Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What is it about Aus that makes you..

Wikiposts

What is it about Aus that makes you..

Old Oct 19th 2007, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is it about Aus that makes you..

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
When you see people equating levels of income with social class, it's a sure sign that they don't actually know what a "class system" is.

A class system is a form of social stratification under which people born into a particular stratum of society are automatically granted superior rights and privileges, while those "below" them will have fewer privileges and limited social mobility.

While it is true that in Australia (as in most Western nations) people have a tendency to judge each other by their economic success (eg. a high-level professional with an expensive house and car will often be described as "middle class", this does not constitute a class system.

Economic stratification does not equate to social stratification, because social class is not determined by income; it is determined by rank, status, and privilege. This is verifiable: Lord Marlborough could lose all his money tomorrow, but he would still be Lord Marlborough; by contrast, I could win win Lotto tomorrow and buy a stately home, but that wouldn't make me a peer.

Australia does not have a class system; it simply has a population with varying levels of income who tend to describe each other's socio-economic status in the language of social stratification. This phenomenon is common to other Western nations without a class system, such as the USA.
Vash you've actually hit the nail on the head perfectly. Many sociologists and social commentators would agree with you on many of these points.

People always mix money with class, or fail to really analyse the varying levels of stratification. In any case it is often academic - literally, and depends on who you talk to.

The reality is that many stratification systems - a better term - are mixed - and in the final analysis, it's often influence that counts. That is why, for example, old academics, the poor gentry and eminent soldiers can be part of the establishment and why newly minted lottery winners aren't and never will be.

But certainly money helps somewhere out in the middle and everyone who feels they are at the bottom of the heap -our friend above - aims higher. Everyone else doesn't care.

Personally I belive in personal rationalisation, if you're happy you're OK.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
As for UK union reps, they would love a "class war". Before I encountered unions, I always believed they were a good thing. However, my experience of unions - in Oz and UK - is that they prevent change, thereby consigning most companies to the dustbin. Just look at the RMT union. I've dealt with some of these guys and they are dinosaurs. I just hope evolution deals them a fatal blow soon.
lol.

Christ Mike, did you sh*t the bed or something. It must have been good to get you here.

Agree on all you said, not just the bit I quote. You see - it's complex - not as simple as people make out.

I still feel that Australian is more egalitarian for a number of reasons many people identify. It's all relative.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 2:59 pm
KLF
What Time is Love

KLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Grayling
So why all the fuss when an Australian girl married into a european royal family?....it was never out of the news for ages.

G
And at the slightest opportunity they still flog it to death.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 3:04 pm
KLF
What Time is Love

KLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by themerlin
What ever it is I would like some.

rate you for being hard-working, thats almost as good as the one I read the other week "Oz has less red tape" lol
Oz has less red tape! That made me laugh.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Grayling
So why all the fuss when an Australian girl married into a european royal family?....it was never out of the news for ages.

G
Because it's a media interest. And marrying into a Royal Family would be quite exciting or interesting (or worrying) for many girls, as it was for one girl by the name of Diana.

See - it's influence that counts. Sex and snobbery sells, whether its cheap, nasty or established. (Hello magazine). In an age where everyone has a McMansion and a plasma a bit of old style living seems glamorous.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
What you have described here is social prejudice; not a class system.

The two are not equivalent.
Hmm good point. These monetary "classes" you describe would explain the sheer volulme of nouveau riche then!

Last edited by rabsody; Oct 19th 2007 at 7:43 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 9:09 am
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Because it's a media interest. And marrying into a Royal Family would be quite exciting or interesting (or worrying) for many girls, as it was for one girl by the name of Diana.

See - it's influence that counts. Sex and snobbery sells, whether its cheap, nasty or established. (Hello magazine). In an age where everyone has a McMansion and a plasma a bit of old style living seems glamorous.
Wasn't because she didn't marry an Australian and that made the news?