British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   What to do when a drunk or suspicious person tries to break into your house (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/what-do-when-drunk-suspicious-person-tries-break-into-your-house-876318/)

QLDlover Apr 22nd 2016 5:16 am

What to do when a drunk or suspicious person tries to break into your house

This happened to me last night. Was asleep and around 4am felt someone is pushing the door hardly trying to open and enter my house. First thought its happening in my neighbor's house but was shocked when looked at the door from the window. A lady was lying at my door. She then stood up and pushed the door trying to enter. Sat down and stood up again kicked on the door hardly pushing the door again. She was at my door for about 15 mins.
My wife was so scared that she could not speak. Thanks god my 2 years old son did not hear anything. I picked up my mobile phone and called 000 asking for help.
The copes arrived at my property 5 minutes later when she already had fled. Police did not believe in burglary and said the person probably came to the wrong address.

I could not see the lady because did not turn the lights on but she looked alike my neighbor.

I am worried if she repeats the same. So if the scenario repeats what would be the best decision ?
Calling police or opening the door and talking to her ?

P.S we never had a problem or issues making her coming at my door.

BEVS Apr 22nd 2016 5:34 am

Re: What to do when a drunk or suspicious person tries to break into your house

Scare the clack & bejazers out of her. She'll remember where she lives next time or at least she'll know your door is set to heart attack mode.

Also, speak to your neighbour and ask her if anyone has been bothering her own door at 4am :sneaky:

Dorothy Apr 22nd 2016 5:37 am

Originally Posted by QLDlover (Post 11929185)
This happened to me last night. Was asleep and around 4am felt someone is pushing the door hardly trying to open and enter my house. First thought its happening in my neighbor's house but was shocked when looked at the door from the window. A lady was lying at my door. She then stood up and pushed the door trying to enter. Sat down and stood up again kicked on the door hardly pushing the door again. She was at my door for about 15 mins.
My wife was so scared that she could not speak. Thanks god my 2 years old son did not hear anything. I picked up my mobile phone and called 000 asking for help.
The copes arrived at my property 5 minutes later when she already had fled. Police did not believe in burglary and said the person probably came to the wrong address.

I could not see the lady because did not turn the lights on but she looked alike my neighbor.

I am worried if she repeats the same. So if the scenario repeats what would be the best decision ?

Well, common sense tells me that if someone is pushing and kicking my door at 4 am I'm not going to wait 15 minutes before calling 000.

Kim67 Apr 22nd 2016 7:14 am

I wonder if it was my ex in drag! He had a habit of getting so wasted that he didn't know where he lived. Not long before I left him he phoned me at about 4.45am abusing me because I hadn't opened the front door for him and been knocking for hours. I could hear a dog barking in the background of the phone and thought it was all a bit strange. I went downstairs to let him in and he wasn't there. Phoned his phone to check he wasn't laying in the bushes somewhere and he picked up insisting he was at the front door. Turned out he was 15km away at someone else's front door. I managed to find him and drag him into the car - drunken d*ckheads do it all the time. If it was your neighbour, she's probably completely embarrassed and will watch how many drinks she has next time, but if on the off chance it does happen again, call the cops, it may save some poor stressed spouse (like myself) from dragging their kids out of bed and collecting them.

Beoz Apr 22nd 2016 9:11 am

Probably sleep walking or pissed up. You got locks on the door right? That's what they are there for.

Wol Apr 22nd 2016 10:46 am

The PC way is to invite them in, make a nice cuppa (don't forget to ask if they prefer Earl Grey or English Breakfast).

Ask about their day, and gently broach the fact that it's entirely possible that you actually own the house - show them the deeds, but admit that quite possibly they might have some rightful business in it and could perhaps actually own it.

Don't let the knife wound(s) that he's generously donated to you colour your attitude to your guest, and certainly don't raise your voice (which might be construed as assault when you face the judge).

If he won't accept your offer of a bed, or your wife, insist that he fills your car up with most of your electronics and spare cash and bid him farewell.

You might get away with a warning from the constabulary by taking this advice.

Or you could "do it my way".

Shoot the bugger.

jad n rich Apr 22nd 2016 11:29 am

First Night after we moved into rental in melbourne, 2 guys in a car appeared at 2am. Broke into unit next door, I am ducked down below window calling police who fail to arrive before they finally back down driveway, headlights off, scared off by my constant flicking on and off the security light.

Police arrive and tell me not to worry they are just stealing the stuff out of the new unit next door and probably wouldnt have hurt me :eek:

Totally terrified now if left alone for the night, once even went to the drive in in the back seat with the kids so I did not have to stay here alone.

Police could not have cared less, shone torch around, and left!

Vash the Stampede Apr 22nd 2016 11:58 am

What to do when a drunk or suspicious person tries to break into your house

Just yell, 'Go home Mr Abbott, nobody wants you!'

He'll get the message.

Eventually.

:lol:

moneypenny20 Apr 22nd 2016 12:15 pm

I wouldn't have thought your two year old would have been remotely bothered. Unless your or your wife made them so. Next time open the window and tell them to bog off. Or call the police immediately and not leave it 15 minutes.

The first weekend we were in our house in the UK there was a very heavy knock at the door at about 2am, I then heard noises in the back garden. The husband went to the front door whilst I peered out of the bedroom window. I saw a group of guys in black creeping around and then heard the guy at the door tell my husband to get on the floor with his hands out. Turned out they were armed police looking for the previous owner. Hey ho. :lol: Didn't get a lot of sleep that night!

Silas Mickey Apr 22nd 2016 12:17 pm

First try to make him understand that you are doing wrong. This isn't right actually what you doing and it's better to go home now. If don't agree then what to do call the police instantly.

cresta57 Apr 25th 2016 10:26 am

I recommend the bucket of water approach: Fill the bucket with ice cold water get wife to open door while you throw the contents of the bucket over the drunk. It lets them know they aren't welcome, sobers them up and they usually bugger off.
We had to do this a couple of times when a drug dealer moved in, very briefly, next door but one to our place in the U.K. and his clients banged on our door by mistake.

scrubbedexpat098 Apr 25th 2016 11:44 pm

My wife had a very similar scenario once, but it was me I'd lost my keys on the way home from the pub

Dreamy Apr 26th 2016 1:41 am

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 11932008)
My wife had a very similar scenario once, but it was me I'd lost my keys on the way home from the pub

I'd have definitely done the cold bucket of water then :lol: