Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What didn't you like about your life in UK

Wikiposts

What didn't you like about your life in UK

Old Oct 26th 2006, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What didn't you like about your life in UK

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Blame badge he started the doomed comment Now were on cheap cliches and rent a quotes, good thing really we will need a few of them this thread is destined to become heated at some stage
Howabout all the old and jaded posters take leave this site alone for a bit, me included.

Seriously, there will always be people on to a good thing here and have any reason to state a few reasons for the move and why they wanted to move on.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

My work kept sending me to australia to work on projects.

So I thought 'ha ha, I'll mess them up and go and live in australia, and not work for them'

Sorta worked. My new company in QLD hasn't sent me to work in the UK once

JTL
Old Oct 27th 2006, 11:01 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't hate the UK, so most of the factors for the move to Aus were pull factors rather than push factors.

Having said that I didn't like the cost of dying (IHT) and having so much stuff stolen and damaged on a regular basis. Looked at moving to the outskirts of London but it was cheaper and better to move to the outskirts of Melbourne.

Old Oct 27th 2006, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

by the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Mercedes
Okay so you are up and moving to the other side of the world. What did you not like in the UK and what changes do you think will happen when you get to Oz. Or for those who are already there, what did you change about your life?
My husband couldn't stand people that lived on the council housing did'nt work but still had what he had drove him mad.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 11:33 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Okay so you are up and moving to the other side of the world. What did you not like in the UK and what changes do you think will happen when you get to Oz. Or for those who are already there, what did you change about your life?
There was really nothing specific to the UK that I did not like about the UK - and now I am here there is really nothing specific to Aus that I do not like here. The biggest changes to my life were getting married/having kids (but I believe people do that in the UK too) and being lucky enough to improve my lifestyle (but that was something I chose to do and could have done there as well).

Things I hate about both places:
high tax if you earn a decent amount
dole bludgers
stupid people
customer service provided by telcos
stupid people
stupid dole bludgers
stupid people who work for telcos on their customer service teams
thieving bastards
stupid thieving bastards
stupid dole bludging thieving bastards
stupid ........

Off for my medication now....

DagBoy
Old Oct 27th 2006, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by by the sea side
My husband couldn't stand people that lived on the council housing did'nt work but still had what he had drove him mad.

Didn't anyone tell him not to go on above mentioned council estate, then he wouldn't have envied the living daylights out of the none working people.

Of course I'm sure he'll find there are no people in Aus who don't work and have all the mod cons . But hopefully he can find something else really not worth bothering about to get stressed about, or maybe he can find a nice hobby to occupy his time
Old Oct 27th 2006, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

by the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Didn't anyone tell him not to go on above mentioned council estate, then he wouldn't have envied the living daylights out of the none working people.

Of course I'm sure he'll find there are no people in Aus who don't work and have all the mod cons . But hopefully he can find something else really not worth bothering about to get stressed about, or maybe he can find a nice hobby to occupy his time
You know nothing about my husbands background or life.He worked hard while others got everything.In Australia you are not given everything your expected to get off your backside and do it for your self.One of the biggest advantages of living here.So if your coming and you think it's going to be easy think again.Moving is hard enough moving to another country even harder,when you do it alone without support harder again.Sounds to me like your living in council housing and getting hot under the collar.
My husband doesn't suffer from envey he hates lazy gits that would rather sit on their backsides and take every benefit going.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

You know nothing about my husbands background or life.He worked hard while others got everything.In Australia you are not given everything your expected to get off your backside and do it for your self.One of the biggest advantages of living here.So if your coming and you think it's going to be easy think again.Moving is hard enough moving to another country even harder,when you do it alone without support harder again.Sounds to me like your living in council housing and getting hot under the collar.
My husband doesn't suffer from envey he hates lazy gits that would rather sit on their backsides and take every benefit going.
You'll also find alot of dole bludgers also in Australia.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 3:00 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Just as much of that goes on here, all do you walk about with your rose tinted blindfold on
Old Oct 27th 2006, 7:42 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Spent too much time at work and not with the family
Old Oct 27th 2006, 10:29 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

How strange that you deduced that from Australia_bound's post. I did not....thought they were having a tongue in cheek moment myself (something I fully encourage)!
Old Oct 27th 2006, 10:35 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Still in Old Blighty but not for much longer. I have a good life here and am optimistic that we will have a good life in Melbourne (have already sussed out some of my likely drinking partners).

I believe myself to have an open attitude and have a good career and a bit of cash behind me and am smart enough to realise that this is a softer cushion than some folks emigrating have....and I feel very fortunate for that.

I want to give Oz a try as I am sick of being stuck indoors with nothing to do and crap weather that can't be relied on. I love painting, reading and drinking wine and if I can do all these without catching pneumonia, I'm off!!
Old Oct 28th 2006, 12:07 am

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

calm down there - Australia_Bound wasnt being nasty, the way she wrote her post and her smilies show she was being lighthearted. Dont snap back unnecessarily - thats how stupid arguments happen.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 12:12 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

The weather.

So we moved here and "hey presto"....changed
Old Oct 28th 2006, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

What part of the west midlands are you from?

Melbourne can be cold in winter, but I used to ride there and I loved Spring and Autumn to ride, and also summer evenings. I don't like riding in Uk even though I grew up around horses, I can still remember my hands being blue in winter and my feet defrosting.

I personally like Melbourne, it was the only place I thought of home in Oz and even when I went interstate after splitting from my husband, I wanted to live in another state from him, I was more homesick for it than I ever was for UK. Had some great friends there. Certainly preferred it to Sydney.

Originally Posted by busterboy
Still in Old Blighty but not for much longer. I have a good life here and am optimistic that we will have a good life in Melbourne (have already sussed out some of my likely drinking partners).

I believe myself to have an open attitude and have a good career and a bit of cash behind me and am smart enough to realise that this is a softer cushion than some folks emigrating have....and I feel very fortunate for that.

I want to give Oz a try as I am sick of being stuck indoors with nothing to do and crap weather that can't be relied on. I love painting, reading and drinking wine and if I can do all these without catching pneumonia, I'm off!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.