Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

We're still mad cows...!!!

Old Oct 6th 2008, 8:52 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry We're still mad cows...!!!

They are appealing for blood in QLD, due to shortage of the stuff (must be in preperation for Schoolies) but don't want the Brits as we may be infected.

Can't figure out why they don't give English blood to English, Welsh to Welsh, Irish to Irish and Scots to Scots.

Of course we wouldn't want any cross contamination so we stay pure.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: A Small Village in Somerset.......out in the sticks
memewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: We're still mad cows...!!!

huh??
Old Oct 6th 2008, 9:28 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

This is nothing new, it's been a gripe on this board for ages. It is unfortunate though.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

memewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by comet555
This is nothing new, it's been a gripe on this board for ages. It is unfortunate though.

So, am i getting this right...

We go through a very strict visa process, which involves an in depth medical and blood tests, xrays, etc, etc.... yet when you get to Oz and wish to donate blood, they refuse because you are British??

Old Oct 6th 2008, 9:43 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by memewest

We go through a very strict visa process, which involves an in depth medical and blood tests, xrays, etc, etc.... yet when you get to Oz and wish to donate blood, they refuse because you are British??

correct
Old Oct 6th 2008, 9:45 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
correct

Garbage innit...
Old Oct 6th 2008, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

You'd think that they would want our blood knowing the checks we have to go through to get in the country in the first place!!
Well, i'll be sure to throw that flyer in the bin when we move out!!
Old Oct 6th 2008, 10:09 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

I went to give blood as I had in the UK, but they said because I had lived in Uk when Mad Cow Disease was around, no thanks!!! X
Old Oct 6th 2008, 10:13 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Yep...pretty stupid. They'll take mine though because I'm Canadian. It's not like Canada didn't have mad cow cases either!
Old Oct 6th 2008, 10:27 am
Account Closed

Machiavelli is an unknown quantity at this point

When we were told that we couldn't give blood, we asked why?

Apparently they don't want to take blood from anyone who lived in UK during the "mad cow" years.

They will take it as soon as they can test for mad cow, but unfortunately the only test they can do now is when we are DEAD!

It's a shame because there are many of us who would be willing to give blood, just as we did in UK. And, they are always advertising for donors.

Mxxx
Old Oct 6th 2008, 10:44 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Well it's their loss, let them suffer.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 10:50 am
Account Closed

Machiavelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Well it's their loss, let them suffer.
Hello You!

It's not really their loss, the shortage of blood and blood products could affect any one of us!

Mxxx
Old Oct 6th 2008, 11:00 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Machiavelli
Hello You!

It's not really their loss, the shortage of blood and blood products could affect any one of us!

Mxxx
Hello to you

Well in that case, they should let us give blood and use it only on us Brits. Problem solved.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 12:18 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

No. It's anyone who's lived in the UK for more than 6 months between 2 specified dates. It's nothing to do with being British.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
No. It's anyone who's lived in the UK for more than 6 months between 2 specified dates. It's nothing to do with being British.

Does anyone know what the specified dates are, as I was told anyone born or moving to the uk after 1985 it was ok to give blood, but someone else told me it was after 1996 ????? I also asked a nurse at the hospital (where I was havin blood taken at the time) and she didn't have a clue what I was talkin about...

Lol xx

Last edited by Keith&Lol; Oct 6th 2008 at 12:28 pm. Reason: added a bit more info for clarity

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.