British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   What age of baby is good to travel ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/what-age-baby-good-travel-664950/)

muditha Apr 21st 2010 11:43 am

What age of baby is good to travel ?

My baby will be (July 2010) about 5 months when i'm thinking of going for validating. Will it be good age to take my child ? Is it too young for him to have such a long distance journey ?

Please comment those who have expirienced........

LouiseR Apr 21st 2010 11:48 am

Re: What age of baby is good to travel ?

Originally Posted by muditha (Post 8511665)
My baby will be (July 2010) about 5 months when i'm thinking of going for validating. Will it be good age to take my child ? Is it too young for him to have such a long distance journey ?

Please comment those who have expirienced........

5 months will be sweet! Anything over 18 months will be hard work. I travelled with my son when he was 7 months, absolute angel, he's now 22 months, not a hope in hell would I fly 24 hours with him now, we'd kill each other!! :lol: :p

Gems Apr 21st 2010 11:50 am

I used to be a frequent flyer with a baby (From 3wks old we flew every 2wks).

I found that 5months is good age, its when they are about 2 and they get bored easy and fidget like hell and want to run around the plane this is when its difficult.
Under 6months I found was the easiest flying they dont move about as much and still have plenty of naps, so easier to manage.

Gems

oz bound Apr 21st 2010 11:50 am

our youngest was 7 months when we came over on holiday and she was fine, would rather a baby than a toddler on the flight. She wasn't crawling or anything so was easy enough to deal with.

hth

Ellie x

JackTheLad Apr 21st 2010 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Gems (Post 8511679)
Under 6months I found was the easiest flying they dont move about as much and still have plenty of naps, so easier to manage.

Gems

And they fit in the overhead lockers.:p

JTL

elice_in_oz Apr 21st 2010 11:53 am

I agree with Louise and Gems. 5 months is a great age to travel. Any time after 6 to 8 months and they don't fit in the bassinet on the plane and you're stuck with them on your lap. When they start walking it turns into a real nightmare...

elice_in_oz Apr 21st 2010 11:54 am

Originally Posted by JackTheLad (Post 8511683)

JTL

I have been tempted to stow them in there a few times! :eek:

LittleKittyCat Apr 21st 2010 12:14 pm

When we flew over the first time, our eldest was 2.5 and youngest was 6 months old. Our youngest slept a large part of the time. Our eldest turned into the spawn of the devil! The second time we flew, our eldest was almost three and wasn't too bad (easy to entertain with Bob the Builder DVD's on my laptop) and our youngest was just turned 1. She was fine too.

I'd say that up to one year isn't too bad, between one and three no way, and after that is okay with lots of planning!

Kingseat Apr 21st 2010 12:15 pm

The less mobile they are, the easier. We've got a flight to Brisbane booked which is only 5 hours away and I am dreading it with my 2 year old.

elice_in_oz Apr 21st 2010 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Kingseat (Post 8511721)
The less mobile they are, the easier. We've got a flight to Brisbane booked which is only 5 hours away and I am dreading it with my 2 year old.

Did MEL-AKL with a 1 year-old and a 2 and 1/2-year-old... :eek:
All I can say is "portable DVD player" - kept the older one busy. Thomas the tank (I have boys) is our friend. So are Igglepiggle and Makkapakka :lol:
Can't remember what we did with the little one, think he just dribbled all over me and sucked on teething rusks for 5 hours :p
Best thing though is to let them walk around (when safe and under supervision of course) if they want to, it stops them getting too frustrated.
Good luck!

harrip Apr 21st 2010 12:46 pm

When they get to about 216 months they tend to travel well and not cause too much disruption for fellow passengers.

elice_in_oz Apr 21st 2010 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by LittleKittyCat (Post 8511720)
When we flew over the first time, our eldest was 2.5 and youngest was 6 months old. Our youngest slept a large part of the time. Our eldest turned into the spawn of the devil! The second time we flew, our eldest was almost three and wasn't too bad (easy to entertain with Bob the Builder DVD's on my laptop) and our youngest was just turned 1. She was fine too.

I'd say that up to one year isn't too bad, between one and three no way, and after that is okay with lots of planning!

My thinking exactly.
Hence why we're waiting until next year to travel back to Europe, when eldest is 5 and youngest 3 and a bit. They can overdose on DVDs for the whole trip and turn into couch potatoes for all I care, as long as I get some sleep :p
Last trip was 2008 (one was 2 and the other 4 months and it took me about a week to recover), with the return leg on my own :eek:

Zenshin Apr 21st 2010 12:53 pm

I would agree with other posters. 5 months old would definitely be a good age as they aren't mobile yet. We flew with our daughter at 6 weeks (an absolute dream), 2.5 years (more exhausting but we were well prepared with books and colouring in books and were even congratulated by the elderly couple sat in front of us with how well behaved she was), 5 years and almost 6 years which are easy as they are either glued to the tv or asleep.

Just make sure you get some sleep when your little one is asleep rather than watch the movies so you will be fresher to deal with him if he does get upset.
The airline staff are always great with families with babies.

al150n Apr 21st 2010 1:24 pm

Our daughter was 11 weeks old the first time she flew & 7 months the second time & both were really easy flights as she slept a lot. We flew with her again at 15 months old & she was a little bit of a fidget at times but was generally really good.

I think we've actually been really lucky with our 2 as they are very well behaved on flights, even on our validation trip (2 & 3.5 years old) we got compliments.

Just make sure you've got something with you that your baby can suck during take of & landing so their ears don't pop. Luckily my 2 both had dummies (although I did feed my daughter during a couple of the early take offs & landings). Now we just hand them a drink so that they keep swallowing.

Alison x

Dorothy Apr 21st 2010 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by JackTheLad (Post 8511683)

JTL

Or if the overhead locker is full they fit nicely under the seat in front. Much more than 6 months and they don't stow so well under there.

Originally Posted by harrip (Post 8511768)
When they get to about 216 months they tend to travel well and not cause too much disruption for fellow passengers.

My daughter will be 190.5 months when we go on our big trip. Perfect age!