Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What do you do that your parents did, but thought you never would

What do you do that your parents did, but thought you never would

Old Sep 18th 2018, 12:46 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you do that your parents did, but thought you never would

Crystal Meth.

It’s moreish.
Old Sep 19th 2018, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
In general I don't think I do much that my parents did - but I find I do now have a pair of 'gardening trousers'. Not I hasten to add because I'm a 'gardener', but because having an old, falling apart pair of jeans that you can get a bit of extra wear out of beats cleaning a good pair if/when they get grass or mud on them. Old trousers/jeans rotate into the roll, prior to going in the bin when the arse actually is hanging out ...
I rotate business shirts with a check in to garden use..the collar is helpful to protect from the sun.
Old Nov 10th 2018, 2:37 pm
Horrid Yank

manekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
I thought I would never do this, and always cringed when my mother (born 1912) did it. But just the other day I realised that in my dotage it had become a cringe-worthy habit of my own. Scraping the last of the butter/margarine off the "greaseproof" wrapper it's sold in! Please will somebody tell me I'm not alone?
Same here, and I'm a penny pincher like my mother. But she had scary personal qualities that I reject, and I can be a pushover at times to be her opposite. My mother used to bark "TIMID!, TIMID!!!" at me for being insufficiently assertive.

My father had this strange habit of opening the car door window at least a crack to ensure the cabin doesn't get poisoned by carbon monoxide or somesuch. Now I do the same, all the time, and can't stop it.

Edited to add 99% of the things I do and the way I live is different from my parents'. For example, I'm a native NY'er and flung myself to live in the way out west and embrace a different lifestyle, whereas my father never traveled west of Pennsylvania during his life.

Last edited by manekeniko; Nov 10th 2018 at 2:44 pm. Reason: Slow witted here.
Old Nov 10th 2018, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manekeniko
My father had this strange habit of opening the car door window at least a crack to ensure the cabin doesn't get poisoned by carbon monoxide or somesuch.
No, I don't think that was the reason. I do that so that the car doesn't get too hot, on a hot day!
Old Nov 10th 2018, 3:31 pm
Horrid Yank

manekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond repute

No, I don't think that was the reason. I do that so that the car doesn't get too hot, on a hot day!
He opened the window in all weather, and it was definitely about poison gas concerns. Maybe someone told him to do this or he read something scary. Sometimes pointless scares stick with people.

Way back in the day a doctor told my mother it's dangerous to bathe or shower while sick, so she never let me get clean when I was sick.
Old Nov 10th 2018, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manekeniko
Way back in the day a doctor told my mother it's dangerous to bathe or shower while sick, so she never let me get clean when I was sick.
Among the things that I have always made a point of not doing that my mother did, is rubbing Vicks on my or my wife or child's chest when they had a cold. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, but I used to feel humiliated when I was the victim.
Old Nov 10th 2018, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

My mother,born in 1916, would not go to classical concerts. "Not for the likes of us," was her judgement. I go when I can. To things like this (not in Australia - but you can listen on the wireless device) https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/rzrbj5/by/date/2018

Last edited by scot47; Nov 10th 2018 at 5:03 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2018, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by scot47
... but you can listen on the wireless device...
Thanks for a reminder of the days when a radio was called a wireless. As a kid in the Australian bush I used to listen to the live broadcasts of cricket test matches played in England as well as in Australia. I marvelled at the clarity of the sound. One could even hear the ball hitting the bat, for goodness sake! Many, many years later I read that the commentators used to tap a pencil on the desk they sat at, to make that authentic sound. Sigh...
Old Nov 11th 2018, 11:43 pm
Horrid Yank

Among the things that I have always made a point of not doing that my mother did, is rubbing Vicks on my or my wife or child's chest when they had a cold. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, but I used to feel humiliated when I was the victim.
I was never subjected to Vick's, however wallowing in my own filth while sick (as I mentioned above) was a problem. One time when she was gone I snuck into the shower, and.... !!!

When she came home I was asked why my hair looked so clean. I lied, telling her I used a powder shampoo and avoided the browbeating. Bad, bad me.