Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What is it about Oz that shits you to tears?

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: What's the most annoying aspect of living in Australia
utility companies treating you like scum
26.09%
supermarkets running a monopoly
47.83%
Banks taking this piss with charges etc
43.48%
everything is so bloody expensive!
47.83%
crap TV
50.00%
real estate agents
17.39%
sausage sizzles
19.57%
thongs/slippers/bare feet instead of shoes OUTSIDE
19.57%
living amongst Australians...(joke!)
17.39%
isolation from the civilised world
30.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

What is it about Oz that shits you to tears?

Old Jan 18th 2011, 5:14 pm
your fair weather friend!

unfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What is it about Oz that shits you to tears?

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Let me answer this one without a poll:

Utility companies treating you like scum Apart from a row with Vodafone/Telstra, I have never been treated like scum by any other company

supermarkets running a monopoly Doesnt annoy me, husband is a chef and manages meal planning and shopping quite happily
Banks taking this piss with charges etcIf we keep our account in a certain amount of credit, there are no charges and if not, they are not that much

everything is so bloody expensive! deal with it, you dont live in England, you live here - just adapt to your finances and quit comparing

crap TV Only have a few fav programs, so dont live my life around it

real estate agents Not had a bad experience with the two companies we have used, quite the opposite, got our deposit back within days

sausage sizzles No they dont annoy me, the ones Bunnings have near us does it to raise funds, far better than a pub lunch where noone benefits except yourself and perhaps your liver

thongs/slippers/bare feet instead of shoes OUTSIDE who honestly gives a flying shit about that, I mean really - do you get THAT annoyed on the subject? Having watched the events of QLD unfold in front of our eyes, QLDers mucking in to help one another in times of crisis and you worry about what people wear on their feet?

living amongst Australians...(joke!)

isolation from the civilised world quite easy really, move. If you cant move then make the best out of what you have and be grateful for it
so did you vote for that one, as you didn't make a righteous comment under it?
BTW you're not in Tassie are you?

Last edited by unfair dinkum; Jan 18th 2011 at 5:45 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 5:31 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by unfair dinkum
so did you vote for that one, as you didn't make a righteous comment it?
BTW you're not in Tassie are you?
Didnt vote at all and no I am not from Tassie but I do believe if something shits you that much, try and change it, move away from it or make the best of it.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 5:43 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

... if something shits you that much, try and change it
OK, who wants to join my new political party?
Old Jan 18th 2011, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
people who feel the need to troll every expat forum known to man because they are bitter and sad.
What's that got to do with Oz?
Old Jan 18th 2011, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burbage
I'll be up for that...

[Edit] Actually no. Getting into Australian politics would mean having to renounce my British citizenship.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 6:06 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
I'll be up for that...

[Edit] Actually no. Getting into Australian politics would mean having to renounce my British citizenship.

And Britain wouldn't want that would they?
Old Jan 18th 2011, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bix
And Britain wouldn't want that would they?
Who cares what Britain wants. It would mean I would be stuck in Oz.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 6:18 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burbage

This is a party political broadcast by the Burbage Party, there will be obligatory visits of all ethnic cultures, disabled people, one legged blind lesbians, and the cuddling of small children. There will also be a half hearted attempt at visiting terminally ill people in a hospice and the demonstration of washing the cup of a diseased person.

Only after you have seen this, you will feel able to vote, you can vote in one of two ways 'Yes' or 'Yes', there will be no democracy and you will be expected to vote in the local skimpies bar where the polling station will be.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

This is a party political broadcast by the Burbage Party, there will be obligatory visits of all ethnic cultures, disabled people, one legged blind lesbians, and the cuddling of small children. There will also be a half hearted attempt at visiting terminally ill people in a hospice and the demonstration of washing the cup of a diseased person.

Only after you have seen this, you will feel able to vote, you can vote in one of two ways 'Yes' or 'Yes', there will be no democracy and you will be expected to vote in the local skimpies bar where the polling station will be.
Is this about Queensland again?
Old Jan 18th 2011, 7:47 pm
ABCDiamond

The "supermarkets running a monopoly" does create questions, as the Supermarkets between them only control 68% of All Grocery spending in Australia. One third of all grocery purchases are bought elsewhere.

Tescos in UK has 30.7% share
Woolworths in Australia has 31.4% share

ASDA in UK has 17.3%
Coles in Australia has 21.6%

This is the actual full breakdown:
31.42% Woolworths
21.62% Coles
9.79% IGA
2.55% ALDI
1.50% Foodworks
0.95% Franklins
32.00% Non Supermarkets
These are the UK quoted figures:
30.7% Tesco
17.3% Asda
15.9% Sainsbury's
11.7% Morrisons
Top 2 hold 48.0% in UK (53.1% in Australia)
Top 4 hold 75.6% in UK (65.4% in Australia)

Some people may say that 80% is held between Coles and Woolworths.
The figures that quote the two major supermarkets having 80% of the market share, only relates to the Market Share of Packaged Groceries, which excludes Fresh food, Fresh Meat, Fresh Fruit and Vegetables and delicatessen products.

Those "excluded" products. make up a massive share of many peoples grocery shopping.

What is it about Oz that shits me to tears?
There isn't an option for my answer

Old Jan 18th 2011, 8:04 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The "supermarkets running a monopoly" does create questions, as the Supermarkets between them only control 68% of All Grocery spending in Australia. One third of all grocery purchases are bought elsewhere.

ASDA in UK has 17.3%

31.42% Woolworths
21.62% Coles
9.79% IGA
2.55% ALDI
1.50% Foodworks
0.95% Franklins
32.00% Non Supermarkets
30.7% Tesco
17.3% Asda
15.9% Sainsbury's
11.7% Morrisons

The figures that quote the two major supermarkets having 80% of the market share, only relates to the Market Share of Packaged Groceries, which excludes Fresh food, Fresh Meat, Fresh Fruit and Vegetables and delicatessen products.

Those "excluded" products. make up a massive share of many peoples grocery shopping.

Somehow, though, despite the carve up the market being pretty similar to the UK, the pricing in Oz is just so similar. Unless you buy out of date food Woolworths, Coles, Bi-Lo, IGA etc just don't seem to compete on price - not sure if Aldi is the same as there ain't one in Cairns.... I can't understand why there is no price competition unless they DO follow some oligopoly pricing policy.....Oddly, it's the same at Rusty's market in Cairns - about 50 stalls - selling groceries from the Tablelands - but all at exactly the same price!! It really is odd how the price elasticity of demand theory is just so unapplicable in Oz...
Old Jan 18th 2011, 8:07 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by brissybee
People who take polls way too seriously, whilst all around them floats.
You're getting karma for that.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 8:11 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Somehow, though, despite the carve up the market being pretty similar to the UK, the pricing in Oz is just so similar. Unless you buy out of date food Woolworths, Coles, Bi-Lo, IGA etc just don't seem to compete on price - not sure if Aldi is the same as there ain't one in Cairns.... I can't understand why there is no price competition unless they DO follow some oligopoly pricing policy.....Oddly, it's the same at Rusty's market in Cairns - about 50 stalls - selling groceries from the Tablelands - but all at exactly the same price!! It really is odd how the price elasticity of demand theory is just so unapplicable in Oz...
Have you ever looked at Tesco price check?

Often for an item the Tesco, Sainsbury & Asda prices for an item are identical or 1p different. Prices often seem cheaper than here but near enough identical to each other.

In answer to the thread, having watched tonight's segment on dangerous, substandard 'foreign fruit' I'll nominate the low brow jingoistic current affairs shows that get too much airtime!
Old Jan 18th 2011, 8:15 pm
your fair weather friend!

unfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

ASDA in UK has 17.3%

31.42% Woolworths
21.62% Coles
9.79% IGA
2.55% ALDI
1.50% Foodworks
0.95% Franklins
32.00% Non Supermarkets
30.7% Tesco
17.3% Asda
15.9% Sainsbury's
11.7% Morrisons

Well thought out response, but really pretty meaningless when you find yourself paying $200 plus for groceries for a family of 4. The prices are cripplingly expensive. Not just supermarket stuff either. Bottleshops, bakeries, and WTF is it with milk bars? Pie/coke/crisps last week (look it was Friday and I was too knackered to take lunch to work, ok?) cost nearly 9 bucks!!
Old Jan 18th 2011, 8:22 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Have you ever looked at Tesco price check?

Often for an item the Tesco, Sainsbury & Asda prices for an item are identical or 1p different. Prices often seem cheaper than here but near enough identical to each other.

In answer to the thread, having watched tonight's segment on dangerous, substandard 'foreign fruit' I'll nominate the low brow jingoistic current affairs shows that get too much airtime!
There was a far greater price range when I left the UK 4 years ago - bogof deals, some major discounts and packages also a huge range in the 'quality' - from Asda farm foods (pig swill) to Tesco Taste the Difference (pretty yummy on a par with M&S). It might be that I am just jaded with the lack of choice and crazy expense of the nosh here - grocery shopping in the UK used to fill me with joy planning the evening's cuisine, accompanying booze etc (yes, I am a loser), but here, it's a case of buying a lot less as it's so sodding exy and what is left on the shelf - often not much.... Safe to say when I go home to London I'm straight into the M&S food hall like a biafran ferret.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.