Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What benefits do you get in Australia?

What benefits do you get in Australia?

Old Apr 7th 2009, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

EverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really nice
Default What benefits do you get in Australia?

Hi,

I'm sure most people are aware of the benefits system we have in the UK. Well I'm not strictly asking about handouts but what equivalent if anything is there for say Tax Credits and Child Benefit? I am in the process of getting a spouse visa but as we have two small children my husband will be the only one in work for a little while? Do you get anything extra to help you out like here or not? What other benefits if any do stay at home mum's get?

Thanks if you can help.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What benefits do you get in Australia?

What visa you have makes a difference ...
Old Apr 7th 2009, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

EverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really nice

Well my husband is an Australian Citizen and I am British as are the children. I am applying for a spouse visa ( I don't know it by any other name ).
Old Apr 7th 2009, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

We are in a very similar situation - my wife is now a stay at home mum on a spouse visa (Class 100 - which you will probably get as you have kids assuming you are married and not defacto).

We get: Family Tax benefit B, Child Care rebate and some sort of Child Care allowance, which reduces our daily child care fees.

You will get Medicare and hence free medical services (assuming you use a bulk-billing GP).

Depending on your household salary, you may also get Family Tax benefit A.

As for other benefits like unemployment, disability etc I think you'll have to wait for two years after arrival before you are eligible. Your husband will be entitled to them straight away as he is a citizen.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

Hi James516. We are married and have been for almost 8 years.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by James516
We are in a very similar situation - my wife is now a stay at home mum on a spouse visa (Class 100 - which you will probably get as you have kids assuming you are married and not defacto).

We get: Family Tax benefit B, Child Care rebate and some sort of Child Care allowance, which reduces our daily child care fees.

You will get Medicare and hence free medical services (assuming you use a bulk-billing GP).

As for other benefits like unemployment, disability etc I think you'll have to wait for two years after arrival before you are eligible. Your husband will be entitled to them straight away as he is a citizen.
James516, is it okay to ask how much exactly these benefits are paid at please?
Old Apr 7th 2009, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by EverydaySunshine
Hi James516. We are married and have been for almost 8 years.
I don't think we are, I'm sure I would have noticed.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

I don't think we are, I'm sure I would have noticed.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

James516, is it okay to ask how much exactly these benefits are paid at please?
I think all of them depend on your household income. Check out the ATO website or Centrelink.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

I think all of them depend on your household income. Check out the ATO website or Centrelink.
I haven't heard of either but will look on Google. Thank you anyway.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

hoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant future

I haven't heard of either but will look on Google. Thank you anyway.

This link might help

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...g_payments.htm
Old Apr 8th 2009, 2:53 am
ABCDiamond

Family Tax Benefit (FTB) Part A
Family Tax Benefit (FTB) Part A is payable to families who's income is below a certain threshold.

The maximum payment is made to families who's income is $42,559 or less, in the 2008/2009 income tax year. Any income above that figure will reduce the FTB payment.
FTB part A stops totally when a family, with one child under 17, earns $100,801 or more.

Family Tax Benefit (FTB) Part B
Family Tax Benefit (FTB) Part B will be limited to families where the primary earner has an adjusted taxable income of $150,000 or less, and the lower income earner is on less than $22,302 before they lose all entitlement if they have a child under five (or $17,356 if the youngest child is aged five to 18). (Rates for 2008/2009)
Example Family Tax Benefits March 2008
Family with one child under 5,
Single gross income of $50,000 per year:
Possible Family Assistance of $203.84 per fortnight or $5,299.84 per year.

This is made up of:
Family Tax Benefit Part A $78.82 per fortnight.
Family Tax Benefit Part B $125.02 per fortnight.

Old Apr 8th 2009, 12:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a few more common one's that may not apply to you at the moment:

- The famous baby bonus for any new arrivals - maybe $5000 at the moment.
- Immunisation payment if you follow the govt recommended immunisation schedule for baby - paid at 18mths I think.
- On spousal visa your children will immediately qualify for government schooling
- Rent assistance (low income)
- Health Care Card (low income)
- Education Tax Refund - up to $375/pa for primary school child, $750/pa for high school child if you get FTB A (Tax rebate for home computers/laptops/text books/internet connection fees/software etc)

Last edited by fish.01; Apr 8th 2009 at 12:10 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 12:14 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

yikes !! seems like there is the same amount of 'free money' available in Oz as there is in England!!

Wont be long before the authorities get bled dry down under also at this rate

Dougie
Old Apr 8th 2009, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DOUGIE AN LOUISE

yikes !! seems like there is the same amount of 'free money' available in Oz as there is in England!!

Wont be long before the authorities get bled dry down under also at this rate

Dougie
Yeah, the last conservative Australian government dramatically increased the percentage of Australians receiving a government handout - reaches a lot higher into the middle income earners now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.