Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

We've been here for two weeks now! Time for an update!

Wikiposts

We've been here for two weeks now! Time for an update!

Old Apr 15th 2006, 11:41 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute
Default We've been here for two weeks now! Time for an update!

Hi Guys

Well we arrived in Sydney on 1st April (can you believe it!) and things have been moving pretty quickly since then. The amount of stuff you have to do when you first arrive is absolutely crazy! Thankfully hubby had a job (we're here on a 457 visa for now) and a friend of ours had already lined up a rental property for us but there was still loads to do!

Firstly the jet lag was far beyond anything I had expected. We arrived at 8am on the Saturday morning and tried to stay awake as long as we could but Jesus our heads were all over the place. I expected to feel tired but not to feel so physically exhausted and actually ill! It was very strange. Hubby and I were both the same - cold, shivery and light headed. It lasted a good few days too - thankfully that stage has passed now.

Weather has been great - only one miserable day in two weeks - can really complain at that for Autumn can you?!!

We moved into our house a week after we arrived and found it to be a bit tattier than we'd expected - no worse apparently than any other rental property in the area though?!! Its in a great location though with a part right outside, the school around the corner and more importantly a great entertaining area outside!

So in the time we've been here we have:-

Got our Visa put in our Passports
Registered with Medicare
Applied (and paid!!!!!) for schooling through the NSW Education Dept
Registered with the school
Moved into the house
Bought a car
Trans the registration of the car (and paid the stamp duty that we'd forgotten about!!)
Applied for our Aussie drivers licences and got them there and then - great service!
Set up our home phone
Set up Broadband (very important!)
Visited the Blue Mountains (only 30 mins from us which is great!)
Visited Featherdale (kids can get so close to the kangaroos its fantastic!)
Had our first barbie party!!!!! (many more of those to come!)
Bought Fridge, TV, Hoover, Microwave and Kettle (all in one go from Good Guys!)
Bought Beds (and got all the bedding including - great idea!)
Bought BBQ & Patio Set from BBQ's galore - fab shop!
Visited Mona Vale Beach (on the same day that it flamin rained - typical!!)

I'm sure we've done much more than that but that'll do for now I think!

We're enjoying it so far but we know that its not going to be easy. We're very fortunate to have a group of friends already over here who are more than happy to offer help and support when needed.

Waiting for our washing machine is a flamin nightmare!! Should really have gotten all the washing done at the launderette before Easter - can't believe almost EVERYTHING closes for the full Easter Break!!

The evenings are very strange here. As soon as its dark everyone seems to stay in their houses - very wierd! We walked back from our friends house last Saturday night at 10pm and didn't bump into a sole. There are hardly any street lights either so its pretty dark!! The days more than make up for that though!

The wildlife is great! Seeing parrots just flying around is unreal - all shapes, colours and sizes!

Take care all!

Rach, Gray & Dan
Attached Thumbnails We've been here for two weeks now!  Time for an update!-featherdale-025.jpg   We've been here for two weeks now!  Time for an update!-mount-tomah-botanic-garden-blue-mountains-002.jpg   We've been here for two weeks now!  Time for an update!-img_2574.jpg   We've been here for two weeks now!  Time for an update!-locals-birds.jpg   We've been here for two weeks now!  Time for an update!-img_2579.jpg  

Old Apr 16th 2006, 2:03 am
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We've been here for two weeks now! Time for an update!

Great post,glad your settling in, you have been busy! Good luck for the future.

Joex
Old Apr 16th 2006, 4:10 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We've been here for two weeks now! Time for an update!

Originally Posted by tygwyn
Hi Guys

Well we arrived in Sydney on 1st April (can you believe it!) and things have been moving pretty quickly since then. The amount of stuff you have to do when you first arrive is absolutely crazy! Thankfully hubby had a job (we're here on a 457 visa for now) and a friend of ours had already lined up a rental property for us but there was still loads to do!

Firstly the jet lag was far beyond anything I had expected. We arrived at 8am on the Saturday morning and tried to stay awake as long as we could but Jesus our heads were all over the place. I expected to feel tired but not to feel so physically exhausted and actually ill! It was very strange. Hubby and I were both the same - cold, shivery and light headed. It lasted a good few days too - thankfully that stage has passed now.

Weather has been great - only one miserable day in two weeks - can really complain at that for Autumn can you?!!

We moved into our house a week after we arrived and found it to be a bit tattier than we'd expected - no worse apparently than any other rental property in the area though?!! Its in a great location though with a part right outside, the school around the corner and more importantly a great entertaining area outside!

So in the time we've been here we have:-

Got our Visa put in our Passports
Registered with Medicare
Applied (and paid!!!!!) for schooling through the NSW Education Dept
Registered with the school
Moved into the house
Bought a car
Trans the registration of the car (and paid the stamp duty that we'd forgotten about!!)
Applied for our Aussie drivers licences and got them there and then - great service!
Set up our home phone
Set up Broadband (very important!)
Visited the Blue Mountains (only 30 mins from us which is great!)
Visited Featherdale (kids can get so close to the kangaroos its fantastic!)
Had our first barbie party!!!!! (many more of those to come!)
Bought Fridge, TV, Hoover, Microwave and Kettle (all in one go from Good Guys!)
Bought Beds (and got all the bedding including - great idea!)
Bought BBQ & Patio Set from BBQ's galore - fab shop!
Visited Mona Vale Beach (on the same day that it flamin rained - typical!!)

I'm sure we've done much more than that but that'll do for now I think!

We're enjoying it so far but we know that its not going to be easy. We're very fortunate to have a group of friends already over here who are more than happy to offer help and support when needed.

Waiting for our washing machine is a flamin nightmare!! Should really have gotten all the washing done at the launderette before Easter - can't believe almost EVERYTHING closes for the full Easter Break!!

The evenings are very strange here. As soon as its dark everyone seems to stay in their houses - very wierd! We walked back from our friends house last Saturday night at 10pm and didn't bump into a sole. There are hardly any street lights either so its pretty dark!! The days more than make up for that though!

The wildlife is great! Seeing parrots just flying around is unreal - all shapes, colours and sizes!

Take care all!

Rach, Gray & Dan
Great post, sounds like you've been busy

I suffered really badly with jet lag too and felt ill for several days on our validation trip in February. We're going out for good in June but at least I know what to expect this time and won't plan to do quite so much for the first week.