Wikiposts

Webcams Skype etc..

Old Feb 19th 2006, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

Judes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really nice
Default Re: Webcams Skype etc..

Originally Posted by A dogs life
And Macs have this surreal ability to stop the microphone picking up the output from the speakers

Duh! The question is, has the technology been developed whereby you can have one family on one side sitting around a PC using a microphone and speakers, and another family on the other side using a microphone and speakers without the terrible echo.

Its not a stupid Mac/Wintel debate.
Did you ever get the answer to this? We're using Skype with my parents and to be honest I don't like it as we get feedback/echo all the time. Tried turning down volumes etc but doesn't seem to help. We're using freestanding speakers and Logitec mic. Maybe the problem is at my parents end but they're not very technically minded so don't want to confuse them ! Oh and with webcam sometimes it 'freezes' at their end.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 9:46 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

And Macs have this surreal ability to stop the microphone picking up the output from the speakers

Duh! The question is, has the technology been developed whereby you can have one family on one side sitting around a PC using a microphone and speakers, and another family on the other side using a microphone and speakers without the terrible echo.

Its not a stupid Mac/Wintel debate.
Mac lovers can't help themselves can they. That's another reason not to buy one - they turn you in to a smug git

When I chat to my mother, who insists on putting her mic in font of her speakers ( ) we get some echo but it's not unbearable. No question it's better with a headset though.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 9:47 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judes2308
Did you ever get the answer to this? We're using Skype with my parents and to be honest I don't like it as we get feedback/echo all the time. Tried turning down volumes etc but doesn't seem to help. We're using freestanding speakers and Logitec mic. Maybe the problem is at my parents end but they're not very technically minded so don't want to confuse them ! Oh and with webcam sometimes it 'freezes' at their end.
The webcam will do that sometimes, just when the network / internet gets a surge on. But if you have to use a mic and speakers, just make sure you keep them as far apart as possible.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 10:48 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judes2308
Hi.

My folks experienced exactly the same problem when we were using MSN Messenger to chat/cam from Sydney to the UK.

The problem was that my Dad was using his speakers to output the sound (from us ultimately) and he had a free-standing microphone for sound input. The feedback occured because his microphone was cycling the output from his speakers which we were getting and thus sending back. Feedback theory will probably prove that this is a "no-no".

The best solution would be for your parents to use a headphone with built-in microphone to chat to you. Plantronics make fairly cheap ones.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 11:38 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone used a bluetooth headset and if so how did you do it?
Old Feb 21st 2006, 4:57 pm
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

We've got the folks coming over in two weeks. They were over a year ago, and we set up a webcam to work with my brother and his nephews, and it worked quite well. But the audio was terrible. The obvious reason being we had microphones and speakers, so the microphones picked up the sound from the speakers and then echoed it back.

So for this time around I want to do it better. Me and my brother both have better PCs and faster broadband. So the question is, whats the best setup for the ultimate Oz to UK webcam and audio experince.

a) what messenger to use, Yahoo? Microsoft? Google?

b) What setup to use for audio, PC speakers and microphone? (how does that work without getting echo?) or Skype?(how do you use that?) Or just ordinary phone?

c) Any other tips and tricks people have learnt in the last year from using this stuff to see and talk to UK?

All advice and info much appreciated,

ADL
I'm in a similar boat to you - we want to speak/see the inlaws (well, the wife does!), however we never seem to be able to get the sodding things to work. There is not a problem their end as they use theirs to speak to/see a relly in Kansas. So it must be me, but I have a year old pc, new webcam and have tried MSN messenger and eyeball chat, and both just keep freezing up and the sound makes us like robots! I have suspended the firewall etc but with no effect.
Any suggestions anyone?
Steve
Oh, yeah - we have decent broadband both ends...
ug.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 8:03 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stevemich
I'm in a similar boat to you - we want to speak/see the inlaws (well, the wife does!), however we never seem to be able to get the sodding things to work. There is not a problem their end as they use theirs to speak to/see a relly in Kansas. So it must be me, but I have a year old pc, new webcam and have tried MSN messenger and eyeball chat, and both just keep freezing up and the sound makes us like robots! I have suspended the firewall etc but with no effect.
Any suggestions anyone?
Steve
Oh, yeah - we have decent broadband both ends...
ug.
We had problem when first using skype with our end ok and mothers end made us sound like Donald Duck she downloaded new driver for her sound card and worked fine after that.

You sometimes need to add skype to allowed programmes in anti-virus as well.