Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Were your school years the best ever?

Wikiposts

Were your school years the best ever?

Old May 28th 2011, 1:44 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Were your school years the best ever?

Originally Posted by al150n
If you'd have said St. Georges then it would have been a different matter

Alison x
My sister always wanted to go to St Georges and managed to get her daughters in years later. She had a 'thing' about the green sports knickers. :eek She's family, you can't pick 'em. Mind you I was at Roundwood when SJL was Madland.
Old May 28th 2011, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
My sister always wanted to go to St Georges and managed to get her daughters in years later. She had a 'thing' about the green sports knickers. :eek She's family, you can't pick 'em. Mind you I was at Roundwood when SJL was Madland.
I wanted to go to St. Georges but my parents point blank refused after we visited the school & looking back I'm bloody glad they did. I started at SJL the year the name changed

Alison x
Old May 28th 2011, 2:38 am

lancastrian48 is an unknown quantity at this point

Primary /junior- fantastic -the best.
Secondary -not good at all.
Old May 28th 2011, 11:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Bullied all the way through secondary (comprehensive) from 11 to 16 years, as I was fat, wore glasses, was clever and spoke differently to the locals.

Loved the subjects- except cooking and needlework, which I gave up asap, miffed that because I was clever I was not allowed to do typing, and as I was a girl was not allowed to do woodwork or metalwork.

Sixth form was a bit better as I went to a boy's school, which took girls in the sixth forms- there were 14 of us, and to be away from the spiteful bullies was a relief. So nice to be with people who wanted to learn rather than torment the teachers and other pupils. I was not interested in boys really, so didn't take advantage of that aspect- not that any would have wanted me anyway.
Old May 28th 2011, 1:01 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

I was taught through my primary years by gaslight.

No complaints though. Good memories and some inspirational teachers in my life. I wish i had listened to them a little more.
Old May 28th 2011, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I do not have many happy school memories up until about age 15, then it improved and was ok until end of sixth form. Before then I was bullied and picked on for most of the time; in primary school it was usually because of my very overweight mother, children can be very unkind.

In secondary school, my family hit hard times (early 80s recession) and I was always the odd one out, couldn't afford school blazer, decent shoes, no money for tuckshop or the ice cream van or school trips. Also I was picked on for being tall (5ft 8 at 13) and super skinny. I can barely believe that was a problem for me then, what would I give to have that problem now

I never suffered at the hands of teachers, but I did put up with a lot from other children, although nobody ever saw how much it effected me. I was obviously never in with the cool kids but I did have my own small group of friends, two of whom are also in australia now.

I think my 30s have been the best years of my life.
Old May 28th 2011, 1:50 pm
West is best!

oz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to all

Some of you guys had it bad In comparison I had it good, the only real shit I had was getting mocked for my accent which was the same as everyone else's just stronger This toughened me up somewhat and made me very confrontational, I wouldn't think twice about approaching folk and having it out with them, and I always stuck up for anyone who I felt was being dealt the same shit I had been and couldn't fend for themselves. However, I got on fine and passed my exams, although I could've done better had I not been distracted by a certain young man who is now my other half!!
Old May 28th 2011, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Loved the subjects- except cooking and needlework, which I gave up asap, miffed that because I was clever I was not allowed to do typing, and as I was a girl was not allowed to do woodwork or metalwork.
I hated cooking & our domestic science teacher hated me too, the old witch!! The way the time tables had been done you could basically do cookery & textiles/cookery & woodwork/metalwork & woodwork/textiles & woodwork. I hated woodwork as much as cookery. After a lot of persuasion my parents managed to get me in for textiles & metalwork. I ended up doing PE with half of the year on one day of the week & the other half of our year on the other day so that I could have the subjects I wanted. I was oddly enough the only girl to do metalwork

Alison x
Old May 28th 2011, 7:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Nope loathed school with a passion. Hated my headmistress but got my revenge eventually when she learned that I had become a teacher after my degree and was an ed psych. Think the shock pretty much gave her a heart attack!

Was well bullied, under enthused and generally unhappy for all of HS (see comment about headmistress above!) - primary school wasnt quite so bad, except for the bullying. Still, it didnt kill me and it made me stronger and definitely gave me a good appreciation for those poor disaffected, bullied kids I had to deal with during my career.
Old May 28th 2011, 8:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
A HUGE new playing field that I made the most of...

We had huge playing fields, 4 or so rugby fields in what was quite a small school.

Not the best days of my life, they seem too far away and even pedestrian - and I was a child - but they were fine. I did OK. I peaked too soon academically but still flew through exams. It was only much later I cottoned on to how lucky I had been.

I was a bit of a character in my final years but it was seen as eccentric behaviour in keeping with the school ethos rather than trouble so I got away with a lot.