Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What Aussie food would you miss if you moved back to the UK?

Wikiposts

What Aussie food would you miss if you moved back to the UK?

Old Feb 6th 2011, 7:16 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Aussie food would you miss if you moved back to the UK?

Salad rolls from Vietnamese bread shops.

Specifically bacon n egg salad rolls from N Tran or Kennys here in Melbourne.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 7:18 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

..and I'd miss Oporto too, although I think they have a couple of random outlets in the UK.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 7:18 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Half the pubs in the UK are Wetherspoons now and they are most definitely not 'heaps better'!
A ratio of about 1 in 20 in my experience. The pubs I frequented/lived in had been around hundreds of years, served a miriade of interesting beers and wines in proper sized glasses. Not a plastic table in sight - instead a historically significant, aesthetically pleasing meeting place . Uk pubs rule (especially london)... It's a no brainer

Last edited by Turban Explorer; Feb 6th 2011 at 7:20 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 7:27 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

We have had one 'food' that one of our visitors took to so much that they have insisted we send them a 'food parcel' of it.

That food is..... chicken salt !!
Old Feb 6th 2011, 7:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

When I went back I missed everything! and I wasn't impressed with any of the stuff I thought I missed from the UK either. All tasted like crap...except for my MIL's home cooked roast dinner that is Even the curry was bad...and I was in Bradford

As for the pubs, I agree with Amazulu. They're all witherspoons and the likes - totally soulless and lacking any real atmosphere. All the nice pubs are mostly shut down. Out of all the publicans I know (my MIL was in the business), only 2 of them still have a pub and they are struggling to stay open with the 'plastic' pubs putting them out of business.

Mostly I missed the wine though! couldn't get a decent Aussie wine anywhere
Old Feb 6th 2011, 7:32 pm
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Agreed and I can't think of any UK food that would help the process
Yeah me too
Old Feb 6th 2011, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

we are in UK and I miss the amazing and affordable (and child friendly) restaurants of Melbourne.
Most delicious Thai and Vietnamese food- have not found a great one here in South London yet, but we continue to look.

And decent fish from a dedicated fish shop. Mr P also misses decent butchers and the meat they sell which is far better than Tesco/Asda/Sainsbury's stuff. Butchers seem to have disappeared altogether.

Ohhh- and a lovely pasta/Italian supply shop on Miller's Road, Altona North. The most delicious home made gnocchi ever and yummy sauces to 'cook' at home!
Old Feb 6th 2011, 8:58 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I am in Australia for another 19 sleeps and I know for sure I will miss the prawns here.

I went to a trendy wine bar/bistro with my sister and her hubby a few years back on the Wirral and I ordered an Atlantic prawn and avocado sandwich with Marie Rose sauce (why do they call it that?? )

I swear the "Atlantic prawns" were like weeeeeee baby shrimps LOL, I even took a photo of the sandwich to confirm I wasn't imagining that prawns could be so wee and so colourless LOL!! .
Old Feb 6th 2011, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Tasmanian Salmon, fresh veggies generally, everything in our veggie garden specifically and Cherry Ripes

And cheap cask wine, is that a food group?
My tastes are portable, like your casks!

So in the same way I don't miss UK food, I wouldn't miss Australian food other than Parmies.

Examples are probably more around experiences, so maybe the local Vietnamese restaurant or big f**k off steaks from QLD.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 9:30 pm
your fair weather friend!

unfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Scubaemma
My Mum came out for a few weeks over Christmas () bringing with her a bag of English chocolate for me (mmmmm). While she was here she tried and loved Vegemite Cheeseybite (or whatever it's called) and also those Grain Waves sweet chilli wholegrain crisp things. I've had to post her a parcel of the stuff already

It made me wonder what I'd miss if I ever moved back to England.
What food would you miss?
cheezels/twisties
kraft peanut butter
tomatoes with flavour
ready made salad mix that you pick yourself

er that's it I think
Old Feb 6th 2011, 9:32 pm
your fair weather friend!

unfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wendy
When I went back I missed everything! and I wasn't impressed with any of the stuff I thought I missed from the UK either. All tasted like crap...except for my MIL's home cooked roast dinner that is Even the curry was bad...and I was in Bradford

As for the pubs, I agree with Amazulu. They're all witherspoons and the likes - totally soulless and lacking any real atmosphere. All the nice pubs are mostly shut down. Out of all the publicans I know (my MIL was in the business), only 2 of them still have a pub and they are struggling to stay open with the 'plastic' pubs putting them out of business.

Mostly I missed the wine though! couldn't get a decent Aussie wine anywhere
oh good grief, your transition is complete..
Old Feb 6th 2011, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Oz meat in general.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 9:36 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

I might miss the illuminous fanta you get here - reminds me of my childhood. With regard to down under white wine I certainly won't miss that, especially when the gateway to French chablis, sancerre and pouilly fume is triumphantly restored! Aussie whites are to oenology what 'tramp' is/was to the perfume business.

Last edited by Turban Explorer; Feb 6th 2011 at 9:39 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 10:01 pm
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold

Well I've got loads! Beer battered chips, chicken chips, Grainwaves (although they're from NZ), raisin toast, all fruit & veg, scotch fillet, thai red curry cup-a-soups, Macca's chocolate sundaes, meat pies, coffee, Noodle Box, the sushi, I could go on forever. I would be glad to say goodbye to the snags though.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 10:03 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peepster
Well I've got loads! Beer battered chips, chicken chips, Grainwaves (although they're from NZ), raisin toast, all fruit & veg, scotch fillet, thai red curry cup-a-soups, Macca's chocolate sundaes, meat pies, coffee, Noodle Box, the sushi, I could go on forever. I would be glad to say goodbye to the snags though.
I'd agree with those, especially coffee but I have no idea if they have that stuff in the UK now. They can't still be drinking Starbucks and thinking it the dogs bollox can they?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.