Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

what do you hate about Oz?

what do you hate about Oz?

Old Oct 16th 2011, 5:30 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what do you hate about Oz?

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Surely they are happier than you when you wish you were back in the UK? Per'chance?
Don't really wish to go back to the UK just yet.....better to be a big fish in a small pond ATM.

I just wish that some of the more civilised things about the UK (such as decent pubs and beer) were avilable here.

Will probably return to UK when I eventually retire...whenever that is
Old Oct 16th 2011, 5:30 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Old Oct 16th 2011, 5:33 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird

Presume you are very sad and told her you can't wait till she comes back again
Old Oct 16th 2011, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
That's the difference between Brissybee's winter and yours. Perth = wet and cold. Brisbane = dry season and sunny days (usually).

Another reason why people have such conflicting views of Aus probably - it's a big country with very different weather, scenery etc.
I dont get what the big pull towards Albany is... Just a hot scotland/lakedistricts imho.... I like what I perceive as australian countryside... Lots of Red dirt and grass trees.... Miles of nothing....

If I wanted little england I'd have stayed where I was... Says she who lives i. Shockingham
Old Oct 16th 2011, 5:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird

Subtle... Take it you've just got back from the airport and have cracked open that bottle of Moet you've had on ice....
Old Oct 16th 2011, 5:47 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
Subtle... Take it you've just got back from the airport and have cracked open that bottle of Moet you've had on ice....
Nah, still here. One more sleep. Just watched Casey Stoner become world champ again, off to the fishing club for a few wines and to watch the rugby. Come on you Wallabies
Old Oct 16th 2011, 5:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
On a positive note, let's focus on what I love about Oz.

So, here goes...

Winter.

The fact that I can grow frangipani.

How Jacarandas look when they're blooming.

Top loading washing machines.

The laundry dries quickly.

The fact that when I am late for something nobody really cares.

Paddling in the sandy shallows of a beach (rarely) in the late afternoon.

There are a couple of people I love (still) here.

Glad I came.
The Jacarandas are beautiful.

Missed those from Africa and couldn't believe it when I saw them here.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

General Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of light

I dont get what the big pull towards Albany is... Just a hot scotland/lakedistricts imho.... I like what I perceive as australian countryside... Lots of Red dirt and grass trees.... Miles of nothing....

If I wanted little england I'd have stayed where I was... Says she who lives i. Shockingham
Coincidence, was just saying to the wife, how about going for retirement visa...Albany....snag being got to wait til I'm 55...
Old Oct 16th 2011, 6:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

It is nice down that way, but as a kid I used to go from the Plibara down to Denmark at Christmas to see my mums family - strange wild little tanned creature with feet full of spinafex barbs - I hated it, used to be warmer in the water at the beach than on the shore, so used to spend all summer bobbing around as white pointer bait.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful climate, scenery, vineyards and local produce at Denmark and Albany, would be a great choice for retirement or an alternative lifestyle.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

General Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by HelenTD
Beautiful climate, scenery, vineyards and local produce at Denmark and Albany, would be a great choice for retirement or an alternative lifestyle.
Cheers, couldn't agree more - now got six or seven years to persuade her indoors to quit the concrete jungle life.....oh and we need the Aussie Dollar to reach its rightful level first!

Or eventually could just spend our winter months down there - summer in W.A. of course.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 6:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Don't really wish to go back to the UK just yet.....better to be a big fish in a small pond ATM.

I just wish that some of the more civilised things about the UK (such as decent pubs and beer) were avilable here.

Will probably return to UK when I eventually retire...whenever that is
I can see that. Does your son miss the UK - genuine question - or, is it again, a question of this being the right place for now? (You don't have to answer if it is private.)
Old Oct 16th 2011, 7:13 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant day, I can recommend to visit to a Queensland Rocketry Society launch day ... Lots of fun for a gold coin donation.

F1 now then Rugby
Old Oct 16th 2011, 7:21 am
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Brilliant day, I can recommend to visit to a Queensland Rocketry Society launch day ... Lots of fun for a gold coin donation.

F1 now then Rugby
F1 = pish, may as well just set up the scalextric and watch them go round and round for a couple of hours
Old Oct 16th 2011, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN
F1 = pish, may as well just set up the scalextric and watch them go round and round for a couple of hours
Exactly, has terrestrial tv ditched it all yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.