Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What do you look for in a house?

What do you look for in a house?

Old Jun 18th 2011, 1:52 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute
Default What do you look for in a house?

We are embarking on some long overdue renovations.

On a limited budget we want to make our home somewhere nice to enjoy for a couple of years... then possibly sell.

So, would really appreciate hearing what qualities you would look for (and avoid) in a house to buy.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: What do you look for in a house?

Originally Posted by brissybee

On a limited budget we want to make our home somewhere nice to enjoy for a couple of years... then possibly sell.

So, would really appreciate hearing what qualities you would look for (and avoid) in a house to buy.
I would not want to move into somebody else's home so I would look for something quite neutral where I could put my furniture without feeling like an intruder. Also, space and light are important to me so an airy well-lit space would be a must. I'm not hung up on brand new stuff or expensive fittings as long as they fit my basic requirements.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

aries_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What do you look for in a house?

A good kitchen and bathrooms. These are expensive to replace so the newer the better in neutral styles if they were not what I would pick from new.
No clutter
Neutral colour scheme
Clean
Good quality flooring, Amtico type vinyl, wood, tiles etc
Tidy
Well maintained garden
Old Jun 18th 2011, 2:27 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

This is very personal and remember we're not in Aus, but this is what I would like in a house

A large open plan kitchen living space, ideally opening out onto outdoor entertaining space. This should be big enough for the kids to use the sparc as a playarea/study area, somewhere to eat and somewhere to chill. A separate lounge/adult space. A laundry room. An open fire or log burner in both areas. A separate dining room is not a priority for me as I think it is a wasted space for the amount of times a diningroom would be used.

In the kitchen, I would have a wall filled with big cupboards and built in ovens at eye level. A large island with the hob in it. T'other side of the island would have some seating space. Lots of preparation area. The sink would be located under a window so I could see to the garden. I would possibly go for deep drawers instead of cupboards for storage as I believe they would be more accessible - Ikea do some fantastic ranges and have great storage solutions.

In the living space, I would have loads of shelving units, ala Ikea again such as the Besta range or Expedit range, for the TV, kids toys, books etc. Lots of comfy sofas etc.

In the formal lounge, it would be quite simple and grown up - no kids allowed

On the practical side, double glazing, good flooring and clean or new carpets. Easy to clean surfaces, no wallpaper if possible as I think it hides any possible problems. Plenty of power sockets and well positioned ceiling lights. Simple window dressings. Lots of storage areas. Simple lines in the bathrooms, no awkward niches etc to accumulate dust. Same for the kitchen - nothing too 'stylised'.

Tidy gardens with neat fencing, easy to maintain. Good parking

Not that i've thought about it much
Old Jun 18th 2011, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Location location location

Here is australia We brought the wrong house in the right location for us.. And are making it into the right house... Walk to beach, walk to city centre, walk to cafe strip, walk to primary and high schools, walk to pub... Cul de sac on Quiet well built estate, older thus with community feel, next to city centre park, bus stop 300 yards away

If I was renovating to sell... Which is exactly what we did in the uk...

Neutral colourschemes
White bathroom suite doesnt date
Decent flooring
street appeal... Making it look fabulous from the outside...

We had already done the new fitted kitchen and double glazing thing before we thought about immigrating.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 9:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Big kitchen, and from experience, no huge trees, white bathroom suite, free from damp/mould/insect damage. Built in cupboards, reasonably level access. Look carefully at the windows, and although cedar looks terrific, remember that cockatoos love to eat it and you are not covered by insurance.

Be practical, not smitten by the decor. Try to picture your lifestyle and how it would fit in.

Avoid busy roads or areas near schools, and try to steer clear of power cables.

Having said all that, we could not afford our perfect home, so we have had to buy one that needs renovating, and has cedar windows, huge trees, manky bathroom,tired kitchen, leaky roof (now fixed), but has space and is in the area we like. It is the worst house in a good street, so if we can ever do it up, we should make a profit when we come to sell- though it won't be for at least 10 years we think.

Would love double glazing, but having been quoted $68,900 plus GST, don't think that it will ever happen.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

What_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really nice

Would love double glazing, but having been quoted $68,900 plus GST, don't think that it will ever happen.[/QUOTE]

. As Victor Meldrew would say, I dont bloody belieeeeeve it!!. Now, if ever there was an entrepaneur out there, I suggest making double glazing here,not having to import it from Germany/US/ or wherever else it comes from. You'd make a killing , eso with all the brits who would want it. On a serious note, wonder why they dont make it here, its not like it doesnt get cold , or for that matter too hot
Old Jun 18th 2011, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

What_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really nice

I totally agree with all the other replies. Keep the bathroom white, as it will never look dated. Good flooring is a must. (Viewing a house with dirty stained carpets is a real turn off for me). I wouldnt do anything which is too permanent, and would be a pain for a potential buyer to remove ie, wall stencils, sometimes done in kids rooms looks nice while they are kids, but..... Keep the colour light and neutral, its easier to paint a light wall dark, than a dark wall light.
When you do eventually have viewings, make sure its as de cluttered as it can be, and if its a nice day have the windows/patio doors open.. Also, although it doesnt seem to be well recieved amongst estate agenst here, I would always want to show people round my own house, as like they say, noone knows your house like you do. Im sure loads will disagree, but to be honest thats just my preference. I have met a few agents who are unfriendly, almost to the point of rudeness, tho to be fair I am sure there are many more who are not, but would hate to think one of them trying to sell my home..
Old Jun 19th 2011, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

I would say take your time and do it each room properly. Maybe go and look at some new builds to get an idea or buy some magazines.Make sure the finishes are good quality,like door handles and taps.Keep it neutral.People like easy clean and low maintenance.You can get some bargains so keep an eye on sales.Look in bathroom warehouses for discount.Even though you plan on selling it make it homely and comfortable for you and your family.Enjoy and good luck.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 12:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

storage space and plenty of cupboards is very important. The rest just has to be clean tidy and Neutral.. A good looking front seems to work wonders as well. Make sure everything works... lights/windows/doors no squeaking floors or peeling paint etc etc.

PS when we considering what to do with our house, we did look around with the view of purchasing others. The biggest turn off after the first view from the street was if the people were home. We would not go in if they were. I think this is a strong expectation of the average Aus buyer, that the owner not be home. That way you can really look for faults. I consider myself mostly Australian now and this is how i expect most Aussies are.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jun 19th 2011 at 1:02 am.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 1:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Big kitchen, and from experience, no huge trees, white bathroom suite, free from damp/mould/insect damage. Built in cupboards, reasonably level access. Look carefully at the windows, and although cedar looks terrific, remember that cockatoos love to eat it and you are not covered by insurance.

Be practical, not smitten by the decor. Try to picture your lifestyle and how it would fit in.

Avoid busy roads or areas near schools, and try to steer clear of power cables.

Having said all that, we could not afford our perfect home, so we have had to buy one that needs renovating, and has cedar windows, huge trees, manky bathroom,tired kitchen, leaky roof (now fixed), but has space and is in the area we like. It is the worst house in a good street, so if we can ever do it up, we should make a profit when we come to sell- though it won't be for at least 10 years we think.

Would love double glazing, but having been quoted $68,900 plus GST, don't think that it will ever happen.
Try these... Aus made and the cheapest we've found.... possibly too cheap though !

http://www.polarwindows.com.au/
Old Jun 19th 2011, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with ozzieeagle, Australians like to have a good look around, opening cupboards and drawers, turning on showers, flushing toilets even. I've even seen them sitting down on sofas or on outside furniture. I think that it helps them imagine actually living in that house. If the owner is there, or if the tenants are there, it can really put them off. When there are home opens in our neighbourhood, almost everyone goes to have a look, even if they are not remotely interested in buying a house. Same thing happens at auctions, or when a new house is being built - people wander around the site. It might be a really big part of the Australian character, wanting an in-depth knowledge of other people's lives, without necessarily being prepared to give the same back. I love the Australian expression "to have a sticky beak".
Old Jun 19th 2011, 1:30 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Generally speaking .... the safe, any valuable paintings or 'curiosities', jewelry boxes and of course, the jocks drawers so I can run around wearing y fronts on my head whilst I'm doing the house.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 1:37 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I can't say anything about the house registered with us, it was just some rooms (the lounge being the most awkward shape known to man) with stuff that seemed to work attached to a pitiful little excuse for a patio.

The land around it did it though

I'm off to the creek to collect some firewood ...
Old Jun 19th 2011, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

A roof...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.