Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What is it about Queensland?

What is it about Queensland?

Old Nov 4th 2011, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is it about Queensland?

Originally Posted by tonyk38
For the record, taking anti-depressants is a factor as well! When you're really depressed, you don't have the motivation to kill yourself. If you take ADs and they start to lift your mood, then your motivation increases. This is the most dangerous time in treating people with depression who are voicing thoughts of suicidality, as they now have the motivation to carry out what they have threatened.
But please don't be put off anti-depressants if you need them
Old Nov 4th 2011, 11:25 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lesleys
But please don't be put off anti-depressants if you need them
Indeed, but if you're actively suicidal, seek other help as well.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 12:18 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Suicide is the leading cause of death amongst 15-17 year olds.

Higher than all the other states

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...rom=public_rss
Perhaps there is something about "queensland" that is causing this anomaly.

OR - perhaps you are reading what you want to believe in a courier mail article...
Old Nov 4th 2011, 12:19 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
Perhaps there is something about "queensland" that is causing this anomaly.

OR - perhaps you are reading what you want to believe in a courier mail article...
Whatever....it is still an incredibly high suicide rate
Old Nov 4th 2011, 12:53 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever....it is still an incredibly high suicide rate
That article doesn't mention specific numbers G are you talking about the actual report?
Looking at the report QLD is 1.4 suicides per 100,000 Vic is 1.3 per 100,000
even that doesn't seem particularly higher than the rest of the world.

Here's a link to the full report http://www.ccypcg.qld.gov.au/pdf/pub...nal-Report.pdf

Last edited by cresta57; Nov 4th 2011 at 12:56 pm. Reason: edit to include link
Old Nov 4th 2011, 1:03 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
That article doesn't mention specific numbers G are you talking about the actual report?
Looking at the report QLD is 1.4 suicides per 100,000 Vic is 1.3 per 100,000
even that doesn't seem particularly higher than the rest of the world.

Here's a link to the full report http://www.ccypcg.qld.gov.au/pdf/pub...nal-Report.pdf
It isn't. There are many countries with higher suicide rates, but rates of young male suicides in this country are unusually high as a proportion of the whole.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Suicide is the leading cause of death amongst 15-17 year olds.

Higher than all the other states

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...rom=public_rss
Thats very sad reading, especially about the case of the 12 and 13 year old boys

The suicide rate in OZ is pretty high overall isnt it?

My teens are 15 and 17 in qld, live on the coast and seem to have huge social lives to the point your nagging about time for study

The older one sometimes visits a mate who moved 4 hours west of brisbane, and its seems to be parties and motorbikes, kids seem to have a ball which surprised me.

However in primary it was more sinister, in grade 6, a girl used to harm herself in class, once slitting her wrist on a table set up for a group activity. Jack saw it Later she got into the EMO thing, dont know if thats so big now but it was.

Main thing I notice is so many kids have problems at home, imagine trying to deal with an abusive home life and school pressure, also kids are incredibly cruel, I was shocked to the core with some of the bullying at primary school.

High school is a very cruel place if you dont fit in. Groups form early, everyone seems to be slotted into a type, each group has a name, place they sit, whos allowed in Must be a nightmare if you dont click.

Then of course the raging hormones added to it all.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 4:53 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

For the record, taking anti-depressants is a factor as well! When you're really depressed, you don't have the motivation to kill yourself. If you take ADs and they start to lift your mood, then your motivation increases. This is the most dangerous time in treating people with depression who are voicing thoughts of suicidality, as they now have the motivation to carry out what they have threatened.
This whole topic is so sad but we need to know, I suppose - if only to recognise and respond to possible warning signs amongst those around us.

Which are the ADs that are most commonly prescribed to teens in this country?
Old Nov 5th 2011, 5:35 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot imagine what it must be like to feel so low that a person feels that the only way out is to end their life.

Old Nov 5th 2011, 5:46 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by paulry
This whole topic is so sad but we need to know, I suppose - if only to recognise and respond to possible warning signs amongst those around us.

Which are the ADs that are most commonly prescribed to teens in this country?
I don't know the stats but would reasonably assume that it would mostly be Mirtazepine, Citalopram, its stereoisomer Escitalopram, Amitryptiline, Venlafaxine and Sertraline.

The thing to bear in mind is that because one works wonders for one person, it won't necessarily suit another. Sometimes this can simply be because of how it's metabolised: Venlafaxine for example breaks down into Desvenlafaxine in the body. For some, this process doesn't happen as it should, hence the manufacturers of said drug (Pfizer) are now marketing Desvenlafaxine, which is to all intents and purposes a metabolite of Venlafaxine. One would reasonably assume that the efficacy would thus be improved.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 7:29 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know the stats but would reasonably assume that it would mostly be Mirtazepine, Citalopram, its stereoisomer Escitalopram, Amitryptiline, Venlafaxine and Sertraline.

The thing to bear in mind is that because one works wonders for one person, it won't necessarily suit another. Sometimes this can simply be because of how it's metabolised: Venlafaxine for example breaks down into Desvenlafaxine in the body. For some, this process doesn't happen as it should, hence the manufacturers of said drug (Pfizer) are now marketing Desvenlafaxine, which is to all intents and purposes a metabolite of Venlafaxine. One would reasonably assume that the efficacy would thus be improved.
It's the same as for a lot of medicines I suppose, if one doesn't work that well or its side effect profile is significantly felt then another one can be chosen from the arsenal. We're lucky today to have so many choices of treatment I suppose. Until very recently human-development-wise the choices were next to nil. My dad's mum was treated for depression years back and it destroyed her kidneys. This was pre dialysis/transplant capability. She died aged only 49.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 9:49 am

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

We are partly to blame - by 'we' I mean professionally (education). Not in the way you may think though. From an early age we feed them bullshit - 'you can be whatever you want to be' - then suddenly, 16, leave school, and they reach the dawning realisation that it was all lies and they are at the end of a cul-de-sac with nowhere to turn to and no-one to talk to.

I was mentoring a girl a couple of years ago - she wanted to be a vet, always wanted to be a vet, everyone had told her she could be a vet. Trouble was, she simply didn't have the acumen or intelligence to realise that dream. She had been fed a line. Eventually we managed to find a compromise - a veterinary nurse. Last I heard she is happy training for that now.

Stop giving these kids false promises and unattainable dreams - it will just end in tears or worse. It is a fine line between encouragement and realism, but the consequences of the the former, if it goes wrong, are just too onerous for a young mind to cope with.

The media also plays it's part in this. I remember asking a boy what he wanted to do when he left school - 'be famous' was his answer. The method of achievement of that fame was unspecified - he didn't care as long as he was famous - and sometimes suicide is the nearest they are going to get to that dream.

So many sad, misguided, shattered lives. It is very difficult to handle.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 11:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Complete nonsense and if you had any inkling of what depression is and who it affects you'd never suggest such a thing.

No, they don't. They can apply for their Ls at 16 and have one year of being supervised.
Just a throwaway comment, MP. All I am saying is that some people pull through, others don't.

Cool. I wasn't sure if it was 15, or 16. I had the impression in some states it is very young. My point is that it's quite hard for a 15 year to die - of natural causes! So suicide has to feature.

Originally Posted by cresta57
What else would you expect a healthy 15-17 yr old to die from?
Cancer may take a few, drowning a few more, accidents a fair portion yet suicide must be way up there in any country, not specific to Australia or QLD.

So to summarise: If you don't live in a city your life is merely superficial?
That's what I am saying - there's not much else.

Superficial - no, I was talking about boredom, and less ability of some people to connect. Of course, regular readers of this forum know I like aspects of country life - it's other people who complain about the boredom in Australia, not me. It's other people who complain about friendships / relationships etc - I am just picking up on that.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 1:26 pm
Banned

It would be interesting to see historical stats going back as far as the 70s or further. I reckon it might provide some clues.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
It would be interesting to see historical stats going back as far as the 70s or further. I reckon it might provide some clues.
Start around page 30 for Australia.
http://www.health.gov.au/internet/mentalhealth/publishing.nsf/content/70A18138437EEA87CA2577B5007B7783/$File/NSPS%20%20-%20A%20Comparison-%20UQ.pdf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.