Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What do you do that your parents did, but thought you never would

What do you do that your parents did, but thought you never would

Old Aug 7th 2018, 1:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Default What do you do that your parents did, but thought you never would

What I mean is those kinda silly, doesn't really matter, kind of things. My mum is always letting cups of tea go cold. I used to tell her off for the wasted ingredients and electricity to boil the kettle.

This morning I have made 5 cups of tea, actually finished only one. The others went cold well before half way. I could zap it in the microwave but that's not quite the same to me. Got to be fresh made - splash of milk, strong, no sugar, thanks.

I'm on my sixth cuppa now. Determined to finish this one.
Old Aug 7th 2018, 1:17 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you do that your parents did, but thought you never would

I drive like my dad. I do absolutely nothing like my mother because she was not someone you would look up to or pick up habits from and I made a point as soon as I had kids that if I found myself doing something the same way she did, I'd stop and ensure I did it another way.
Old Aug 7th 2018, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I do absolutely nothing like my mother because she was not someone you would look up to or pick up habits from and I made a point as soon as I had kids that if I found myself doing something the same way she did, I'd stop and ensure I did it another way.
I'm with you on this one-all the way.
Old Aug 7th 2018, 2:50 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing. Nothing at all. Just as well.
Old Aug 7th 2018, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Forget the names of relatives and friends. (Not all the time, just sometimes!) My grandmother in Queensland often had to go through the family pedigree before she got to mine - including her son Stace who was killed in New Guinea in 1942. Go figure!
Old Aug 12th 2018, 5:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I knit! My mother was an excellent knitter so I never saw the need for me to do it because I knew that she was always going to be much much better at it than I could ever be. So I tatted and cross stitched and macramed and tapestried until carpal tunnel meant I could no longer hold a needle. Then along came grandkids, the carpal tunnel got fixed and while recovering from the surgery I thought I should do the grandmotherly thing and knit something for the munchkins, then my DH suggested that he would like a pair of socks ...... talk about addiction! Anyway as my knitting skill slowly increased my mother’s dementia combined with her still perfectionist tendency meant that she struggled with even the most basic garter stitch square. Then came the day (which still astonishes me) when my mother told me she thought I was an excellent knitter and could I please make her a couple of pairs of socks and a hat for a funeral. I did, of course. If you’d have told me 10 years ago that I would be knitting lace, fairisle, Aran, double knitting and going to knitting groups for making new friendships I’d have laughed in your face but there ya go! Mind you there are still lots of things my mum did that I’ve told my DH he may shoot me should I ever start on the way she did!
Old Aug 12th 2018, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

One of my earliest memories is of my Mum saving string, even bits that were two or three inches long. I don't do that, but I do save those twisty things that are used to keep plastic bags closed. Same principle. Come to think of it, I've never seen those things for sale anywhere. Are they sold in shops, like rubber bands?
Old Aug 13th 2018, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

daveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond repute

Those twisty things are now sold in long rolls on a cardboard backing which holds a little clipper so you can cut them to any length.

They are available in most hardware stores and garden centers.
Old Aug 13th 2018, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the tip, dave: the two places I try my best not to go into!
Old Aug 13th 2018, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
One of my earliest memories is of my Mum saving string, even bits that were two or three inches long. I don't do that, but I do save those twisty things that are used to keep plastic bags closed. Same principle. Come to think of it, I've never seen those things for sale anywhere. Are they sold in shops, like rubber bands?
When we buy own-brand freezer bags from woolies (100 for very cheap) they come with 100 of those twisty things too. Most recent use for one was on one of my boys' toys - little toy truck' towbar broke. Two or three twisty things twisted together, then twisted around the toy to make a new tow bar/rope/thing.

Let's twist again...
Old Aug 13th 2018, 7:55 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lucas_Dad
When we buy own-brand freezer bags from woolies (100 for very cheap) they come with 100 of those twisty things too. Most recent use for one was on one of my boys' toys - little toy truck' towbar broke. Two or three twisty things twisted together, then twisted around the toy to make a new tow bar/rope/thing.

Let's twist again...
When my sons were kids I used to collect those twisty things that came with the various toys (water cannons, remote controlled cars, etc) that we bought them. They were extra long and strong too so very versatile. I have a huge tub of them (probably a life time's supply - or at least until the grand-children come along) that followed us to Australia along with all the other tins and plastic jars of screws, curtain rail clips, screw driver and drill bits, washers, you name it. I have about 25 such containers all lined up nicely on a shelf in my workshop for easy access - just as my dad used to do.
Old Aug 13th 2018, 8:01 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Bits and pieces of timber, plate steel, brackets, and general junk for use when making something new from old or improvising materials for carrying out repairs. I always keep a keen eye open for potential re-usable objects - just like dad did.
Old Aug 15th 2018, 9:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Swinging
Old Aug 16th 2018, 8:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
Swinging
Just so long as you're not swinging with your parents....
Old Aug 16th 2018, 9:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Just so long as you're not swinging with your parents....
Just after the 2 hours elapsed I thought bugger, I should've put dogging

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.