Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What age should a girl have her ears pierced?

Wikiposts

What age should a girl have her ears pierced?

Old Jan 18th 2009, 11:34 am
UK-Syd Feb 2009 = HAPPY!

lerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to all
Default Re: What age should a girl have her ears pierced?

Secondary school was the 'law' in our house for it. My elder sister had hers done then, and wasn't allowed her second holes in until she was 16.

I wasn't that fussed, got one pair done when I was 17 ish, then 2 pairs done at the same time on a whim on a shopping trip to a mall on my gap year!

I think the rule of thumb of being old enough and responsible enough to look after them is good. I won't let my kids (when I have them!) get them done until they are at least 10.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 11:37 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
My wife tried to make the argument that our daughters should be done at 8wks of age so they never have to remember the pain... (and seemed surprised that I was shocked and appalled by this - perhaps its a Philippino thing?!)

It was a rare victory that I managed to win that debate and now I think we're agreed that they can go ahead once they're old enough to:
1) Make it their decision
2) Look after themselves hygene-wise
3) Pay for it themselves!
It is a cultural thing in some parts of Asia, DadAgain, and also I think the fact that it's done and healed before they start rolling around. I'd still worry about them once they reached the playground but what do I know, not even a parent.

(plantpot, remind me again, what was it you needed advice on? )
Old Jan 18th 2009, 12:24 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

It pretty cultural in some parts of Spain too...

My little girl had hers done when she was 6 years old.. we lived then near family and she had a lot of older cousins who all had theirs done.. I gave in and let her have them done when she came home from school with a "student of the week" award (not just her class, out of the whole school!).. so that was that...

She screamed when they were done and just cried and cried... I was yelling at the shop assistant "get her a mirror! get her a mirror!"... as soon as the mirror was thrust into my hands, I showed her the new sparkly studs gleaming away and she shushed up instantly! Then she had a big grin and spent the whole day preening in the mirror! Such a female! rofl!

Just a word of advice... when looking after the ears, don't bother with cotton wool and the antiseptic.. get some spray antiseptic (like a woundwash) and spray the ear lobes as much as possible.. spray, twist the earing and spray.. then when you can take out the earring.. spray the lobes and the earring with the antiseptic before you put the earring back in... it helps them heal up properly...plus helps the earring become slippery so its easier to put back in!

Em x
Old Jan 18th 2009, 12:38 pm
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

my daughter had to wait till she was 10. when she had then done it was a nightmare as she had an infection or a bad reaction and she had a shocking blistery infection that covered her ear, down her face on one side and on her neck. all I can say is we had done everything we could (and that we were told to do for new piercing care) but we ended up at the doctors for some serious antibiotics.
When were kids we had it done at the jewellers, it was a bit more reassuring that a more 'mature' person who had received training (probably) did the piercing. I was surprised as here it was done in the chemists by what can only be described as a young girl. Dont know if her equipment cleanliness was an issue (who can see germs?) but it was not a positive experience (that was diplomatic eh?).she did have them re pierced after much thought 18 months later and they were fine this time.
One other thing to consider- ask the school what thier policy is on earrings as our school forbids them and so if you have to remove the earrings too early you may have wasted your time and money so best to do it at the beginning of school holidays like xmas
Old Jan 18th 2009, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter had hers done for her 12th birthday which was fine cos she looked after the hygiene well and had no problems. One day, a few years later, I came home from work to find her writhing on the floor in agony clutching her ear. She had, unbeknown to me, had one hole pierced further up her ear cartilage which had then become infected and the stud ended up lodged under the skin! I took her to A&E and it was very painful as they had to pick the earring out from where it had become lodged. Yukk!

I had mine done when I was about 15 on the same day as my mum and gran. I got bored with them after a few years and let the holes close up but just over a year ago, before I emigrated, I had them redone. They don’t use the same hole that has healed up so pierce close by.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 1:05 pm
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

My daughter has just had hers done at 10 - she was about the only child in her class without her ears pierced so while I would have liked her to wait a couple more years I decided she was old enough to decide and I will only let her wear small studs for some time. It is individual choice but I personally don't like to see earrings on under 8s and my daughter won't be allowed any further piercings until she is 18 - unless she leaves home before that!
Old Jan 18th 2009, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

My 15 year old has just had hers done for the third time as she let the holes close up the first two times!I would not pay for them and said she had to pay for them herself this time and turn the earings etc.She can now change them but can't get the back off one of them.Does anyone know what will help as I have tried but she is a bit of a wimp and will not let me try to hard!

My middle daughter had her done at 10 and now the four and a half year old wants her done as her olders sisters and best friend have theirs done.I think she is a bit young yet.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

My daughter begged to have them done from age 5, as some of her friends had them done, but I thought she was too young. I had to wait until I was 15. In the end I gave in when she was 6 1/2 if she promised to behave and focus during her ballet exam. She was so focussed she got honours. I got mine re-pierced at the same time. She only needed help to put them in the first few times and had no problem cleaning them, although she's lost a few. Our school allows studs but no loops, rings or danglies. Some of her sports like gym and Taekwondo required even studs to be removed, so we just had to try to remember to remove them before we got there. As you're not supposed to take them out for the first 6 weeks, it pays to check if your daughter is involved in sport and get them done in the long school holidays if necessary.

It's a personal thing. Friends of mine lived in India and Bangladesh and adopted the local custom of baby piercing for their girls. But the pain involved is minimal unless you get an infection.

Last edited by kiwinow; Jan 18th 2009 at 1:46 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

I had mine done when I was 11, as did my sister. I think it's a good age - old enough to know they want it for themselves rather than it being a parent decision and old enough to take care of the ears themselves!
Old Jan 18th 2009, 2:25 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

As a mother with 13 piercings in one ear including a Bar and a hubby with a similar number, I insisted my children were old enough to clean and change their own earnings. They were also taught which earrings where appropriate and when.

Son has removed his earring but still has a hole, daughter at 16 is looking for extra piercings and has at time done some for herself. I have said further facial and body piercings have to wait till they have left home and pay for it all themselves. To be honest I do not have an issue now with belly piercing - it all seems a little passe to me - I am only hoping to avoid the tattoo crazes I am seeing around - like youngsters having their legs done. Or the large holes being created in earlobes. Things that might make a permanent change to their bodies which requires treatment to be removed later worry me.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 3:38 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by squeezzii
One other thing to consider- ask the school what thier policy is on earrings as our school forbids them and so if you have to remove the earrings too early you may have wasted your time and money so best to do it at the beginning of school holidays like xmas
Most schools seem to allow studs only.

My daughter had hers done at 18 months, while I wasn't around to object !!

Old Jan 18th 2009, 3:40 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

My daughters school doesnt seem to mind.. she wears very small sleeper earrings..

My husband didnt know either.. didnt even occur to me to ask him! Twas only after when my friend said "what will D think?" that I thought.. hmmm?

Em x
Old Jan 18th 2009, 3:54 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it looks like I'm in the minority here. My daughter got hers done at 6 months. I always thought it easier for me to take care of the initial cleaning and not rely on a 10 year old to do it. She's never had a problem with keeping her ears or her earrings clean. It's second nature, just like washing her face or brushing her hair...Just something you do in the morning.

The first time I got mine done my sister used a darning needle and ice cubes on me. I was 5. My mother was understandably upset, and made me let them close up. I needed an operation on my leg the following year and refused to let the doctor even look at it unless she agreed to allow me to have my ears pierced again, so got them done again at 6. Second holes at 15.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

I was 11, and that was many years ago! At seventeen I got my nose done which did not go down too well! It neednt hurt nowadays with a decent peircer.

I don't wear anything in my nose nowadays, but my ears are still fine.

In my day it was get your ears peirced and have your hair cut, a little right of passage!
Old Jan 18th 2009, 5:02 pm

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

My daughter is 4 and she asks me daily can she have them pierced. Every day. For about 6 months when she was actually 3.

I am telling her she can have it done for her 21st but she is not wearing it.

I think maybe 11? Just before high school or when they are in the first year - thats when I started wanting to be a teenager

Viv

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.