Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

what do you hate about Oz?

what do you hate about Oz?

Old Oct 14th 2011, 7:16 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what do you hate about Oz?

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I think their Tory values rubbed off on you
I was wealthier than them

Still am
Old Oct 14th 2011, 7:19 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
I was wealthier than them

Still am
As I was saying........
Old Oct 14th 2011, 7:36 am
Just Joined

humphreydoodle is an unknown quantity at this point

The driving leaves a lot to be desired, public transport is poor, insects/spiders eating you when you sit outside, ridiculous restrictions on where you can walk your dog, less annual leave then what I received in the UK, expensive airfares to go anywhere, speed cameras everywhere, suburban sprawl, huge houses with no gardens, heating goes out the walls and windows in the winter because of poor insulation, few children have any manners. IMO Australia is ok if you are young, fit, healthy and can get by financially. If you are not, you are stuffed. That's why we are off back to the UK.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 7:41 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by humphreydoodle
The driving leaves a lot to be desired, public transport is poor, insects/spiders eating you when you sit outside, ridiculous restrictions on where you can walk your dog, less annual leave then what I received in the UK, expensive airfares to go anywhere, speed cameras everywhere, suburban sprawl, huge houses with no gardens, heating goes out the walls and windows in the winter because of poor insulation, few children have any manners. IMO Australia is ok if you are young, fit, healthy and can get by financially. If you are not, you are stuffed. That's why we are off back to the UK.
13 posts in over 6 years?

I thought you would have been on here whining more often.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by humphreydoodle
I'll just ditto yours and add to it - the bloody cockatoos that screech louder than a 747 and wake you up at some ungodly hour, the Australian sense of humour (or lack thereof to be more precise), the in your face nationalism and Aussie Aussie Aussie oy oy oy mentality (a bit of humility would be good), political correctness (I live in Canberra, say no more) and the bland boringness of all that space that looks the same.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 7:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I hate driving home from work...especially on a Friday when they crack open the wine at 4pm Means I can only have one small glass...or catch a taxi home ($50...might as well buy my own wine then! )
Old Oct 14th 2011, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

The price of banana is still bloody high, I'm starting to forget what it taste like.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't really think of anything, so I asked Mr BS and his theme was definitely around prices. In particular he mentioned prices of books and DVDs and then also the bigger stuff like rent and house prices.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 10:01 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Drink driving and hooning.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 9:56 pm
Banned

RossCountyLoyal is an unknown quantity at this point

Cricket

Rockingham

Aussie rules footbal

Rugby union

Rugby league

Rockingham Chippies

Paula yates (ok, she wasn't australian, but still don't like her)

Ayers rock (its only a bit of bloody stone !! Have you ever seen dumbarton rock, its much nicer, right next to the water)

Paul hogan

Sydney opera house (very overrated)

Price of bananas

Mark viduka

The price of a pint at "the boat", mindarie. Nice view, shame about the prices

The people who hijacked this thread with crap about bermuda

Rockingham strip clubs

The people on this site who love to preach to everyone and hijack threads. I particularly like the idiots who continally come on and say that people will fall flat on their faces. Is that smug or what ? I have to say if being tuned into this forum every night and participating in the same old threads isn't falling flat on your face I don't know what is ?

Hot weather (that was my wife that added that, she is a ginge, don't know why she is coming, other than to cook the grub)

Can't buy alcohol at the supermarkets (although I do like the drive through carry out shops, great idea. Don't think it would work in ferguslie park though)

Paul Hogan's wife

Getting called sheila (I only had a dress on once)

Rockingham estate agents

Hilary's harbour - great place but not able to buy a beer until you buy a chippie first, wtf

Being pished as a fart in the "Whale & Ale" and refused a drink and given a pint of water.

The road into Rockingham

The inability of Kangooros to come out during the day - antisocial fu____rs

The price of a bag of chips at "the boat", mindarie

Rockingham beach

The numpties who will no doubt pour scorn on this post, and tell me off for being a naughty boy "you cannot tell other people what to post and what not to"

and finallly......

moving to oz in a few weeks time, can't wait. Think I might fall flat on my face with this attitude, but thats the way it goes.

Old Oct 14th 2011, 10:02 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

So, not keen on Rockingham hey ?
Old Oct 14th 2011, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

randb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RossCountyLoyal
Cricket

Rockingham

Aussie rules footbal

Rugby union

Rugby league

Rockingham Chippies

Paula yates (ok, she wasn't australian, but still don't like her)

Ayers rock (its only a bit of bloody stone !! Have you ever seen dumbarton rock, its much nicer, right next to the water)

Paul hogan

Sydney opera house (very overrated)

Price of bananas

Mark viduka

The price of a pint at "the boat", mindarie. Nice view, shame about the prices

The people who hijacked this thread with crap about bermuda

Rockingham strip clubs

The people on this site who love to preach to everyone and hijack threads. I particularly like the idiots who continally come on and say that people will fall flat on their faces. Is that smug or what ? I have to say if being tuned into this forum every night and participating in the same old threads isn't falling flat on your face I don't know what is ?

Hot weather (that was my wife that added that, she is a ginge, don't know why she is coming, other than to cook the grub)

Can't buy alcohol at the supermarkets (although I do like the drive through carry out shops, great idea. Don't think it would work in ferguslie park though)

Paul Hogan's wife

Getting called sheila (I only had a dress on once)

Rockingham estate agents

Hilary's harbour - great place but not able to buy a beer until you buy a chippie first, wtf

Being pished as a fart in the "Whale & Ale" and refused a drink and given a pint of water.

The road into Rockingham

The inability of Kangooros to come out during the day - antisocial fu____rs

The price of a bag of chips at "the boat", mindarie

Rockingham beach

The numpties who will no doubt pour scorn on this post, and tell me off for being a naughty boy "you cannot tell other people what to post and what not to"

and finallly......

moving to oz in a few weeks time, can't wait. Think I might fall flat on my face with this attitude, but thats the way it goes.

Pretty exhaustive and clear!
Old Oct 14th 2011, 11:07 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Prices - get ready to Internet shop from the US or Europe for virtually everything other than food

Shoddy service - why do so many people try and bullshit you rather than admit they don't know.

Job market - nepotism, friend of a friend, over licensing

No watchable television

Insular/racist/nationalist

Good stuff:
Space, wild animals, people are friendly (superficially at least), sunny, lovely national parks, great beaches and coast.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 12:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Good point on shoddy service. 10 years ago the service was anything but shoddy. No one seems interested in helping until you get the manager involved

The TV is rubbish. Even my 1000 channel foxtel subsciption has nothing on it.

Bogans - can't stand them

The constant bad weather in sydney. That was not in the brochure

Narrow minded locals, who think they know it all, yet don't even own a passport.

Road tolls. Sydney to richmond is about 20 dollars 1 way.

Still .... I'm enjoying it here and there's a million more job opportunities than the UK has right now.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 2:04 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Mmm, yes I agree on all points, good and bad.

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Prices - get ready to Internet shop from the US or Europe for virtually everything other than food

Shoddy service - why do so many people try and bullshit you rather than admit they don't know.

Job market - nepotism, friend of a friend, over licensing

No watchable television

Insular/racist/nationalist

Good stuff:
Space, wild animals, people are friendly (superficially at least), sunny, lovely national parks, great beaches and coast.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.