What do you miss?

Old Jul 19th 2010, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

sammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant future
Default What do you miss?

Am I the only one that was disappointed when they had their first Krispy Kreme donut, especially after being told how good they were? and has anyone managed to find a decent doughnut in Oz, because I haven't!! although that's probably a good thing for my hips!

In the morning I used to buy Tesco's raspberry filled doughnuts in the paper bag with the cellophane window, still warm from the oven. I could demolish six in about an hour no trouble! I still have fond memories of them.....
Old Jul 19th 2010, 2:46 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you miss?

Originally Posted by sammax
Am I the only one that was disappointed when they had their first Krispy Kreme donut, especially after being told how good they were? and has anyone managed to find a decent doughnut in Oz, because I haven't!! although that's probably a good thing for my hips!

In the morning I used to buy Tesco's raspberry filled doughnuts in the paper bag with the cellophane window, still warm from the oven. I could demolish six in about an hour no trouble! I still have fond memories of them.....
We have 24 Krispy Kremes in the office the other week and there was only 3 of us here ... I had one and it was so sweet and sickly I regretted it for the rest of the day.

Not a big doughnut fan but I like something that isn't stodge and sugar.

What do I miss? A decent doner kebab after a night with some old mates in a proper boozer would go down nicely right now.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 3:02 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
We have 24 Krispy Kremes in the office the other week and there was only 3 of us here ... I had one and it was so sweet and sickly I regretted it for the rest of the day.
That serves you right for not sharing them with a pregnant woman in need of a sugar fix.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 4:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

truely decent beer and a good kebab after 15 pints of it... thats what I miss... that and my home town... and my mates... and the family...

I also miss having to raid the kids piggy bank at the end of the month, HUGE electricity and HUGE gas bills, massive poll tax and insurance for a 19 year old to drive a car that required a second mortgage.. and the fact the kids couldn't walk down to the beach after school and swim in the indian ocean... not to mention MIL being less than 12,000 miles away... thats the thing I miss most... MIL not being 12,000 miles away

NOT
Old Jul 19th 2010, 4:14 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What do you miss?

I haven't been able to find a fish and chip shop that does them anything like we used to get in London - we were spoiled there with an award winning shop that had queues down the street.

We are spoiled though with some of the best pizzas in Melbourne 1 block away - http://www.maros.com.au/

BB
Old Jul 19th 2010, 4:48 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The Krispy Kreme ones are yeuch. We used to get Asda ones at work cos the store was across the road. Anyone visiting the office was told that they had to turn up with a bagful Not usually a cake eater, but they were just luscious
Old Jul 19th 2010, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

I miss decent Indian food. The one in Birkdale is ok if you've been out the UK a while but I miss being able to ring a curry house on a Saturday night and having a fab curry *delivered* in 45 minutes. When I ever go back to the UK I'm going to come back at least 3 dress sizes bigger!

Also Krackawheat, I've tried every cracker out there, nothing compares and I can't even buy it for a hideous amount of money in a UK food shop because no one sells it!
Old Jul 19th 2010, 5:07 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

Thank god it's not just me! I find the krispy Kreme and the Donut King and any other to be totally YUK.I honestly dont know what all the fuss is about. I was an avid fan of the bags of donuts from Tescos and Asda especially when I was lucky enuff to find the apple donuts (ooh yum) also the ones we'd buy when we went to Brands Hatch Ooh I can almost smell them now (queue dribbling smiley)
Haven't found any that have been remotely close in oz, however when desperate I have one jam donut from coles and nuke it in the microwave for 10 secs and it softened it and warmed it just enough to be palatable but only just.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I haven't been able to find a fish and chip shop that does them anything like we used to get in London - we were spoiled there with an award winning shop that had queues down the street.

We are spoiled though with some of the best pizzas in Melbourne 1 block away - http://www.maros.com.au/

BB
Have you tried Black Rock Fish and Chippery - pretty good. I don't have it battered though as i can't stand the stuff.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 5:12 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What do you miss?

Originally Posted by Hebe
Have you tried Black Rock Fish and Chippery - pretty good. I don't have it battered though as i can't stand the stuff.
No I haven't - thanks for that. We'll give it a go next time Mrs Buzzy permits a fish and chip purchase.

BB
Old Jul 19th 2010, 5:30 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't got much of a sweet tooth, so I don't miss anything donuty or the likes, tried one wee donut here when I first arrived and put the rest in the bin, they are vile

I miss lots of things, the food thing bothered me at first,now it doesn't as I can just about replace everything I left behind.

Missing the family, friends and hometown is another thing altogether though.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 5:31 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by squeezzii
Thank god it's not just me! I find the krispy Kreme and the Donut King and any other to be totally YUK.I honestly dont know what all the fuss is about. I was an avid fan of the bags of donuts from Tescos and Asda especially when I was lucky enuff to find the apple donuts (ooh yum) also the ones we'd buy when we went to Brands Hatch Ooh I can almost smell them now (queue dribbling smiley)
Haven't found any that have been remotely close in oz, however when desperate I have one jam donut from coles and nuke it in the microwave for 10 secs and it softened it and warmed it just enough to be palatable but only just.
God those apple ones were dreamy I kept trying the ones you can get here for the first couple of years, trying to convince myself they really were OK. Then I went home and had the real thing. Haven't touched an Aussie one since cos I know I'll be disappointed.

Originally Posted by Hebe
We have a great fish and chip shop just round the corner from work proper battered fish and everything. Rumour has it the place is up for sale so I hope to goodness whoever buys it gets all the recipes etc as well.

(anyone in north Brisbane, its called Christies Too, Kedron Park Road. )
Old Jul 19th 2010, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Typical bloke i guess as it has to beer and good pubs. God, the thought of pint of ale in a decent pub right now is making me weep.

Not had the kebab thing yet, but i suspect thats because i havent had a major beer session because i cant find a decent pub and lets not even start on the beer!

Though, if i could find a copy of my local selling the most perfect ale, it still wouldnt be the same without my mates
Old Jul 19th 2010, 6:21 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Having just returned from our first trip back to the UK since we arrived 5 years ago I can hand on heart say I miss nothing. There were a list of things I had to buy or eat and other than the chip shop chips nothing lived up to how I remembered them. In fact I found them repulsive. Even my northern husband who loved a nice beer only found 1 real ale that was vaguely palatable. This of course is only my experience and opinion which of course will differ from others.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Queens Park Rangers FC - despite all the misery they've given me down the years, the thing I miss most is going to the football every weekend. Sydney FC or rugby league just isn't the same

I do have tickets for the Ashes though so that might make up for it a bit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.