardens..