Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Wearing shorts in the office

Wearing shorts in the office

Old Jan 13th 2014, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wearing shorts in the office

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/fas...shorts-to-work

Given it's 40 odd degrees in Melbourne, should men be allowed towear to shorts to office? I'm aware some do - (but can we make it smarter)?

I think part of the issue is that a lot of men tend to wear black high-synthetic clothing: on the one hand they want drip-dry convenience but then they get hot.

I reckon us blokes need to wear linen trousers and shirts to the office.

Even cotton or preferably, linen shorts and leather deck shoes or brogues with a linen long sleeved shirt (sleeves rolled up to the elbow) would be best. Even outside the office, linen is incredible in summer - yet men continue to wear cotton t-shirts that expose arm and neck..(to sunburn).

There is even a bit of discussion about the old fashioned look of knee-high socks and tailored shorts with smart shoes (brogues even) which died in the mainstream in the 70s.

If the Scots, and military men can get away with it, why need it be daggy. I actually think if many men wore that look it would actually become fashionable - in the way hipsters get away with looks that become almost mainstream.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Jan 13th 2014 at 10:42 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wearing shorts in the office

It was certainly the norm in Bermuda for men to work tailored shorts with knee high socks and a shirt, even a tie and blazer for meetings.

I can't see shorts becoming acceptable here anytime soon though.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Linen shirts would certainly be good. Shorts, although comfortable just look naff, especially with socks!! (If you meet clients never wear shorts unless you are a tradie.) You could get away with long linen trousers perhaps. I do sympathise though. My OH has to wear suits, although he can go tieless unless meeting clients.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 10:45 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
There is even a bit of discussion about the old fashioned look of knee-high socks and tailored shorts with smart shoes (brogues even) which died in the mainstream in the 70s.
A bit of discussion where? Daggynobs.com? It died for a reason - because it looked ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

Did I say 'no' yet?
Old Jan 13th 2014, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say yes, but then again my legs are in better shape and smoother than 95% of the women anyway.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 11:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
I'd say yes, but then again my legs are in better shape and smoother than 95% of the women anyway.
cyclists have good tone but you'd never notice it under dress shorts...

have to be honest more than one girlfriend liked me dropping her off after a rugby match or coaching, just so that she could show off my thighs and shin height socks to her mother and sisters..

I'm with Bermuda, it's a classic look...only the feeble or unfit need fear it.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 12:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
cyclists have good tone but you'd never notice it under dress shorts...

have to be honest more than one girlfriend liked me dropping her off after a rugby match or coaching, just so that she could show off my thighs and shin height socks to her mother and sisters..

I'm with Bermuda, it's a classic look...only the feeble or unfit need fear it.
Yes, but that is about 90% of those who would wear them!!
Old Jan 14th 2014, 12:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Yes, but that is about 90% of those who would wear them!!
if the shorts come down to t'knees and the socks come to the patella....might be ok. Dunno!

Let's make long shorts and deck shoes officewear.
No hipster styles.

And please overweight Gentlemen, lose the short-sleeve , or polyester shirts! Why not roll the sleeves of a long-sleeved shirt...the shirt is then far more versatile...
Old Jan 14th 2014, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

berserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of light

Old Jan 14th 2014, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

berserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of light

Men should also be allowed to wear sleeveless shirts and skirt.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 1:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...s-8650585.html
Old Jan 14th 2014, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

TheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond repute

Same blokes on holiday?

Old Jan 14th 2014, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Shorts with golf shirts, okay... maybe. Shorts with coats and ties - bloody ridiculous.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 2:56 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

What's the point of shorts with long socks? How is that cooler*than trousers?

If I were a bloke, I'd go for just rolling trousers up on the way to and from work. Top the look off with a knotted hankie worn on the noggin. Sorted.

*ETA: I meant cooler in the temperature sense.

Last edited by Geordie George; Jan 14th 2014 at 3:01 am.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
What's the point of shorts with long socks? How is that cooler*than trousers?
It's cooler if the shorts are loose; but loose shorts, when worn with loose undies, usually create their own sartorial problems. Maybe the long socks could be sold in packets of three...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.