Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What am I doing in Brisbane?

What am I doing in Brisbane?

Old Apr 18th 2009, 7:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What am I doing in Brisbane?

Originally Posted by Ryem78
I completely agree with Dave99 - give it at least 2 years before you throw in the towel...it least then you'll never look back and regret not giving it a good go!
Five and a half years and it still ain't home, but I'm hanging in there.......

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
The common thread seems to read:

Come to Australia to live, find somewhere to buy British gravy AND hang around with other Brits............................................. ............
Naaa, hang around with people with whom you feel you have things in comon. For many of us ths means moatly (though not exclusively) Brits, but surely whatever country you end up in you should be making friends based on who the people are, not where they are from

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Give yourself a chance!
It is very hard when you first arrive, not knowing anyone or where anywhere is!
Use the expats network & go to the meets! I know they are a dodgy lot in Brisssy but I'm sure they will help you through
Dodgy as they come, specially me and that Bernie guy, but we'll share a beer with anyone - even you if you ever get down this way
Old Apr 18th 2009, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

Location: Back in Scotland after two dreadful years in Brisbane.
maka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by surfbum99
hI,

Many thanks for all you advice, I'll take it one week at a time and see how it goes.

Alistair
If it makes you feel any better,we felt the same way when we arrived and in my experience that feeling never left us.

We listened to the people who said give it a go and we did for two years,but in the end we couldn't stick it any more.
Were back home now and hand on heart it was the best decision we ever made.

When your "settled" one saturday or friday night you'll be in the house(Cause it's pitch black outside) watching shockingly bad TV,some bogan kiwi next door will be revving his 20 year old car,and you'll dream of sitting watching ant and dec with a good indian and a tasty British beer,with the sun setting outside at around nine pm.
I say give it six months if it changes then fine ,if it doesn't then get back to good old blighty as soon as possible.

Good luck with whatever you do.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

Dodgy as they come, specially me and that Bernie guy, but we'll share a beer with anyone - even you if you ever get down this way

I also hear The Bloke is ok, even for an Aussie!

Btw, I don't share my beer with anyone!
Old Apr 18th 2009, 8:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I also hear The Bloke is ok, even for an Aussie!
Ahhh, rumour has reached Cairns...not carried by a big cat was it?
Btw, I don't share my beer with anyone!

Maybe we could push the boat out and have a beer each!
Old Apr 18th 2009, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

bithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nice

[QUOTE=Pollyana;7490268]Five and a half years and it still ain't home, but I'm hanging in there.......

22 years for me and likewise still not home.......but suits at the moment with current world economic climate........
Old Apr 18th 2009, 9:54 am
Just Joined

leekylou is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Alistair,

We arrived in Brisbane last week, from the UK, with my wife and 1 child. Got the skilled visas, childcare benefit, Queensland driving licence, job, somewhere to live.

Trouble is after a week, I still keep thinking of the UK and I miss London all with its faults.

Aussies are friendly yet hard to get to know. Whether is great, thats one thing. Just seems to be missing something.

After spending well I dont know what I've spent, all in, must £15K to get here, I somethings think what the hell have I done.

Is it silly to just go back now, or hang in for a bit....who knows.

Alistair.

Hi Alistair,

We have been here just over 3 weeks ( me and husband) and understand exactly what you are feeling. However, a week is just not long enough to make any decisions like that. It would be so easy to panic and go home, but you will regret that, I am sure of it.

We are fortunate that we are both working already. However it is still lonely at times (lots of times).

It is hard to meet people, even though we are working, everyone else has their lives and by working this does not mean you will make new best friends, but it will help.

If you fancy neeting up at some point, that would be great we can share stories of home. Please feel free to PM me.

Lisa
Old Apr 18th 2009, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

Hi,

I've arrived in Brisbane last week, from the UK, with my wife and 1 child. Got the skilled visas, childcare benefit, Queensland driving licence, job, somewhere to live.

Trouble is after a week, I still keep thinking of the UK and I miss London all with its faults.

Aussies are friendly yet hard to get to know. Whether is great, thats one thing. Just seems to be missing something.

After spending well I dont know what I've spent, all in, must £15K to get here, I somethings think what the hell have I done.

Is it silly to just go back now, or hang in for a bit....who knows.

Alistair.

OMG!!!! ..one week in? you have to give twelve months, i've had colds for longer!
Old Apr 18th 2009, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

EverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really nice

Originally Posted by TakenThePlunge

Sod that, i'm going to find the South Africans, even the odd Zimbo will do
Ha ha that's funny. We are hoping for the same when we get over...later this year. We have never settled in the UK and miss the sunshine mostly but also not forgetting the social interation with South Africans and Zimbo's.........
Old Apr 18th 2009, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

THE TURNER CLAN is a jewel in the roughTHE TURNER CLAN is a jewel in the roughTHE TURNER CLAN is a jewel in the roughTHE TURNER CLAN is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Chris Ball
Hi

I would say give it a little longer than a week, but at the same time you have got to be happy, you will have ups and downs we have had many and have not been here long ourselves, myself and OH and our 2 children have been in OZ since middle of October 08 and brought a house in Gold Coast (yes i know it was kind of quick and we rushed into it, would not recommend doing it that way) straight away and moved in middle of December 08 and we were very lucky enough to get our container before Christmas. Christmas to me was a complete right off as we were still unpacking and sorting the house out and there was no build up to it ,for me anyway and it passed me by.

My OH has only just got a job in the last 3 weeks in Brisbane, not were he would choose to work but very few jobs about at the moment, i must say before that we were starting to worry that he would even get one and we were thinking about going back to UK so he was lucky. So while he was not working and in between getting a job we managed to do the house up, painting and decorating and out in the garden. So it really feels like ours! BUT the only trouble is i am really starting to feel that this is not what i want anymore, i am not emotionally upset like crying constantly but i just have this feeling in the pit of my stomach that it is maybe not what me or my partner wants or what we thought it might be. I have made a few friends and i have been trying to get out when i can, i do miss my friends and family much more than i thought i would and my life in the UK to be honest was good we just wanted to have a change in life as you only get one.

But i also have another issue, my daughter is 4 and she missed out on going to school because of when her birthday falls and i know i should not compare but in the UK she would be in full time education and she needs to be in education, she wants to learn and yesterday her comment to me was, mummy when is my birthday so i can go to prep!!!! The thing is please let me know if i am wrong, but i believe prep to be more of play still rather than learning as prep is still not compulsory here and my son in year 1 is now only learning Jolly Phonics. My point is if we decide to stay here longer to give it a go and then think its not for us, my daughter will be behind at school in the UK and this bothers me, has anyone else had this problem or do you not think it would be a problem! would love to know as to me my childrens education is very important and i want to give them the best possible start in life.

We cant decide wether to sell the house and go back to UK and hopefully with house prices low still get on the property market again and the exchange rate at the moment is in our favour (of course this might change), or give it till end of the year, but i am not sure my feelings will change.

Any kind advice please or anyone in a similar situation
Thanks Nic
Hi Nic

I have had the same concerns as you about the schools, when we arrived my eldest son had already started school in the uk so he found it hard not going to school here straight away. Yes to my mind also prep is more focused on play and I was very concerned that my son wasn't learning enough, but I have to admit now he is in grade one he's coming on in leeps and bounds and his teacher is fantastic. My youngest son is also 4 and I know he is ready for school but he goes to a really good day care center and I have found alot of what he does there is very structured and and has similarites to nursery school in the uk, he even has tennis and computer lessons!

We have been here for almost two years and I'm still not sure how I feel about being here, yes its a beautiful place and there's loads to do, but for me I'm not sure I can permanently cope with being away from my family. When we decided to make the move we told ourselves it would be a great experience for all of us and we would give it two years.
We are not rushing into anything and we know that we are ready for a trip back to see everyone and to see how we feel overall, then we will make the desicion of moving back or staying.
Lisa
Old Apr 19th 2009, 9:30 am
Just Joined

pontings gone has a brilliant futurepontings gone has a brilliant futurepontings gone has a brilliant futurepontings gone has a brilliant futurepontings gone has a brilliant futurepontings gone has a brilliant futurepontings gone has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by maka paka
If it makes you feel any better,we felt the same way when we arrived and in my experience that feeling never left us.

We listened to the people who said give it a go and we did for two years,but in the end we couldn't stick it any more.

When your "settled" one saturday or friday night you'll be in the house(Cause it's pitch black outside) watching shockingly bad TV,some bogan kiwi next door will be revving his 20 year old car,and you'll dream of sitting watching ant and dec with a good indian and a tasty British beer,with the sun setting outside at around nine pm.
I say give it six months if it changes then fine ,if it doesn't then get back to good old blighty as soon as possible.

I agree with this guy. You pretty much know whether it'as right for you. Give it longer than a week but if you aren't happy best just go back. It's braver to say 'I'm going it' s not for me' than delaying the invitable which costs a lot more it time and money.

Stick around for a month maybe.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

scamp1976 is on a distinguished road

A recession might not be the best time to gauge , either.
You are coming from 'golden age' UK, where you were nannied with free money and the equity fairy gave you more money than you could earn per year working.
Now ofcourse this illiusionary money has to be paid off, and while you think it might have to do with Australia, it basically will happen everywhere in the world : Everyone will have to start working again, instead of getting free money every year. The times that your house value would increase at double the pace of your work income are over, now it's the opposite.

That said : Whoever gives up after a week should probably go back to the UK. It's like giving up after landing in Australia. "Man.. what a flight... I hate this place already, been here 1 minute.. more than enough time to figure out I don't like this place... I want to go back to mommie..."
Old Apr 19th 2009, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

scottish_stu will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by wildmark
OMG!!!! ..one week in? you have to give twelve months, i've had colds for longer!

very true
Old Apr 20th 2009, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

dubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nice

Hi Alistair,

Quite common feelings your having, some admit them some dont't incase they feel a bit of a failure

I had and still do have the what have we done!! every now and again, but we have lasted 5 years in New Zealand and don't think I have anything to go back for, crowded roads? the joneses? chavs, job losses etc etc, I here from our families every week in the UK and they think its the best move we coud have made..

Give your self time lol, least you got off the plane in Oz its bloody freezing over here
Old Apr 20th 2009, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by maka paka

Jeez, the day I dream of Ant and Dec and a British beer is the day I top myself
Old Apr 24th 2009, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Back in Scotland after two dreadful years in Brisbane.
maka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DianneH68
Jeez, the day I dream of Ant and Dec and a British beer is the day I top myself
What the blazes do you dream of??
Gospel on a Sunday morning and wacky home movies on a Saturday night...Like Radiohead sing of"Nice dreams"!!

AHHHH Blesss...

She's missing Blighty...Someone tuck her in!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.