Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What benefits do you get in Australia?

What benefits do you get in Australia?

Old Apr 8th 2009, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

EverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really nice
Default Re: What benefits do you get in Australia?

Thanks everyone for your input. It's reassuring to know that we may get some help instead of nothing at all. We are not looking for handouts at all just a little assistance while OH will be the only one working.

Cheers.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 1:04 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by fish.01
Here's a few more common one's that may not apply to you at the moment:

- The famous baby bonus for any new arrivals - maybe $5000 at the moment.
- Immunisation payment if you follow the govt recommended immunisation schedule for baby - paid at 18mths I think.
Some changes to the above payments...

Baby Bonus
is now only to be paid fortnightly, in 13 payments of about $384 per fortnight

Immunisation payment:
this is now payable in two payments, the first at about 18 to 24 months of age and the second at about 4 to 5 years of age. Each payment currently $122.75

Old Apr 9th 2009, 12:51 pm
Tired but Happy

poshrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud of

All well and good saying they are giving away loads of money I have been in AUs on a 457 visa for 3 years hubby works i do casual work once a fortnight and we have a 5 year old son. Because we are only temporary residents i don't get any assistance(even though hubby is taxed as an aussie resident) and as we live in NSW we would also have to pay $4500 to send my son to public school hence he attends local catholic school for $145 a month. I don't expect handouts from the government but what does get my goat is that i had to relinquish my child benefit payments from the UK as i am no longer a UK resident but can't claim in aus as i am not classed as a resident here either so am in no-mans land. I also think Kevin Ruds latest stimulus payment is a swizz i did my tax return last year but as i received all my tax back i am not entitled to the payment which is supposed to help low income earners explain that one.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 12:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poshrice
All well and good saying they are giving away loads of money I have been in AUs on a 457 visa for 3 years hubby works i do casual work once a fortnight and we have a 5 year old son. Because we are only temporary residents i don't get any assistance(even though hubby is taxed as an aussie resident) and as we live in NSW we would also have to pay $4500 to send my son to public school hence he attends local catholic school for $145 a month. I don't expect handouts from the government but what does get my goat is that i had to relinquish my child benefit payments from the UK as i am no longer a UK resident but can't claim in aus as i am not classed as a resident here either so am in no-mans land. I also think Kevin Ruds latest stimulus payment is a swizz i did my tax return last year but as i received all my tax back i am not entitled to the payment which is supposed to help low income earners explain that one.
We were all answering the OP's question as she is emigrating to Australia on a spousal Visa. Obviously visitors to the country don't get the same....just like vice versa.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 3:14 am
Tired but Happy

poshrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fish.01
We were all answering the OP's question as she is emigrating to Australia on a spousal Visa. Obviously visitors to the country don't get the same....just like vice versa.
ok if i am a visitior why do we get taxed as a resident but don't get the same rights stinks if you ask me quite happy to take money off us but not offer any assistance in return. We don't get lafha either as we sold everything to start our new life here and we are in processs of obtaining our pr but we will still have to wait a further 2 years before we are entitled to anything. My mum works for birmingham city council in the benefits dept and the amount of claims she processes for immigrants is unreal and yes i do class myself as an immigrant before anyone accuses me of being derogatory. as i said before i do not expect handouts but some assistance would be nice.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 4:03 am
ABCDiamond

ok if i am a visitior why do we get taxed as a resident
Non residents pay higher tax...

Old Apr 10th 2009, 4:14 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

ok if i am a visitior why do we get taxed as a resident but don't get the same rights stinks if you ask me quite happy to take money off us but not offer any assistance in return. We don't get lafha either as we sold everything to start our new life here and we are in processs of obtaining our pr but we will still have to wait a further 2 years before we are entitled to anything. My mum works for birmingham city council in the benefits dept and the amount of claims she processes for immigrants is unreal and yes i do class myself as an immigrant before anyone accuses me of being derogatory. as i said before i do not expect handouts but some assistance would be nice.
You are not a PR or citizen of Australia so do not qualify for the same benefits.

Simple solution is to become a PR.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

We never got any hand outs at all whilst our children grew up as they dramatically reduced the amount to be earned, although my bosses managed to get it.

I am opposed to all these hand outs as I managed to bring up my children with none and cannot see why others cannot. Work hard that is the answer.

Baby bonus is a farce who needs more people not this world.

The more the gov gives the more people expect, the only people who should receive hand outs at the oap who made this country what it is today.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 10:56 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

The sun shines a lot. That's a benefit in my book.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

as i said before i do not expect handouts but some assistance would be nice.
Surely 'handouts' and 'some assistance' are one and the same?

They're both freebies paid for by the Australian taxpayer.

Why is a 'handout' not acceptable but 'assistance' is expected?
Old Apr 10th 2009, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
The sun shines a lot. That's a benefit in my book.
35c on Good Friday, the sea is warm pool cool and the barbie smells great.
Thats the benefit you get here maybe not financial but its free

John
Old Apr 10th 2009, 11:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
35c on Good Friday, the sea is warm pool cool and the barbie smells great.
Thats the benefit you get here maybe not financial but its free

John
Only about 20c here but the sun was shining most of the time.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

JAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to all

Originally Posted by EverydaySunshine
Hi,

I'm sure most people are aware of the benefits system we have in the UK. Well I'm not strictly asking about handouts but what equivalent if anything is there for say Tax Credits and Child Benefit? I am in the process of getting a spouse visa but as we have two small children my husband will be the only one in work for a little while? Do you get anything extra to help you out like here or not? What other benefits if any do stay at home mum's get?

Thanks if you can help.
Are you a scouser?
Old Apr 10th 2009, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

EverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAMMIE DODGER
Are you a scouser?
what's a scouser? and why the horrified smilie?
Old Apr 10th 2009, 3:45 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
Surely 'handouts' and 'some assistance' are one and the same?

They're both freebies paid for by the Australian taxpayer.

Why is a 'handout' not acceptable but 'assistance' is expected?
shes been here three years and i expect paying taxes like everyone else, even more if shes a temp
maybe she should expect a handout if things are tough?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.