Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

what did you do this weekend ?

what did you do this weekend ?

Old Oct 3rd 2010, 9:21 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what did you do this weekend ?

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
cool

is this always something you fancied doing mate?
No, not really. I only really started quilting when we moved to Australia. Two of my sisters do beautiful work and being competitive I thought that if they could do it I could do it better. Turns out I don't do it better, but do enjoy it. I've got one project I've been working on for over 4 years - there are over 1000 pieces in it ranging in size from 1 x 1 cm to 3 x 4 cm.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kelli28
Just been watching the nrl for the scenery and what nice scenery it is too.
Gee- forgot it was on...too busy trying to draw up a list of building supplies..

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Saturday and Sunday had beautiful weather! yay!

Sat morning worked, Sat arvo watched COLLINGWOOD thrash St Kilda, more yay! Collingwood are now called the flagpies and The Saints are called the Aints.

After the footy cut the grass at work (including the nature strips). Had dinner, got pissed.

Today went to Aldi - walked about in the sun! Cut the grass at home. Will sit outside and have dinner. Brill.

Next weekend is wedding anniversary, so off to Melbourne for a couple of days.
Collingwood was so far ahead, it made the loss easier to take. Funny old game - have not bothered to read any analysis.

The re-match delayed my office building as my off-sider was absent. So it was a quiet weekend for me too. Cut the grass - must do it every weekend without fail this time of year..

Stuck a new radio in my car which more or less equals the amount I paid for it..
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 9:39 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Watched the rain.
Originally Posted by DeadVim
What he said ...
What they said but also acted as a taxi service for a change and attempted not to get wet from said rain. Tank's full
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 10:20 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
No, not really. I only really started quilting when we moved to Australia. Two of my sisters do beautiful work and being competitive I thought that if they could do it I could do it better. Turns out I don't do it better, but do enjoy it. I've got one project I've been working on for over 4 years - there are over 1000 pieces in it ranging in size from 1 x 1 cm to 3 x 4 cm.

you must have loads of patience Are you going to look after the shop and give up our hospital job?

Good luck mate, I envy you taking the leap of faith and doing something you'll enjoy
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter

you must have loads of patience Are you going to look after the shop and give up our hospital job?

Good luck mate, I envy you taking the leap of faith and doing something you'll enjoy
It will be bigger than the Bayeux Tapestry by the time she's finished with it..bigger than Ben Hur..
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 10:39 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
It will be bigger than the Bayeux Tapestry by the time she's finished with it..bigger than Ben Hur..
a bloody great advert for a shop

I cant even darn a sock
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 11:12 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Gee- forgot it was on...
I wish I could tell you what happened, but I've no idea I just sat and drooled at the tv.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 1:14 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

No, king bed sized.

Sonly, I'm not sure if I'll even buy the shop yet. I have to get a look at the books and see what the accountant says then find a bank willing to lend me the $$. I'll probably take a year's leave of absence from work (if they'll let me) then decide whether I want to work full time at the shop or have someone else run it for me. To be 100% honest a quilt shop is not at the top of my list of businesses to own. I really want to open my bakery in a couple of years and I'm not sure I could do both. Decisions, decisions.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 4:02 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Friday night: Shampooed the downstairs carpet. Discovered that the sprayer on it doesn't work any more but having moved all the furniture and prepared everything I went ahead and used a watering can to wet the carpet and then quickly sucked the liquid up with the machine. The carpets are clean but it wasn't such a good idea with the watering can because the they're still damp. When the sprayer worked the carpet would be dry by morning .

Saturday got the house ship shape for two viewings. A waste of time really because the first lot were foul mouthed louts posing as professionals and the second were 95% certain to be landlord scammers . Siesta to soothe the disallusionment in the late afternoon and in the evening dragged eveything down from the loft to re-sort/declutter for the third time in prep for the container (there must be more stuff that we can reduce ).

Sunday: Dropped a load of stuff (including the carpet shampooer) off at the recycling centre and did the weekly shopping while wifey saved our souls . Then put another coat of preserving paint on the garden bench that we're taking with us. Early afternoon siesta with wifey cut short by friends arriving armed with Krispy Kreme doughnuts . Friends are now gone so it's back to the re-sorting/decluttering for us followed by returning the stuff that we're keeping to the loft. Later tonight, I need to fill out a state pension forecast application, and do some other paperwork and general adminy stuff.

Monday: Recover at work

Last edited by paulry; Oct 3rd 2010 at 4:05 pm.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

shirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud of

Friday afternoon took the kids to the local annual district fare for lots of overeating and funfare rides.My 15 year old thought he was a bigshot going on that ride that's in a big cylinder and the force pins you to the walls while the floor departs company from your feet.He PUKED poor lamb! OH away on business so had the remote to myself for a change while the kids played games on their computers aaaaaaah bliss.

Saturday up early to get the washing on before my friend arrived with my Godson who is nearly 2.Spent the next 5 hours entertaing him but he was good as gold so long as there was a hosepipe and water at his disposal.Tripped over a tree stump in the garden while running to avoid the water spray and busted my toe and gouged a gash in my leg,nothing a few plasters didn't cover.OH arrived home as me and kids left to go bak to the fare for more punishment.Brought him back a Thai green curry as a nice treat,something I will miss dearly in 57 sleeps time when we leave.

Sunday,spent the day emptying cupboards and clearing out stuff for our garage sale next month.We have been in the same house for 16 years so lots of crap has gathered and OH is a terrible hoarder.I am the opposite and tend to just chuck then regret 2 months later when I wished I'd kept something.Currently fighting with him about a set of hideous tables that belonged to his mother and he wants to keep.They have been in the garage for 4 years so God knows where he thinks they are going to fit in now!

Every weekend from now on will be spent cleaning and clearing OMG why do we need so much stuff
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 9:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Friday- did the swimming training run with DD. Shopping, got DD's hair cut. Tried to sort out the polaris, which only works for a few mins then falls over on its side. Got wet. Dyed my hair a sort of caramel colour to cover the crinkly grey ones that are sprouting wildly. Spent another 30 mins cleaning dye off the bathroom taps and walls...... Bed at 8:30 as very tired.

Saturday- day off from swimming! Did 4 loads of washing and ironing. Tried to fix the polaris. OH tries to fix polaris and dismantles it. Get wet. OH takes polaris to the pool shop. DD's friend comes over at 11:30 so I cook burgers for lunch and I have a sandwich instead. Pool people phone and say we can replace bits for $650 or get a new one for $1200. We decide on repair as we just don't have the money.

Sunday. Up at 5- or 6, so change all the clocks. OH picks up the polaris- $725 bill, as he also had to get a net which wasn't quoted for. He fixes it to the pool wall. I am running up and down the stairs turning things on and off in the poolhouse below. Get wet as it is raining. Pool is now getting clean again- hooray. Still too cold to go in though.Shopping- pick up loads of bargain meats and veggies- well we will have to cut back. Spend afternoon chopping up meat and veggies and freezing them. Have a bath whilst OH watches the grand final. Watch Ice Age 3 with DD, OH and a large glass of wine.

Monday (so far) Up at 6:30, if the rain eases up I'm going to try to get the seedlings into the garden and mulch it today.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 9:31 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shirlw
Brought him back a Thai green curry as a nice treat,something I will miss dearly in 57 sleeps time when we leave.
Why will you miss it? Fantastic Thai restaurants here. (Well, my 'here' anyway).
Old Oct 6th 2010, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

shirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Why will you miss it? Fantastic Thai restaurants here. (Well, my 'here' anyway).
You know what it's like when you have a favourite restaurant and nowhere else does it quite the same..........like a decent fish and chips shop.Well our Thai where we live is the biznus.We tried about 4 different Thai restaurants when we visited Australia last year and they were all waaaaaaaaaaay to heavy on the fish sauce.But,I have mastered a fairly decent one myself!
Old Dec 11th 2010, 12:02 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Today, I dug a hole. 12 inches deep and 7 feet in diameter. New water tank arrives Tuesday to catch all this lovely rain. That should mean that it won't then rain for 9 months.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 5:32 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Bejeezus where did you find this thread ??

Well this weekend...
I had an early dart from work on fri PM pick the kids up from school off out to sainsburys then back to the Rake for a couple of pints and a warm. Then home for chicken new yorker followed by the film Big Daddy with my boys on the sofa.

Good lie in this morning followed by soccer AM then we put some bets on the football (all lost !) then out for some smoke bombs to check the log burner out and all lit up now warming the house a treat

Tomorrow I shall actually be removing the stickers from the charity car the gym then a few pints watching the footy

Dougie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.