Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What do you do with a dead pet (rabbit) ?

What do you do with a dead pet (rabbit) ?

Old Oct 7th 2015, 12:24 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you do with a dead pet (rabbit) ?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You can't bury it, and can't put it in the bin. .... Hmmm, now what else could you do with it? ..... You realise you have asked this question in "The Barbie", don't you?
I guess it would depend on why it died. Old age or diseased possibly wouldn't taste good.
Old Oct 7th 2015, 1:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
And don't forget you will also need Cert IV in deceased small animal disposal...

S
I don't know a lot about this topic, but I have heard that farmers in the UK need to properly dispose of deceased livestock which means you cannot bury it in the field. Not sure if similar rules apply here for domestic pets.
Old Oct 7th 2015, 2:51 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I don't know a lot about this topic, but I have heard that farmers in the UK need to properly dispose of deceased livestock which means you cannot bury it in the field. Not sure if similar rules apply here for domestic pets.

Me neither - I was being glib - though my GF's brother had to dispose of a dead alpacca, and he just dug a hole with a mini digger and dumped it in there.

Large animals - like deer - need to be treated with care, because they have a tendency to start rotting from the inside out. This is why it's usually a bad idea to pick up deer carcasses from the road, as you have no idea how long they have been there. This is the main reason that disposal of larger animals is regulated in some way - butchering needs to be started within a set period of time, else you risk the meat being spoiled.

S
Old Oct 7th 2015, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say about 45 mins in a pre-heated oven. 180 degrees. Stick it in a pan with some rosemary and garlic. Serve with some roasties and veg of your choice.
Old Oct 7th 2015, 8:23 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Beware!
I have an elderly uncle that runs his own very successful electrical tech business. He bought his property many years ago & it looks out onto Brownsea Island & Poole harbour, what’s now become quite an affluent area. Recently the property next door sold to a family that bred lovely fluffy Angora Rabbits. The father, an investment banker, complained about my uncle’s Red Setter upsetting his rabbits quite soon after they moved in. The loopy dog would stand at the 6’ high fence & bark at the rabbits he could only smell. As a result they had to keep the dog locked inside during the day.
My uncle has a heart condition & has been banned from the local café [my aunt knows the owner] where he used to indulge in a daily full English breakfast. He’s now taken to secretly coming home mid-morning for a quick fry-up whilst she’s at work. He cooks himself & the dog a bacon & egg sandwich & then washes up the evidence while the dog has a quick run in the back yard.
Recently he was standing at the sink washing the frypan when he noticed the dog re-appear from under the fence. To his dismay it had a rabbit in its mouth that it proceeded to throw in the air & toss about like a toy. He rushed out & separated dog from deceased rabbit & noticed the rabbit was filthy & quite badly mauled; however, the soap suds on his hands had a cleaning effect. He quickly took the dead rabbit inside and washed it thoroughly in hot soapy water & then blow dried the corpse intending to place it back in the cage hoping the banker would think it died of natural causes.
He retrieved the step ladders from his van & climbed over the fence where he found a cage door open & missing its inhabitant. Placing the rabbit back in the cage & closing the door he chastised the dog, filled in the hole either side of the fence & went back to work.
Later in the evening there was a loud banging on his front door. The banker was standing quite there quite irate. My uncle enquired what the problem was and the banker explained that over the weekend one of his prize winning rabbits had died. He'd buried it alongside the fence. He was now in a state of anguish as some "sick bastard" had dug up the dead rabbit, washed & blow dried it before placing it back in its cage.
Old Oct 7th 2015, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
I know the Brisbane City Council have a service to come pick up your dead dogs, so maybe they do other pets. What State are you in?
Oh, I'm fine, thanks, but my daughter had a bit of a cry.

Anyway, I took it to a vet. $25.
Old Oct 7th 2015, 10:53 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Beware!
I have an elderly uncle that runs his own very successful electrical tech business. He bought his property many years ago & it looks out onto Brownsea Island & Poole harbour, what’s now become quite an affluent area. Recently the property next door sold to a family that bred lovely fluffy Angora Rabbits. The father, an investment banker, complained about my uncle’s Red Setter upsetting his rabbits quite soon after they moved in. The loopy dog would stand at the 6’ high fence & bark at the rabbits he could only smell. As a result they had to keep the dog locked inside during the day.
My uncle has a heart condition & has been banned from the local café [my aunt knows the owner] where he used to indulge in a daily full English breakfast. He’s now taken to secretly coming home mid-morning for a quick fry-up whilst she’s at work. He cooks himself & the dog a bacon & egg sandwich & then washes up the evidence while the dog has a quick run in the back yard.
Recently he was standing at the sink washing the frypan when he noticed the dog re-appear from under the fence. To his dismay it had a rabbit in its mouth that it proceeded to throw in the air & toss about like a toy. He rushed out & separated dog from deceased rabbit & noticed the rabbit was filthy & quite badly mauled; however, the soap suds on his hands had a cleaning effect. He quickly took the dead rabbit inside and washed it thoroughly in hot soapy water & then blow dried the corpse intending to place it back in the cage hoping the banker would think it died of natural causes.
He retrieved the step ladders from his van & climbed over the fence where he found a cage door open & missing its inhabitant. Placing the rabbit back in the cage & closing the door he chastised the dog, filled in the hole either side of the fence & went back to work.
Later in the evening there was a loud banging on his front door. The banker was standing quite there quite irate. My uncle enquired what the problem was and the banker explained that over the weekend one of his prize winning rabbits had died. He'd buried it alongside the fence. He was now in a state of anguish as some "sick bastard" had dug up the dead rabbit, washed & blow dried it before placing it back in its cage.
An oldie but a goodie
Old Oct 7th 2015, 10:54 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elmtree

Hats off to you for being so sensitive to your daughter's feelings. You're a good dad or mum
Old Oct 7th 2015, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Old Oct 7th 2015, 12:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Haha, glad you're okay and Harvey's found his way to rabbit heaven via the vet.
Old Oct 8th 2015, 2:03 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute