Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

We live here, why don't we support Wallabies ?

We live here, why don't we support Wallabies ?

Old Jul 4th 2013, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute
Default We live here, why don't we support Wallabies ?

I've read some pretty appalling articles in my eight years in Australia but I think this one takes the award for journalistic knob of the decade.

Seems that as we have the privilege to live here we should be supporting Australia and not the Lions. By that token I assume all Aussies in the UK will support England in the Ashes.

Having been to several Lions games the atmosphere has been superb, zero hostility just plenty of humour. The only thing that pissed me off was the Aussies booing every time we kicked for goal.

http://www.smh.com.au/executive-styl...704-2pczu.html
Old Jul 4th 2013, 11:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We live here, why don't we support Wallabies ?

The man is an idiot - I'd be quite happy for the Italians to support their national team if they played against England and were living in England. My OH is a Welshman born and bred, and will be supporting Wales whenever they play. After July 25th we will also be able to genuinely support Australia, as we become citizens that day, but it won't change our heritage, and if the land of his fathers puts a team out, he'll support it whoever it plays against.

It would be far odder if the British born did not support their old home team.
Old Jul 4th 2013, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis supper
I've read some pretty appalling articles in my eight years in Australia but I think this one takes the award for journalistic knob of the decade.

Seems that as we have the privilege to live here we should be supporting Australia and not the Lions. By that token I assume all Aussies in the UK will support England in the Ashes.

Having been to several Lions games the atmosphere has been superb, zero hostility just plenty of humour. The only thing that pissed me off was the Aussies booing every time we kicked for goal.

http://www.smh.com.au/executive-styl...704-2pczu.html
That article is designed to get up the back of British Expatswho live here and support the Lions, he want me/us to get angry and take the bait. He would probably like nothing more than an inbox full of rants about this and would probably cherry pick lines to try and back up his points and get up our backs further.

Best thing you can do with that kind of journalism is to ignore it and move on to more important things.

There is another female reorter in the SMH that tries to stir the pot up on social issues (usually gender, Elizabeth something or other) and it is purely to get a certain section of society to take the bait which will in some way back up her arguments and justify them, very poor journalism in my opinion, attention seeking drivel.

Ignore him, I will, it is what he would hate the most.

Last edited by Jon77; Jul 4th 2013 at 11:44 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2013, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Good point. Maintain radio silence folks.

Originally Posted by Jon77
That article is designed to get up the back of British Expatswho live here and support the Lions, he want me/us to get angry and take the bait. He would probably like nothing more than an inbox full of rants about this and would probably cherry pick lines to try and back up his points and get up our backs further.

Best thing you can do with that kind of journalism is to ignore it and move on to more important things.

There is another female reorter in the SMH that tries to stir the pot up on social issues (usually gender, Elizabeth something or other) and it is purely to get a certain section of society to take the bait which will in some way back up her arguments and justify them, very poor journalism in my opinion, attention seeking drivel.

Ignore him, I will, it is what he would hate the most.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 8:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis supper
Good point. Maintain radio silence folks.
indeed.

However, nothing wrong with supporting the Wallabies against any other non home country.

I personally think it's childish and churlish to support any team against Australia just because Australia has a strong history with England.

As far as that goes, it's out the window when it's not England playing.
I shout for the Lions against Australia but dont feel agrieved when they lose, bizarrely I shouted for the Rebels against a 3rd string Lions team as the Rebels were my local team, and I couldn't take the fixture seriously....I can however see why a Celt might shout for a home nation...
Old Jul 5th 2013, 9:16 am
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

For the same reason my old man didn't support England when he lived there as he's Irish and when we moved to Ireland I supported England not Ireland as I'm English - what's the big deal? I'd expect my kids to support England as that's where they were born and bred until moving here but wouldn't be upset if they did end up supporting the convicts. There kids however should be true blue Ozzies and support Oz in all matters (assuming they're born here).

Personally I'm more of an anyone but Scotland as they're the biggest bunch of one eyed knob jockeys with they're ABE campaign - tossers and that includes any member of my family that feel that way
Old Jul 5th 2013, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

I find it rather amusing driving around Melbourne on Australia Day with a NZ flag and no one notices

Go All Blacks
Old Jul 5th 2013, 9:10 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
indeed.

However, nothing wrong with supporting the Wallabies against any other non home country.

I personally think it's childish and churlish to support any team against Australia just because Australia has a strong history with England.

As far as that goes, it's out the window when it's not England playing.
I shout for the Lions against Australia but dont feel agrieved when they lose, bizarrely I shouted for the Rebels against a 3rd string Lions team as the Rebels were my local team, and I couldn't take the fixture seriously....I can however see why a Celt might shout for a home nation...
Yeh all that.

Not read the linked article because I can already imagine what it says and my right index finger has only so many clicks in it for one lifetime.

I do like to see the Aussies lose against all comers at cricket though ... I dunno, just something about that sport
Old Jul 5th 2013, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN
Personally I'm more of an anyone but Scotland as they're the biggest bunch of one eyed knob jockeys with they're ABE campaign - tossers and that includes any member of my family that feel that way
Are you sure you meant to write that?
Old Jul 5th 2013, 10:14 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

There kids however should be true blue Ozzies and support Oz in all matters (assuming they're born here).

Or that?
Old Jul 5th 2013, 10:33 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
Are you sure you meant to write that?
Originally Posted by rasen78
Or that?
you can both kiss my hairy arse my post my rules
Old Jul 5th 2013, 10:51 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

No lie in this morning then?
Old Jul 5th 2013, 11:02 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The thought of your hairy arse at this time of the morning?

Hopefully the kids are keeping him busy........

Now, where did we agree to meet those two nice Irishmen?
Old Jul 5th 2013, 11:14 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

woke up at bloody 0700 Food shopping, lunch, house viewing and chilling the order of the day as it's wet n miserable.

Followed by beer, pizza n RUGBY, COME ON THE LIONS
Old Jul 5th 2013, 11:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

woke up at bloody 0700 Food shopping, lunch, house viewing and chilling the order of the day as it's wet n miserable.

Followed by beer, pizza n RUGBY, COME ON THE LIONS
Errrrrr the question is being asked "WHAT house viewing?"

Lovely and sunny here, your wife is all decked out in her summer gear

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.