Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

what age did you marry

what age did you marry

Old Nov 25th 2008, 8:21 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what age did you marry

Originally Posted by Capt Emz I Think
Hey I had both my kids christened too, but I was dead against it for years - eventually I did it cos the ex's sister was getting her kid done at the same time. My youngest was 9 months and my eldest was 7 - ha ha so you can imagine that he couldnt wear a christening robe
I had mine done for 2 reasons though neither I or OH are particularly religious.

1. We live in Italy where as archaic as it seems, some groups will not allow non - catholic children to participate ... like scouts for example - though this will have to change with the ever growing number of non - catholics here.

2. It was a great reason to get the whole family together for a big party in England and as both myself and OH were christened Catholics we weren't actually having to renounce any other faith whilst not wholly participating in the faith itself.

That might not make sense and I'm sure if I'd said that to any Italian I'd have set myself up for a lot of gripe - but hey..... I asked the priest if he would baptise my kids even though we were not married and he said "little children come unto me".
Old Nov 25th 2008, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I had mine done for 2 reasons though neither I or OH are particularly religious.

1. We live in Italy where as archaic as it seems, some groups will not allow non - catholic children to participate ... like scouts for example - though this will have to change with the ever growing number of non - catholics here.

2. It was a great reason to get the whole family together for a big party in England and as both myself and OH were christened Catholics we weren't actually having to renounce any other faith whilst not wholly participating in the faith itself.

That might not make sense and I'm sure if I'd said that to any Italian I'd have set myself up for a lot of gripe - but hey..... I asked the priest if he would baptise my kids even though we were not married and he said "little children come unto me".
I'd kinda guessed that was why - I had to look up on google where you were from at first and I realised why when I saw it was in Italy. My OH is a catholic and I am not - we are always winding each other up about it!!!
Old Nov 25th 2008, 8:39 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry - when I first discovered this forum it was only through the Italian part of it so I gave myself my name and the nearest city. If I'd realised then that every thread is visible to all I would have just written Italy ....

If I'd also realised that I would have been on here so many times I might also have decided not to use my real name but something whacky. Too late now I suppose.

And even though the kids can in the future - if and when needed - say "yes we are catholics" I don't send them to catechism classes which are held after school once a week. (A big thing still here ). The little mites have enough with homework etc. and don't need the shit of the sins etc that their parents got. yes - diferent times and not as many nasty and bloody awful priests and nuns around but I'd still rather take them to the park and not to church school.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Sorry - when I first discovered this forum it was only through the Italian part of it so I gave myself my name and the nearest city. If I'd realised then that every thread is visible to all I would have just written Italy ....

If I'd also realised that I would have been on here so many times I might also have decided not to use my real name but something whacky. Too late now I suppose.

And even though the kids can in the future - if and when needed - say "yes we are catholics" I don't send them to catechism classes which are held after school once a week. (A big thing still here ). The little mites have enough with homework etc. and don't need the shit of the sins etc that their parents got. yes - diferent times and not as many nasty and bloody awful priests and nuns around but I'd still rather take them to the park and not to church school.
I'm sorry to hear that Lorna - you must have had an awful time - PM me if you want . I went to a C of E school - worst I got was the ruler and having to sit on the naughty bench. Oh by the way my son is worried for tomorrow - he forgot to do his homework, so he got detention, then he forgot to go to that and now he will have to go into isolation (so he tells me), apparently he says that they dont do any work or anything in this room - oh dear!!! Teach him NOT to forget eh!!!
Old Nov 25th 2008, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Married at 31 he 27...
Old Nov 25th 2008, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Capt Emz I Think
I'm sorry to hear that Lorna - you must have had an awful time - PM me if you want . I went to a C of E school - worst I got was the ruler and having to sit on the naughty bench. Oh by the way my son is worried for tomorrow - he forgot to do his homework, so he got detention, then he forgot to go to that and now he will have to go into isolation (so he tells me), apparently he says that they dont do any work or anything in this room - oh dear!!! Teach him NOT to forget eh!!!
ah I suppose it could have been a lot worse- the worst I got from Church school in preparation for my First Holy Comunion was a rap across the knuckles from a Nun with a wooden ruler. I was still only 7 though and even though that same Nun died a long time ago I will never forget her name.

I will also never forget my first (and last ) confession on the day of First Holy Comunion. We'd been taught the ritual parrot fashion and mine started off well and then it went something like this :

Forgive me father for I have sinned.
- Tell me my child.
I stole a biscuit without asking Mum for permission first.
- What else my child ?
I hit my little sister.
- What else my child ?
Nothing! I'm a good girl I AM !!

Bloody hell - I'm now 38 and this is one of my strongest young girl memories. My little girl is 8 and I don't want her to have to do that. That was in the Uk too through sunday morning schooling because it pleased my Irish grandparents and I was the first born grandchild. My Mum (after me) never made my sisters do it and neither did my cousins.

Poor OH had to do it as part of normal schooling growing up in Italy and has never forgotten it either. Not least because his mum dressed him up in a tiny pin striped suit complete with dickie bow (passed on from his brother) and he couldn't wait to rip it off !

Maybe that is why to this day he refuses to wear a tie !!!!!!
Old Nov 25th 2008, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of

I was 25 and my darling wife was 32

Even though she did not look 32 but she was lucky to get a catch like me
Old Nov 25th 2008, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, its good to see others met hubby young too. Everyone seams to get married around 30 these days.
I watched the nest last night, and we were horrified with kids aged 25 and over still living with parents

I met hubby at 16 at art college. Love at first sight for me!
Moved in with him and engaged at 18
Married when I was 20 (well couple of days off 21 birthday) and hubby was 21.
Now been married nearly 18years.

Gems
Old Nov 25th 2008, 11:16 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

met - me 18 him 21
moved in together 2 weeks later
engaged another 2 weeks later
married - me 19 him 22
1st child - me 27 him 29
2nd child - me 29 him 31
moved to NZ me 34 him 36
moved to OZ me 39 him 41

still very happily married 20yrs later
Old Nov 25th 2008, 11:33 pm
Sharon

irishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud of

met 21 (OH)25
Engaged 8 wks later
Married 8 month later age 22
1st kid 22 (do the maths)
2nd kid 24
Been together 18 years
Still fighting lmao
Old Nov 26th 2008, 3:03 am
fin
heading home

fin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nice

I was 26 husband 32 - first marriage for both of us

been together for 7 years and married for 4
Old Nov 26th 2008, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

THORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to all

Met - Me 18 Him 19
Moved in together/had 1st child - me 19 him 20
Engaged - me 20 him 22
2nd child - me 24 him 25
married - me 30 him 31.

Still drive each other mad but also have a laugh together.

Jill
xxx

Last edited by THORPES; Nov 26th 2008 at 10:13 am. Reason: wrong age
Old Nov 26th 2008, 11:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Met - me 16 Him 17 (just)
Got together - me 18 him 18
Split up - me 18 him 18
Got back together again - me 19 him 19
Moved in together - me 19 him 19
Engaged - me 24 him 24
2 weeks later
Married - me 24 him 24.
First child - me 32 him 33

Still married after 19 years........ we will both be 43 when we emigrate YIKES
Old Nov 26th 2008, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by THORPES
Met - Me 18 Him 19
Moved in together/had 1st child - me 19 him 20
Engaged - me 20 him 22
2nd child - me 24 him 25
married - me 30 him 31.

Still drive each other mad but also have a laugh together.

Jill
xxx
Love the reason you edited it - did you forget your age or his
Old Nov 26th 2008, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

yanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of light

Married at 18, 24 and 42

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.