Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Wearing shorts in the office

Wearing shorts in the office

Old Jan 14th 2014, 3:32 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wearing shorts in the office

Originally Posted by TheCreature
They just look like they've stepped outside without their pants on. I thought most offices were so air conditioned, wearing a suit was necessary. Not having worked in an office in Aus I don't know. Linen is fab, providing you're not the one cleaning and pressing it.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

berserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TheCreature
No they are not.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
They just look like they've stepped outside without their pants on. I thought most offices were so air conditioned, wearing a suit was necessary. Not having worked in an office in Aus I don't know. Linen is fab, providing you're not the one cleaning and pressing it.
All the offices I have worked in are freezing cold so you go out at lunchtime and roast and then come back into the office and freeze all afternoon... I actually used to wear a scarf in my last place as I was under the aircon unit that was in the ceiling... shorts and socks.... can't see how they would be cooler... and even Brad Pitt would have trouble pulling that look off
Old Jan 14th 2014, 6:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

lol...what a look...

but there are a whole load of metrosexual looks that I thought looked hideous until no one ever seemed to notice anymore...

huge bins, beards and skinny looks....yet they are worn by many....
Old Jan 14th 2014, 7:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Honestly, it was a perfectly normal look in Bermuda. You get used to it and think it is normal too. Mr BS had pink shorts, lemon shorts, pale blue shorts and bright red shorts.

Here, no I don't find my office too cold (or the other ones that I sometimes work out of). I think they are mean with the air-conditioning and turn it on just about enough. I still find them too warm at times.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macy
All the offices I have worked in are freezing cold so you go out at lunchtime and roast and then come back into the office and freeze all afternoon... I actually used to wear a scarf in my last place as I was under the aircon unit that was in the ceiling... shorts and socks.... can't see how they would be cooler... and even Brad Pitt would have trouble pulling that look off
the problem I have seen is that some zones are cooler than others or people sit under vent..

I don't get the women getting cold thing...I thought it was women who would survive in a lifeboat with higher levels of bodyfat..
Old Jan 14th 2014, 7:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Honestly, it was a perfectly normal look in Bermuda. You get used to it and think it is normal too. Mr BS had pink shorts, lemon shorts, pale blue shorts and bright red shorts.

Here, no I don't find my office too cold (or the other ones that I sometimes work out of). I think they are mean with the air-conditioning and turn it on just about enough. I still find them too warm at times.
just needs to be adopted....people adopted flairs and stuff in the 70s....!
Old Jan 14th 2014, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/fas...shorts-to-work

Given it's 40 odd degrees in Melbourne, should men be allowed towear to shorts to office? I'm aware some do - (but can we make it smarter)?

I think part of the issue is that a lot of men tend to wear black high-synthetic clothing: on the one hand they want drip-dry convenience but then they get hot.

I reckon us blokes need to wear linen trousers and shirts to the office.

Even cotton or preferably, linen shorts and leather deck shoes or brogues with a linen long sleeved shirt (sleeves rolled up to the elbow) would be best. Even outside the office, linen is incredible in summer - yet men continue to wear cotton t-shirts that expose arm and neck..(to sunburn).

There is even a bit of discussion about the old fashioned look of knee-high socks and tailored shorts with smart shoes (brogues even) which died in the mainstream in the 70s.

If the Scots, and military men can get away with it, why need it be daggy. I actually think if many men wore that look it would actually become fashionable - in the way hipsters get away with looks that become almost mainstream.
We are this week

All external meetings postponed too cooler weather

Shirts that cover shoulders, shorts of reasonable length and sandals (not flip flops) for the guys. Each guy pays $10 for the week and the company $90 so we can forward $100 to a charity.

I have a car park for all my team in the basement so nice cool cars for them to leave in afternoon.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

berserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of light

We have mufti days during summer months.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 11:15 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I absolutely rocked the shorts look in the office between Christmas and New Year. Hawaiian shirt too. The boss looked ready to call the emergency services but fuggim.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

Perpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure anyone will take you seriously if you are wearing shorts in an office together with your shirt and tie, unless you live on a tropical island! However us men should be a bit wiser and stay off the polyester nastiness, opting for natural materials instead. Long linen trousers is the way to go.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 6:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Colonial Office allowed them for District Officers in Africa !
Old Jan 14th 2014, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perpetual Tourist
Not sure anyone will take you seriously if you are wearing shorts in an office together with your shirt and tie, unless you live on a tropical island! However us men should be a bit wiser and stay off the polyester nastiness, opting for natural materials instead. Long linen trousers is the way to go.
Talking of taking people seriously, I couldn't believe how relaxed the dress code here in Winnipeg, Canada is in comparison with Melbourne.
One of our first stops was at the local Service Canada centres - kind of the equivalent to centrelink/medicare office -and was greeted at the front desk by a bloke who looked to be wearing a fairly casual polo short, Fair enough until he came round from behind the counter to reveal he was wearing very short white shorts 'a la George Michael' and Lemon coloured socks...

Hubby wasted a good deal of money on shipping expensive suits across, which he wore every day previously in Melbourne (same job/same company different country) - and hasn't needed even so much as a formal shirt and tie in his office to date...
Old Jan 14th 2014, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
Talking of taking people seriously, I couldn't believe how relaxed the dress code here in Winnipeg, Canada is in comparison with Melbourne.
One of our first stops was at the local Service Canada centres - kind of the equivalent to centrelink/medicare office -and was greeted at the front desk by a bloke who looked to be wearing a fairly casual polo short, Fair enough until he came round from behind the counter to reveal he was wearing very short white shorts 'a la George Michael' and Lemon coloured socks...

Hubby wasted a good deal of money on shipping expensive suits across, which he wore every day previously in Melbourne (same job/same company different country) - and hasn't needed even so much as a formal shirt and tie in his office to date...
On the subject of taking people seriously I wonder how hipsters get jobs...I actually think if everyone wore Bermuda shorts it would simply catch on. the more I think about it the more I like it.

I'm going to see HR....he he
Old Jan 14th 2014, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm. If a Scotsman wore a kilt to work would it be discrimination to ask him to stop?
(and would someone need to check to see if he was wearing it in accordance with the rules..)
Don't know how much it would help on the keeping cool issue unless it were made of linen though (and then it's not a kilt but a skirt I suppose).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.