British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   What to do if wages are not paid? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/what-do-if-wages-not-paid-814630/)

brissybee Nov 9th 2013 2:27 am

What to do if wages are not paid?

Two months ago my teen did some casual work, organised through an agency. We are becoming increasingly concerned that, despite our inquiries, we are unable to obtain a firm date for payment by the agency.

The agency seems to be suggesting its client has, so far, only paid for some of the casual workers employed on the same job (same day).

I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience... and can shed some light on what we can do to ensure payment asap?

Poitin Nov 9th 2013 3:54 am

Re: What to do if wages are not paid?

Contact Fairwork.gov.au and see what they advise.

Hope that works.

Poitin

Kapri Nov 9th 2013 5:03 am

I would be marching into the agency and demanding immediate payment.

jad n rich Nov 9th 2013 9:09 am

Teen was working as electrical apprentice. Did not get paid wages for 3 weeks and no super for the entire year he was there.

Fair work gave us contacts and we had to lodge claims for the super, with the tax dept.

The employer was very abusive and bare faced liar, even told me he had paid the super, while I was looking at account with no super in it:sneaky: he eventually paid some wages, son was happy enough to accept what he paid, was just sick of chasing the idiot. ( wealthy guy who could well have afforded to pay a 17 year old kid who worked his guts out.)

He has never got the super, I assume the tax dept must be working on it, we received confirmation of our complaint, months ago now, nothing as yet...

SillyOldBag Nov 9th 2013 11:27 am

Originally Posted by brissybee (Post 10983309)
Two months ago my teen did some casual work, organised through an agency. We are becoming increasingly concerned that, despite our inquiries, we are unable to obtain a firm date for payment by the agency.

The agency seems to be suggesting its client has, so far, only paid for some of the casual workers employed on the same job (same day).

I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience... and can shed some light on what we can do to ensure payment asap?

I would be inclined to contact the agency and ask what the situation is. When they give the usual fob off story, ask them to put it in writing what steps they have taken to get the money, when contact was made with the employer and what response if any they have received. Tell them that you will be taking legal action if payment is not forthcoming and will need their statement as evidence. If they won't assist you, then contact fairwork.gov (I found them very helpful when my stepson was having issues with an employer) and ask them for advice on what can be done and if there is an ombudsman type body governing job agencies that you can complain to about the agency concerned. I hate it when people try to take advantage of youngsters like this, you do the work, you should get paid. It can be hard enough to get a teen into the workforce without them thinking that it's not worth the effort because you don't get paid!

I'm not sure how agencies work, does the employer pay them and then they pay the worker? Have you tried contacting the employer directly saying that the agency are fobbing him off and you're sure there has just been a misunderstanding but what is happening about the pay?

brissybee Nov 12th 2013 1:16 am

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I made further inquiries yesterday and I had it from a couple of different sources that the wages are slow coming... but coming.

For now I will take it on face value - for another couple of weeks... though for my trouble I was made to feel like a bit of a cow for asking why the hold up.

Chortlepuss Nov 12th 2013 1:35 am

I had a similar situation and received this advice to put the conversation in writing (email) that I'll share...
after my conversation with the agency I emailed them along the lines of 'following our discussion of dd/mm/yy I would like to confirm that you have agreed payment will be forthcoming within X timescale. I will therefore expect payment by dd/mm/yy in order to avoid taking further action in pursuit of this payment.

After sending this, I got payment pretty promptly. As a consultant however, my agreement was with the agency (they take a cut) and the fact that they were stuffed by the client was neither here nor there.