Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Western Bulldogs Go Doggies!!

Western Bulldogs Go Doggies!!

Old Oct 1st 2016, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Western Bulldogs Go Doggies!!

The team I have supported all my life won it's 2nd flag and 62 years between flags and 55 years between Grand Finals is a long time to wait. I watched all 4 of their finals games in Scotland and it was an incredible fairytale run.

Sadly my father and mother didn't live to see the 2nd flag but they would have been there in spirit - they were Footscray then Western Bulldogs diehards for 80 years.

It was a terrific spectacle and culminated in such a class act when coach Luke Beveridge gave his winners medal to the injured club captain Robert Murphy. 19 short of 100K at the 'G' and a ding dong match doesn't get much better.

That's it, my tribute to the Sons of the West. Over to the disparaging comments about Aussie Rules I expect.
Old Oct 1st 2016, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Western Bulldogs Go Doggies!!

Good match but I find it really frustrating to watch. It's like they all have a feed of beer beforehand and can't hold onto the ball or even make an easy catch. Obviously it was a very fast paced game but it was like a Benny Hill movie.

Bulldogs were definitely the better side and Sydney, even though they came back a few times, looked very worn out.
Old Oct 1st 2016, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
The team I have supported all my life won it's 2nd flag and 62 years between flags and 55 years between Grand Finals is a long time to wait. I watched all 4 of their finals games in Scotland and it was an incredible fairytale run.

Sadly my father and mother didn't live to see the 2nd flag but they would have been there in spirit - they were Footscray then Western Bulldogs diehards for 80 years.

It was a terrific spectacle and culminated in such a class act when coach Luke Beveridge gave his winners medal to the injured club captain Robert Murphy. 19 short of 100K at the 'G' and a ding dong match doesn't get much better.

That's it, my tribute to the Sons of the West. Over to the disparaging comments about Aussie Rules I expect.

Not from me Oz T.... I thought Footscray's last two games, the semi and the final were as enthralling as any close football match. That last quarter v Hawthorn last week was as good a game and as edge of seat fooball as you'd get anywhere.

Congrats to them, I'd say that was the best final in my 3 decades here.

I do have a problem with the way they miss free kicks or marked kicks at goal though.....but thats a topic for another day
Old Oct 1st 2016, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Not from me Oz T.... I thought Footscray's last two games, the semi and the final were as enthralling as any close football match. That last quarter v Hawthorn last week was as good a game and as edge of seat fooball as you'd get anywhere.

Congrats to them, I'd say that was the best final in my 3 decades here.

I do have a problem with the way they miss free kicks or marked kicks at goal though.....but thats a topic for another day
Agreed, certainly were 2 nailbiters to finish with but the against all odds win vs Eagles in Perth set them on the path and from then on it seemed their destiny. Nice stories emerging of how Jason Johanissen's parents left Joburg for a better life in Perth when he was 8, the Bulldogs gave him a chance, he didn't play for a few years, had a bad injury and many games out this year then wins the Norm Smith medal and a winners medal. Dale Morris also casually said after the game he played all 4 finals with a cracked bone in his back.

To give AFL its credit (compared to the other main code) they do use video reviews (e.g. Johanissen 'winning goal' disallowed for a touch on line) and you rarely see feigned injury and feigned tackles.

I'm sure you are getting all the news over there about football being mired in corruption and bungs (Allardyce barely in his £3 mill p.a. job and gets caught asking what he thought were agents for £400K to circumvent transfer rules; 67 days in the job and gets a £1 mill payoff whereas most working people get a P45 and on your bike ; then by contrast there's Luke Beveridge, quietly spoken, all for his players and club and supporters giving his winners medal to Murphy)
Old Oct 1st 2016, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure you are getting all the news over there about football being mired in corruption and bungs (Allardyce barely in his £3 mill p.a. job and gets caught asking what he thought were agents for £400K to circumvent transfer rules; 67 days in the job and gets a £1 mill payoff whereas most working people get a P45 and on your bike ; then by contrast there's Luke Beveridge, quietly spoken, all for his players and club and supporters giving his winners medal to Murphy)

Yehp, Portsmouth FC or Sheff United should look him up as a outside contender for getting them out of their respective troubles was one of my first thoughts.... Luke Beveridge I mean..... triple his wages and see how he goes..... football management is football management and should be able to cross codes.....To win flags at every level from 4th tier up is real roy of the rovers stuff and to my knowledge unprecedented, so he has to be a very rare managerial talent.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Oct 1st 2016 at 4:05 pm.
Old Oct 1st 2016, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I was at a BBQ, and it was on in the background. No one was watching it.

But we do have a common theme. The Cronulla Sharks are in the NRL grand final today and have not won in 49 years, which means they have never won. I'm heading out, way out to the worlds worst stadium to watch.
Old Oct 2nd 2016, 7:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Beoz
I was at a BBQ, and it was on in the background. No one was watching it.

But we do have a common theme. The Cronulla Sharks are in the NRL grand final today and have not won in 49 years, which means they have never won. I'm heading out, way out to the worlds worst stadium to watch.
I wouldn't expect you and your ilk to watch the main sporting occasion every year in Australia, held at one of the world's premier sporting venues.

Yes, there is a similarity between the Sharks and Bulldogs but I'll be supporting the mighty Storm to complete the Melbourne double.
Old Oct 2nd 2016, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Yehp, Portsmouth FC or Sheff United should look him up as a outside contender for getting them out of their respective troubles was one of my first thoughts.... Luke Beveridge I mean..... triple his wages and see how he goes..... football management is football management and should be able to cross codes.....To win flags at every level from 4th tier up is real roy of the rovers stuff and to my knowledge unprecedented, so he has to be a very rare managerial talent.
Yes, AFL coach of the year the last two years.

AFL grand final 2016: A coaching masterclass from Western Bulldogs' Luke Beveridge
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well done to the Cronulla Sharks too - there was a feeling of destiny that the 2 teams starved of success for generations would both triumph.
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

95% of the time, ANZ Stadium is rubbish, but on Sunday night it was rockin'.