Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What age do you hope to stop working?

Wikiposts

What age do you hope to stop working?

Old May 4th 2009, 9:04 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What age do you hope to stop working?

If we want to stay happy we need someone to love, something to do and something to look forward to. Retirement doesn't fit in with the last couple of those too well..
Old May 4th 2009, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Dorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really nice

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
If we want to stay happy we need someone to love, something to do and something to look forward to. Retirement doesn't fit in with the last couple of those too well..
Very philosophical and oh so true!!
Old May 4th 2009, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, thats nonsense. If you can't occupy your mind when your retired then you've obviously already lost the plot.

The longest time I've had off work in the last 24 years is 4 months...

And I bloody loved it! I read all the books I'd been meaning to read, got some stuff around the house done, spent some quality time with my family, and in the middle of all that got myself a contract job with IBM.

I can't wait to retire. Hopefully in a few years

JTL
Old May 4th 2009, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
That's the biggy. My dad retired when he was 65. Bored rigid, managed to get himself taken on in his old position on a consultancy basis for another five years then they said thanks but no thanks. Three years later he was dead from boredom and drink. It's not the be all and end all unless you truly have shedloads of hobbies and the money to enjoy them.
My father spent years going with out, to be able to enjoy it when he retired.
But he did not manage to as he died at the age of 64.
Old May 5th 2009, 12:01 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Nope, thats nonsense. If you can't occupy your mind when your retired then you've obviously already lost the plot.

The longest time I've had off work in the last 24 years is 4 months...

And I bloody loved it! I read all the books I'd been meaning to read, got some stuff around the house done, spent some quality time with my family, and in the middle of all that got myself a contract job with IBM.

I can't wait to retire. Hopefully in a few years

JTL
... and the longest time I have had off in 33 years is two weeks. What you had was a break, not retirement, and that's a whole different mindset. You assumed you would be returning to work at some point and that's what happened. Retirement means the end of your normal working life and takes huge adjustment. If you think you can just take it like a normal break from work then you might face a very nasty shock.

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; May 5th 2009 at 12:07 am.
Old May 5th 2009, 12:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

... and the longest time I have had off in 33 years is two weeks. What you had was a break, not retirement, and that's a whole different mindset. You assumed you would be returning to work at some point and that's what happened. Retirement means the end of your normal working life and takes huge adjustment. If you think you can just take it like a normal break from work then you might face a very nasty shock.
Well, just to get philosophical for a second. I think as people get older their brains slowly lose faculties. (obviously there are exceptions).

So whereas, at the moment, I need constant stimulus, work, 2 young kids, nagging wife etc, I don't think in a few years I'll need all that. I've watched my parents, and they can quite happily sit on our patio all afternoon... mostly sleeping, but otherwise reading a book.

I love reading books, and sleeping, so I can't wait to retire.

JTL
Old May 5th 2009, 12:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm am I the only one that thinks Kids are more expensive than Mortgages ?

At age 54 I've still got a just turned 11 year old to bring up, and my 15 year old Daughter bless her, turns out to be a genius on the Viola... which on top of everything else.... See my posts on orthodontics.... is probably going to cost me 55 bucks per hour. She is a better Viola player than her Violin Teacher, who cannot go any further with her.

This bloke... her current teacher says and I quote, my career is over... its my turn to make you famous now. He is referring her to the top Viola player in Victoria.

http://www.move.com.au/artist.cfm/706

There is always f....ing something LOL !!!!

Freaky....

So no, I wont be retiring for a while yet dammit...
Old May 5th 2009, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

Dorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really nice

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Hmm am I the only one that thinks Kids are more expensive than Mortgages ?

At age 54 I've still got a just turned 11 year old to bring up, and my 15 year old Daughter bless her, turns out to be a genius on the Viola... which on top of everything else.... See my posts on orthodontics.... is probably going to cost me 55 bucks per hour. She is a better Viola player than her Violin Teacher, who cannot go any further with her.

This bloke... her current teacher says and I quote, my career is over... its my turn to make you famous now. He is referring her to the top Viola player in Victoria.

http://www.move.com.au/artist.cfm/706

There is always f....ing something LOL !!!!

Freaky....

So no, I wont be retiring for a while yet dammit...

A moments impatience - a lifetime of remorse!!

But you wouldn't be without them........
Old May 5th 2009, 1:22 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Well, just to get philosophical for a second. I think as people get older their brains slowly lose faculties.

I think you may be right.

Can't think of any other reason I am still in this Godforesaken country

At least here I still seem to be intelligent.
Old May 5th 2009, 12:31 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I agree 100%. If I make retirement be it at 60 or earlier I'll have plenty to occupy me (assuming I have my health). I'd do loads more in the fire brigade than I currently do, join the SES, I'd help out at the hospital, gardening, going fishing, keeping fit. I can't wait...
Old May 5th 2009, 12:47 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Well, speaking for myself, I can't wait to retire. I'm looking forward to that time in my life when I have enough $$$ to be able to say "right, I don't need to do that job anymore.... what sort of things do I want to do today?"

I can't really comprehend the idea that I will get bored without "work". I work to earn money to provide security for my family and so that I can do the things that I enjoy doing. I don't go to work in order to get enjoyment, stimulation or fulfillment.

Reading some posts on here, kind of reminds me of the old guy Brookes in "the shawshank redemption"......the poor fella left prison after 30yrs but had become so institutionalised that he couldn't face the freedom of the real world.

Perhaps a similar kind of thing happens to people who have spent their whole lives working...when they retire, they just get bored and don't know what to do with themselves.

Dear Fellas, I can't believe how fast things move on the outside. I saw an automobile once when I was a kid. But, now they're everywhere. The world went and got itself in a big damn hurry. The parole board got me into this halfway house called the Brewer, and a job bagging groceries at the Foodway. It's hard work, and I try to keep up, but my hands hurt most of the time.
Old May 5th 2009, 12:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by renth
I agree 100%. If I make retirement be it at 60 or earlier I'll have plenty to occupy me (assuming I have my health). I'd do loads more in the fire brigade than I currently do, join the SES, I'd help out at the hospital, gardening, going fishing, keeping fit. I can't wait...
Fair bit of physical activity planned there for a guy in his 60's.
Old May 5th 2009, 1:51 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Fair bit of physical activity planned there for a guy in his 60's.
I don't think I'll ever stop.

Oh, wait, I misread the title of the thread. I thought it said "What age do you hope to stop wanking" !!