Wikiposts

What Car?

Old Jun 19th 2006, 5:53 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What Car?

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
Has anyone else found a distinct lack of dielsel cars here in Oz. I have been looking at new motors of late and after good reports from the old man on his new diesel Focus I set off to the Ford garage to have a chat to be told they dont do that model. Anybody know any reasons why this may be?
Do a search - there've been a few threads on this.

Buzzy
Old Jun 19th 2006, 9:00 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Car?

Originally Posted by hevs
We are skint due to hubbys brain cyst and not being able to work for the next 6 to 12 months. The car is only 2 years old and its just sat there depreciating. Sad, but ever practical, its got to go

Its a great car but we just have to much capital tied up in it to continue renovating with only a part time income. Yes we tow my Mums camper trailer with it no hassel and off road it handles stuff fairly well. We saw heaps of them on Fraser island.
Sorry to hear about husbands condition. You are doing the right thing. Always time to treat yourselves in the future.

We may go for a landcruiser because we need a heavy chassis - expected towing weight will be 3 to 3.5 tonne. MIL always comes with loads of luggage

Where "outside of Melbourne" are you?

Kiwi
Old Jun 19th 2006, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Jaguar X-Type Diesel SE here, sadly not available in Oz, but I have already decided I am going to get a 7 seater there, hence my research done in this thread -

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376751

Buzzy
FYI - Subaru have a new 7 seater coming out in Oct/November - the B9 Tribeca which you can view on the u.s. site www.subaru.com.
Old Jun 20th 2006, 9:18 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
Where "outside of Melbourne" are you?

Kiwi
I have pm'ed you. We don't want the riff raff moving in
Old Jun 20th 2006, 9:23 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: What Car?

Originally Posted by hevs
We don't want the riff raff moving in
Like me!

Buzzy
Old Jun 20th 2006, 9:29 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Like me!

Buzzy
Old Jun 21st 2006, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
Has anyone else found a distinct lack of dielsel cars here in Oz. I have been looking at new motors of late and after good reports from the old man on his new diesel Focus I set off to the Ford garage to have a chat to be told they dont do that model. Anybody know any reasons why this may be?
Yep, for quite a few decades the motoring writers and motoring organisations have generally damned them with faint praise.

Also the horrendous duties that are payable for good European diesel cars are another factor.

Also the trade aren't that bright either.

When I returned from New Guinea in 1979 where I had a Datsun diesel sedan as my office car, I trotted straight into Datsun (now Nissan) and asked about Datsun diesel cars here only to be told that they didn't exist!

I pointed that Hong Kong has had them for years now and it was only a week ago that I was driving one in New Guinea.

Then came his next tack. "We couldn't sell them, Mate"

This was early in 1979 and there were great petrol shortages due to various causes. So I pointed out the window to a queue at a petrol station across the road and mentioned something to the effect that if he had a floor full Diesel cars he would have been able to move them several times over.

So I went out and bought a VW Golf Diesel and kept it for 10 years and ran up 350K km.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 2:48 am
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

Hmm so most people seemingly have gone for better cars in Oz than in UK. Are they really that much cheaper that this is possible? I have been looking at new car prices and they don't seem to be that much different once they whack on the 52 varieties of tax, stamp duty, delivery etc.

I had a Peugeot 206 which I have sold already in anticpation of the big move. Looking at getting a Hyundai Getz when I get to Oz or maybe a Holden Astra if the budget will stretch that far. Would love one of the sexy new Corsas that are shortly coming out in the UK but the equivalent Oz Barina is nowhere near in the same league as it looks-wise. A lot of Oz versions of worldwide cars seem to look a bit 80s to me. Anyone agree?
Old Jun 21st 2006, 5:45 am
Victorian Evangelist

Smile Re: What Car?

Originally Posted by sparkley23
Hmm so most people seemingly have gone for better cars in Oz than in UK.
I am going for a completely different type of car. Probably going to buy brand new or ex-demo as I tend to keep cars a long time, like 5 years plus, so I dont mind spending a bit more money vs having not quite the right car for years.

The depreciation over the time I keep cars means I dont lose out too much on buying new.

Buzzy
Old Jun 21st 2006, 6:16 am
tin
Brisbane bound

tin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of light

UK - Ford Focus
Oz - Have put name down for a new Honda Civic

Can't believe how much second hand cars cost in Oz so thought it was worth buying new for once . Although being the silly tree huggers we are, we are having second thoughts because of Japans whaling exploits

Martyn
Old Jun 21st 2006, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Louise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond repute

Me Ford Cougar
OH Ford focus estate

Oh how I shall miss my baby. Absolutely fantastic car. Will never buy a new car again though. Lost a sh*t load of money on it.

Would like a little soft top maybe an MR2 when I get over there....eventually! Does anyone know if they have the new shape?
Lou
Old Jun 21st 2006, 9:14 pm
There is no "U" in Qantas

MisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really nice

Originally Posted by Louise M
Would like a little soft top maybe an MR2 when I get over there....eventually! Does anyone know if they have the new shape?
Lou
You won't be able to get an MR2 Roadster new. There are a few about, here is a link to Carsales.com.au with a few on there: http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsa...w=&engine_high=

There are not many soft tops on the roads here as it gets too hot in the summer. The most popular ones are the Mazda MX5 and the Holden Astra Convertibe, which we hired last year for a few weeks and is excellent - full size boot and four seats so still practical!