Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

what a crap place Perth is.

what a crap place Perth is.

Old Nov 28th 2007, 9:18 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: what a crap place Perth is.

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Don't know what happened with your quotes, but it should be right now
Thanks Polly, i thought i was losing the plot
Old Nov 28th 2007, 10:00 am
Banned

delicadog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypen20
The obesity and 17 year olds wrapping themselves round trees happens everywhere in the world I would imagine. I have to query the "best education system" comment though. I have never ever heard anyone say that. In fact from what I've heard on here (not been there for over 20 years) the one thing that those that love the place and those that hate it will agree on is that the education system there is not good.
No actually you cannot wrap your 17 year old self around a tree in the u.k., because insurance companies will not insure young drivers for high powered cars for obvious reasons ,and that is one of the reasons w.a. is backward because you are insured on your rego stickers ,meaning you could even have driving lessons in dads 3ookw hsv.So theres an example of how bloody stupid this place is.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 10:07 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by delicadog
No actually you cannot wrap your 17 year old self around a tree in the u.k., because insurance companies will not insure young drivers for high powered cars for obvious reasons ,and that is one of the reasons w.a. is backward because you are insured on your rego stickers ,meaning you could even have driving lessons in dads 3ookw hsv.So theres an example of how bloody stupid this place is.
17 yr olds don't have the ability to pay for high powered cars, driving lessons and insurance...

It's not the place that's stupid, it's the parents... There are plenty of stupid parents world wide... including the beloved UK!

And it's in your part of Australia... It's not the entire country. Where I live, many parents are intelligent and I don't know of any 17 yr olds who've wrapped themselves round anything lately here.

Just because you live in a shit place where hoon level is high and the education level is low doesn't mean we all do. It doesn't mean that the whole of Australia is like that either.

We attract our own kind. I guess that speaks volumes for where you choose to live and work.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Gordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really nice

Hi

Yesh I tend to agree wit you a bit about Perth being a bit dulsville. But I think the sandgropers like the isolation, and I can sort of see the attraction.
What you make of a place I suppose.

I think Perth is one of those places you either love or don't. I have been there for extended stays a couple of times, and personally (my own point of view), it's great for families, but for young / coupled, single, into creative arts, culture and being educated / alternative or using your mind is almost scorned upon I felt. You had the piss ripped out of you for 'trying' to create a civilised and educated conversation. Not saying there are not intelligent people in Perth at all, but it's simply not a place I would move to if single and wishing to overdose on arts and culture.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 5:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

I have been following this thread with some interest. I have never visited Australia so am unable to comment on the merits or otherwise of any particular place! I made the mistake of passing on the views of my parents about Melbourne & nearly got lynched in the process so I have learnt my lesson!
What seems to be the case with everywhere in Oz is that there is huge variety & diversity, & this is the case with all of us too! What suits one person does not suit another!
To the OP, if you are truly so dissatisfied with Perth, can you not think of trying elsewhere in Oz?
Also, you might be surprised about the large numbers of young kids nicking cars & wrapping them round trees in the UK! What happened to parental responsibility?
Standards of education are very variable in the UK too, proof today with the announcement that the reading ability of our children is now ranked 15th in the world, a drop from 3rd place in 5 years!
I am sorry that you are so unhappy with where you are & that you are able to find a satisfactory solution to your problem!
Old Nov 28th 2007, 5:48 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

,and that is one of the reasons w.a. is backward because you are insured on your rego stickers ,meaning you could even have driving lessons in dads 3ookw hsv.So theres an example of how bloody stupid this place is.

No your car or any other property is not insured from the insurance on your rego, only people.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 6:13 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Better to know the hoon thats driving crazy is at least insured for public liability at least than in the uk where the yob would most likely be driving a stolen car.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 10:24 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually having insurance is irrelevant with lots of 17 year olds. In the UK there is something called 'joy riding'. Many of these kids wrap themselves around trees - my 'hubby' has dug many a stupid kid out in the past. No problem with your beliefs but use some common sense.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Mark Boland managed it in a mini .... doesn't require a lot of power, just a big tree and there are shitloads of those around!
Basically, no place on earth, even if it was run by Carlsberg, will please all the people all the time, if you hate it so much then move to where the sand is greener, wind is less, kids smarter, police more polite, etc ... bet when you get to where ever that is there will still be a whole heap of things wrong.
Interesting to know what you 5 kids think of Perth..
Old Nov 29th 2007, 12:05 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrispy
Mark Boland managed it in a mini .... doesn't require a lot of power, just a big tree and there are shitloads of those around!
Basically, no place on earth, even if it was run by Carlsberg, will please all the people all the time, if you hate it so much then move to where the sand is greener, wind is less, kids smarter, police more polite, etc ... bet when you get to where ever that is there will still be a whole heap of things wrong.
Interesting to know what you 5 kids think of Perth..
The main problem with peoples attitude about the uk where they have been in another country for many years is that they are going from memory in regard to what its like in the uk now.

It would actually shock people to know that in similar fashion to where they live, the uk has changed much the same, perhaps even worse.

One cant truly believe that the uk they left years ago ceased to move into the 21st century.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 1:32 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

I think the OP has some valid points (not all though).

Yeah Perth can be boring and there isn't anywhere really to go or things to do, and yes the speed limits are crap when you are used to the UK. I don't think it would be much different anywhere else in Australia, would it?

But.... the weather isn't that bad (alot better than the UK), the people are mostly really friendly and easy-going. There are cultural events and things happening all the time (I've never heard of so many festivals before coming back here), and it is pretty good for families with kids.

Honestly, the only things I really think Perth needs are some attractions to go to... there just aren't enough... there's only so many times you can go to The Reptile Centre (near Kelmscott btw) or Kings Park. So yeah Perth is boring for places to go and have fun. Which is why there's such a huge beach culture.... surfing and boogie-boarding and snorkelling etc are really FUN.

At the end of the day you have to try harder to make your own fun here than in the UK, where people have a wealth of history and entertainment on their doorstep (and don't take advantage of it).

Anyone fancy buying a big European castle and re-building it here?
Old Nov 29th 2007, 1:43 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Stormz
I think the OP has some valid points (not all though).

Yeah Perth can be boring and there isn't anywhere really to go or things to do, and yes the speed limits are crap when you are used to the UK. I don't think it would be much different anywhere else in Australia, would it?

But.... the weather isn't that bad (alot better than the UK), the people are mostly really friendly and easy-going. There are cultural events and things happening all the time (I've never heard of so many festivals before coming back here), and it is pretty good for families with kids.

Honestly, the only things I really think Perth needs are some attractions to go to... there just aren't enough... there's only so many times you can go to The Reptile Centre (near Kelmscott btw) or Kings Park. So yeah Perth is boring for places to go and have fun. Which is why there's such a huge beach culture.... surfing and boogie-boarding and snorkelling etc are really FUN.

At the end of the day you have to try harder to make your own fun here than in the UK, where people have a wealth of history and entertainment on their doorstep (and don't take advantage of it).

Anyone fancy buying a big European castle and re-building it here?
Very well said. I agree completely. But i don't even like sitting on a beach, so living in Perth for me is so wrong. Hey, we all make mistakes
Old Nov 29th 2007, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Very well said. I agree completely. But i don't even like sitting on a beach, so living in Perth for me is so wrong. Hey, we all make mistakes
Perth isn't just about the beaches... i have been here 6 months and have only been to the beach twice, once in a gale force wind (which was fun), i don't rate beaches as high on my requirements (hence living in the Hills). It is not secret that Perth is isolated and that you need to drive long distances to see things, seems a strange location for someone to migrate to if they hate those things. I think we are spoilt for choice these days and as such if you there are things you don't like you think you made the wrong choice. I think the one thing you can't predict si the effect of isolation from friends and family, but as to what the city is like seems like a lame excuse... sorry but i think anyone who dislikes so much about Perth should make an effort to leave unless there family has different opinions in which case it would be difficult. I think people who complain about a lack of culture here are not looking hard enough, you will always be able to find like minded people to share your interests.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 2:08 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

You assume I emigrated here. I was born here.

I didn't say there was a lack of culture here. Learn to read. I said there is culture here (ie art etc and lots of festivals) so I was disagreeing with the OP on that one.

When you compare Perth to England. Perth is alot more boring. That's just a fact. You REALLY have to wrack your brains for places to go/things to see over here.

If you compare Perth to Alice Springs or some town in the south of France, then Perth is like Las Vegas.

So, bearing in mind the fact that there is ALOT less to do in Perth than other cities around the world (and we're not talking meeting up with friends for a drink or bbq), why don't we be constructive and try to start a thread of things you CAN do in WA.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 2:14 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by chrispy
Perth isn't just about the beaches... i have been here 6 months and have only been to the beach twice, once in a gale force wind (which was fun), i don't rate beaches as high on my requirements (hence living in the Hills). It is not secret that Perth is isolated and that you need to drive long distances to see things, seems a strange location for someone to migrate to if they hate those things. I think we are spoilt for choice these days and as such if you there are things you don't like you think you made the wrong choice. I think the one thing you can't predict si the effect of isolation from friends and family, but as to what the city is like seems like a lame excuse... sorry but i think anyone who dislikes so much about Perth should make an effort to leave unless there family has different opinions in which case it would be difficult. I think people who complain about a lack of culture here are not looking hard enough, you will always be able to find like minded people to share your interests.
You cannot judge someone's predicament entirely on what they say on BE. How they got here, or when they leave, is another matter to understand. Those that do understand, will know that Perth is not to blame, but what an
individual enjoys more.
We have family here who loved it at the time and yes we fell for the hype. They are now leaving for Brisbane next year, we are heading back to UK. I never came for the beaches, but was under the illusion there were many things to do here. If you love it here, then good for you. Doesn't mean i'm a bad person just cause i want to go home. It's what i prefer!
All in all it's been a good experience and glad we came. I enjoy what i have now, but i know i can have better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.