British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   What do I take?????????? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/what-do-i-take-363874/)

sj oldfield Mar 27th 2006 11:45 am

What do I take??????????

I have been invited to a baby shower this week and as I have never been to one before I havent the foggiest idea what I am expected to take.
Do I take nibbles........or drink........perhaps a gift for the baby.......or maybe the expectant mum....or is it that I take ALL of the mentioned????????
Dont wnt to looka twat, but when I had my kids baby showers were unheard of. The work colleagues had a wip round and you got a baby bath full of Johnson goodies!!!! Any help would be GREATLY appreciated....... :D

tiredwithtwins Mar 27th 2006 11:50 am

Re: What do I take??????????

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
I have been invited to a baby shower this week and as I have never been to one before I havent the foggiest idea what I am expected to take.
Do I take nibbles........or drink........perhaps a gift for the baby.......or maybe the expectant mum....or is it that I take ALL of the mentioned????????
Dont wnt to looka twat, but when I had my kids baby showers were unheard of. The work colleagues had a wip round and you got a baby bath full of Johnson goodies!!!! Any help would be GREATLY appreciated....... :D

i went to one a couple of years ago with a pressie for mum, one for baby and a bottle of wine :D

sj oldfield Mar 27th 2006 11:56 am

Thanks a bunch!!!! Helped out a lot!!

sj oldfield Mar 27th 2006 11:59 am

Any idea what i can get for a expectant mum who is STILL a size 10 (with just a huge bump) that still lives in 3/4 white pants, white vest with a big chunky belt round her belly and looks BLOODY fantastic........and has just moved into a fab new house, has a hubby that does it all.......then on top of that is a really nice person. :D

Cheetah7 Mar 27th 2006 12:01 pm

When I went to a baby shower, I bought nappies (always useful), vests (you can never have too many vests), mittens, bootees etc, just stuff you know will be useful.

And of course, wine for my friend. :)

Toontje Mar 27th 2006 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
i went to one a couple of years ago with a pressie for mum, one for baby and a bottle of wine :D

For the baby???? :D

tiredwithtwins Mar 27th 2006 2:48 pm

Any idea what i can get for a expectant mum who is STILL a size 10 (with just a huge bump) that still lives in 3/4 white pants, white vest with a big chunky belt round her belly and looks BLOODY fantastic........and has just moved into a fab new house, has a hubby that does it all.......then on top of that is a really nice person. :D

voucher for a manicure at her 'usual ' place :D
or a reflexology massage.....oh, arent they banned when you are pregnant? (or is that just eggs.... :D )

or.....get her some marigold gloves with fur trim...tell her they are for when she has to wash all the bottles.
or to really make her think about the hard work ahead, some arncia cream, nipple shields and earplugs :D :D :D

webgum Mar 27th 2006 2:55 pm

I was a baby shower virgin myself til I came to Perth. The one I went to involved present for mum or baby, booze and most folks bought food.
Enjoy!

DollyDaydream Mar 27th 2006 4:33 pm

Any idea what i can get for a expectant mum who is STILL a size 10

Bitch! :D

My friend is 5 months pregnant and she's in size 10 jeans (usually a size 6)...oh how I wish to be size 12 again!!!! Oh the stigma of STILL being bigger than someone who's 5 months pregnant :eek: :o

D D

Larissa Mar 28th 2006 6:52 am

Hiya Sandra
I had one for Mikey, my American friend organised it... I think it's an American thing. It's just a get together before mum drops, usually some munchies and wine, bring a toy/clothes for bubs or chocs etc. for mum... doesn't have to be anything extravagant. It's just a lovely way of seeing everyone before the big event, when she'll be holed up with the bub.
Take care
Larissa

jothefw Mar 28th 2006 9:08 am

how about nice peice of jewellery for mum - necklace thing would look good with most things and after baby it'll distract from the baby puke etc

how about nice story book for baby - never too early to start reading to them!

I'd take wine and packet of pretzels too! total cost £20 ish I'd say!

Bert'n'Stella Mar 28th 2006 9:13 am

I would get something for the mum, plus something for the baby when it is a bit older. She will get loads of things for 0-3mnths, but soon the bub will be 6-12mnths and a lot of expense then in buying new stuff. Also the seasons change, so when my sister was pregnant was able to get loads of things for 9-12mths winter clothes, so when the bub is that age and it is winter again, she will have some things to use.

S.

Larissa Mar 28th 2006 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Bert'n'Stella
I would get something for the mum, plus something for the baby when it is a bit older. She will get loads of things for 0-3mnths, but soon the bub will be 6-12mnths and a lot of expense then in buying new stuff. Also the seasons change, so when my sister was pregnant was able to get loads of things for 9-12mths winter clothes, so when the bub is that age and it is winter again, she will have some things to use.

S.

Good advice, bub hardly wore some of the gifts... now you just have to figure out the Aussie sizes Sandra!

HiddenPaw Mar 28th 2006 11:57 am

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
voucher for a manicure at her 'usual ' place :D
or a reflexology massage.....oh, arent they banned when you are pregnant? (or is that just eggs.... :D )

or.....get her some marigold gloves with fur trim...tell her they are for when she has to wash all the bottles.
or to really make her think about the hard work ahead, some arncia cream, nipple shields and earplugs :D :D :D

eeurgh! You've just reminded me of all the things I'm not looking forward to with new baby. :D

I agree with Sue and others about an indulgant treatment for mum. At the mo, I would love someone to pay for a pedicure/foot treatment for me. (I can't even see my toe nails, never mind reach them. ) And a little something for bub. Is it her first?

My friends have organised a baby shower for me on Sunday - no idea what to expect tho, never been to one before.

GinaUK Mar 28th 2006 1:59 pm

I wouldn't get wine for the mum-to-be: whilst she is pregnant she can't drink. And if she is breast-feeding once she's had it, she can't drink either.

I'd get her something else: whether it's a manicure or CDs or books or a magazine subscription - you know her, so you'll know what would appeal to her.

Gina